Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody read about this in the recent Road and Track. It sounds as good as the IS430 and the TRD supercharger idea to me. It would be great to see this made, but I will believe it when I see it. I was just curious to hear other opinions on this.

here is the article:

2005 Lexus V-10 GT

Reports of a supercar from Toyota are nothing new, but now comes word that a powerful 2-door is indeed being developed under the hand of Toyota's European racing division, the same folks in charge of the company's Formula 1 program.

This car will make its debut in 2005 as an aggressive 2+2. There were rumors that the rear-drive car would share chassis components with the Lexus LS 430, but we now hear it will be built on its own platform powered by a 5.0-liter V-10. Toyota engineers had been working on developing a V-10 engine for a while, but because of harsh vibrations above 6000 rpm, they considered using their tried-and-tested V-8, bumped from 4.3 liters to 5.0. However, the company's Formula 1 engineers have solved the vibration problem and the aluminum-block 40-valve engine has been given the green light. The powerplant reportedly will produce about 100 bhp per liter (500 bhp) peaking at about 7000 rpm. It will be mounted slightly aft of the front axle, mated to a 6-speed manual gearbox. A semiautomatic gearbox is also a possibility. Look for the Toyota to go head to head with cars such as the Aston Martin Vanquish and Ferrari 575M Maranello. The Lamborghini Gallardo and Porsche Carrera GT may also be competitors. Its price is rumored to be around $100,000.

The car will likely wear a Lexus badge. In 2005, Toyota plans to launch the Lexus brand in Japan, using this car as its main showpiece. Meanwhile, to spiff up the sporty image of the Toyota brand in the U.S., the company plans to reintroduce the Supra at about the same time. — SM

·
Registered
88 Posts
Geeez.. a tough decision... a Toyota or Lambo or Ferrari or Porsche??? what would you guys pick? I would pick anyone of them except Toyota.

·
Registered
360 Posts
whiteISmine said:
Geeez.. a tough decision... a Toyota or Lambo or Ferrari or Porsche??? what would you guys pick? I would pick anyone of them except Toyota.
Good luck finding a Lamborghini or Ferrari for $100,000. 8)

You probably could have picked up a used Boxster for what you paid for your IS you know...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Broomhead said:
whiteISmine said:

You probably could have picked up a used Boxster for what you paid for your IS you know...
$100k??? from my sources it will be around 150K USD:

http://www.pcauto.com.cn/newcar/abroad/toyota/10208/1206.html

http://lists.mr2sc.com/pipermail/mr2sc/Week-of-Mon-20020812/014157.html

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
whiteISmine said:
Lexus = toyota
Lamborghini = VW
Ferrari = Fiat

·
Twisties Addict
13,069 Posts
whiteISmine said:
Broomhead said:
whiteISmine said:

$100k??? from my sources it will be around 150K USD:

http://www.pcauto.com.cn/newcar/abroad/toyota/10208/1206.html

http://lists.mr2sc.com/pipermail/mr2sc/Week-of-Mon-20020812/014157.html
this is not the same car that is talked about in road and track!^^^^

·
Registered
360 Posts
whiteISmine said:
Broomhead said:
whiteISmine said:
Good luck finding a Lamborghini or Ferrari for $150,000. :lol:
Ferrari 360 is $140k... Porsche 911 Turbo is $110k
The original article above says "Ferrari 575M Maranello"... $215,000 (although I wasn't aware that the Lamborghini Gallardo was $170k). I never said anything about the Porsche. I'm not poking fun at you, I'm just saying that your comparison is about the same as when people compare the E46 M3 to the IS300. Different class of car, different price. If you can find a new Gallardo or Maranello for $100k, then you have a point.

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
blueIS said:
whiteISmine said:
Lexus = toyota
Lamborghini = VW
Ferrari = Fiat
precisely. Someone said it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Broomhead said:
whiteISmine said:
Broomhead said:
whiteISmine said:
Good luck finding a Lamborghini or Ferrari for $150,000. :lol:
Ferrari 360 is $140k... Porsche 911 Turbo is $110k
The original article above says "Ferrari 575M Maranello"... $215,000 (although I wasn't aware that the Lamborghini Gallardo was $170k). I never said anything about the Porsche. I'm not poking fun at you, I'm just saying that your comparison is about the same as when people compare the E46 M3 to the IS300. Different class of car, different price. If you can find a new Gallardo or Maranello for $100k, then you have a point.
oh my bad... :D

I was just thinking 0-60 on Porsche 911Tur is 4.5 and this Lexus is around 4.x ish... :D

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Well that would be hella cool if they came out with something like that....maybe then they would start making higher horsepower cars (IS) :D

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
whiteISmine said:
If the Toyota meets all of your needs and is not overpriced in comparison to what you get, then why wouldn't you pay that much for it? When you buy a car, you don't get it for the marque do you?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts