Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know the exact law on front license plates in texas?

i would prefer not to drill those 4 holes in my front, but ive heard of people being pulled over for no front license plate....is it ok if you have the license plate in your front dashboard?

i know a lot of benz and infiniti dealers dont even give you the front license plate....

id appreciate any advice...
thanks..

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
theazian said:
does anyone know the exact law on front license plates in texas?

i would prefer not to drill those 4 holes in my front, but ive heard of people being pulled over for no front license plate....is it ok if you have the license plate in your front dashboard?

i know a lot of benz and infiniti dealers dont even give you the front license plate....

id appreciate any advice...
thanks..
My advice - put the front plate in your TRUNK.
Do NOT drill holes, and don't put it in the winshield. You're right, a lot of dealers sell the cars without plates here in TX. Even if you technically have to have one, it's not enforced that much.
By placing your plate in the front window, it calls more attention to your lack of front plate on the bumper.
I'm in Dallas btw, no probs so far.

No holes in the front plate is worth the risk of a possible fix-it ticket, IMO. 8)
Where in TX are you?

·
2,360 Posts
Yeah, what bk said. The law states that you are to display both front and rear plates but I know a lot of people without front plates and none of them have gotten tickets as far as I know.
Well, except for the guy that got popped for 132 in a 60 mph zone in his Lightning last week. The cop threw in a ticket for no front plate just for spite.
If you get stopped for speeding or no seatbelt or whatever, they'll probably write you for the plate too. I doubt that you'd get pulled over just for the plate alone.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bk9 said:
Where in TX are you?
im in houston...

yea, figured i could just tell the cop that im waiting to go to dealer to have em drill those holes....i can show him that i obviously cant install the license plate by myself....

but when my car is like over a year old, i dont think that excuse will work haha....

thanks for the help....

G

·
theazian said:
bk9 said:
Where in TX are you?
im in houston...

yea, figured i could just tell the cop that im waiting to go to dealer to have em drill those holes....i can show him that i obviously cant install the license plate by myself....

but when my car is like over a year old, i dont think that excuse will work haha....

thanks for the help....

are you comming out to the meet tomm?

·
Registered
546 Posts
if you ever go out to car meets or anywhere near street racing gatherings.... you WILL get pulled over as an excuse to check you out. or get you a ticket since the suspect you of other stuff yet cant prove.

you also cant have the brackets on the plates now that cover any of the lettering :shame:

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
i've been pulled over for no front plate about 4 times already. been given one ticket. The law states that it's got to be mounted to the front most part of the car. (putting it in the windshield won't do) And to all you peeps with no side reflectors (i.e. body kit mods) i got whacked for that too. like 200 bucks a reflector. Moral of the story: Don't cruise po-dunk hick towns

:-?

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
95snoozer said:
if you ever go out to car meets or anywhere near street racing gatherings.... you WILL get pulled over as an excuse to check you out. or get you a ticket since the suspect you of other stuff yet cant prove.

you also cant have the brackets on the plates now that cover any of the lettering :shame:
yeah its a retarded rule, most of the dealership brackets cover the "texas" part...

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jdogg said:
i've been pulled over for no front plate about 4 times already. been given one ticket. The law states that it's got to be mounted to the front most part of the car. (putting it in the windshield won't do) And to all you peeps with no side reflectors (i.e. body kit mods) i got whacked for that too. like 200 bucks a reflector. Moral of the story: Don't cruise po-dunk hick towns

:-?

so would you just recommend me putting the front plate on to avoid trouble instead of trying to keep it looking clean?

thanks....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts