Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, some of you know my back story and that I have owned two IS350's. My first was returned as a Lemon, pursuant to NJ's Lemon Law and I am on my second right now a 2008 with about 16,000 miles on it.

I come from a family of Lexus owners with no less than 7 Lexus' in the family, either past or present. Right now, we have a 2008 IS350 (me), 2008 ES350 (Dad), 2006 GX (Sister), 2005 RX (other sister).

I am and have been a HUGE fan of Lexus/Toyota vehicles but am a bit disillusioned by them of late and wanted to share my thoughts. Aside from the fact that my customer service experience has been abysmal with Lexus since I got IS #1, I don't think the overall quality of my IS is what I expected.

I mean this beyond the Lemon I got rid of and even with my current car. It seems I've always got a shake, rattle or roll to worry about and the fit and finish of this car is slightly below what I was expecting.

Are my expectations to high? Maybe. Lexus might be a victim of it's own success (in terms of what Lexus buyers expect from their cars), but my family has bought Lexus since 1991 and I am 100% convinced the quality of their cars has dropped off over the last 10 years.

Maybe, some will think I'm crazy and I might be, but this current round of recalls and the handling of the recall is making me a bit concerned. When the time comes, will I buy Lexus again? I don't know.

I don't see myself jumping to BMW or Mercedes, but my gut tells me that Toyota might not be making the "best" cars anymore. What say you?

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
The only recall that has applied to my IS350 is the floormat one... which (IMHO) is about the dumbest recall in history.

recalling a car because if someone incorrectly installs the WRONG floormats the car might have a problem?

That said, I do think toyota in general has had some dropoff in quality control, but I have little doubt the current (overblown) press coverage of the issues will fix that going forward in pretty short order- meaning future vehicles should be a pretty safe bet for leading the industry in quality again.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That said, I do think toyota in general has had some dropoff in quality control, but I have little doubt the current (overblown) press coverage of the issues will fix that going forward in pretty short order- meaning future vehicles should be a pretty safe bet for leading the industry in quality again.
There is a part of me which believes that society like to bring down the top dog whenever they can. With GM, it took years and a lot of bad cars, so maybe now it is just Toyota's turn to be the focus.

Not sure what to think, just a bit underwhelmed with the quality of my IS (oh and for the record, both my summer and winter floor mats are "Lexus" mats, fit perfectly and I've had not issues).

·
Registered
620 Posts
I can totally sympathize for your experience, but I have had the totally opposite experience. My family was a mixed Toyota / Honda crew, I started with a Civic and have been on my IS since 2002. All of our cars were bought brand new from a Lexus or Toyota dealer, and their service was always amazing. None of us Lexus/Toyota owners have had any issues with our respective vehicles since purchase. Maybe we are just lucky? I doubt it.

You bought your IS brand new, correct? not used?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, both of my IS's were brand spakin new.

If I took you through what I went through with my dealership, you'd be shocked, but I don't care about that as much as I do about the little problems I keep having.

The rattles drive me nuts and I've taken this car in for four different rattles thus far.

·
Registered
935 Posts
The problem is you need to get calibrated. It's fair to say that if all your family has been driving are Lexuses then you are somewhat automotively spoiled. Here's what I suggest: Go drive a Chevy or a Dodge for a couple of weeks. That should get ya re-calibrated!

Reactions: Crester

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
So, some of you know my back story and that I have owned two IS350's. My first was returned as a Lemon, pursuant to NJ's Lemon Law and I am on my second right now a 2008 with about 16,000 miles on it.

I come from a family of Lexus owners with no less than 7 Lexus' in the family, either past or present. Right now, we have a 2008 IS350 (me), 2008 ES350 (Dad), 2006 GX (Sister), 2005 RX (other sister).

I am and have been a HUGE fan of Lexus/Toyota vehicles but am a bit disillusioned by them of late and wanted to share my thoughts. Aside from the fact that my customer service experience has been abysmal with Lexus since I got IS #1, I don't think the overall quality of my IS is what I expected.

I mean this beyond the Lemon I got rid of and even with my current car. It seems I've always got a shake, rattle or roll to worry about and the fit and finish of this car is slightly below what I was expecting.

Are my expectations to high? Maybe. Lexus might be a victim of it's own success (in terms of what Lexus buyers expect from their cars), but my family has bought Lexus since 1991 and I am 100% convinced the quality of their cars has dropped off over the last 10 years.

Maybe, some will think I'm crazy and I might be, but this current round of recalls and the handling of the recall is making me a bit concerned. When the time comes, will I buy Lexus again? I don't know.

I don't see myself jumping to BMW or Mercedes, but my gut tells me that Toyota might not be making the "best" cars anymore. What say you?
Cars get rattles after they've been in accidents...
http://my.is/forums/f122/gtars-body-shop-request-please-401788/

Also, the roads in/around NYC aren't exactly the most vehicle friendly.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The problem is you need to get calibrated. It's fair to say that if all your family has been driving are Lexuses then you are somewhat automotively spoiled. Here's what I suggest: Go drive a Chevy or a Dodge for a couple of weeks. That should get ya re-calibrated!
I was in Detroit a couple of years ago and rented a Chevy Malibu, it was easily the worst hunk of turd I've ever driven. Yes, it made me love my Lex even more, but if I wanted rattles, I would've bought a Malibu and saved 30k.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cars get rattles after they've been in accidents...
http://my.is/forums/f122/gtars-body-shop-request-please-401788/

Also, the roads in/around NYC aren't exactly the most vehicle friendly.
All of my rattles pre-dated my accident and I don't drive in NYC. While I lived in the NYC area, I used public transit to and from work, but now I live in Toronto where the roads are far from perfect, but better than the roads in NYC.

I only put 5000 miles on my car while living in the New York area.

·
Registered
556 Posts
My car was in an accident and i'm 100% rattle free. Not a single one.
Maybe the techs at the bodyshop applied some extra padding to make it rattle free...

My IS350 did not have rattles... but then I only owned it for a year. Despite Razal's poor experience with his IS350, mine has been wonderful in every category. The richness and fit and finish of the interior (and exterior) was phenomenal. Only if we don't get the damn hails here I would have kept my IS350. The place where I live in is cursed.

IMHO, Toyota should not be compared to the Lexus just because they are same family. Toyota cars, most of them, are cheap. Lots of cheap materials are used to build them. Lexus on the other hand is not, and are built mostly in Japan with Lexus-Level Quality Control and building process. Of course, back in 1990 the Lexus LS400 was built like top notch. Today's Lexus isn't as good as back then, but still miles better than the other manufacturers including Toyota.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe the techs at the bodyshop applied some extra padding to make it rattle free...

My IS350 did not have rattles... but then I only owned it for a year. Despite Razal's poor experience with his IS350, mine has been wonderful in every category. The richness and fit and finish of the interior (and exterior) was phenomenal. Only if we don't get the damn hails here I would have kept my IS350. The place where I live in is cursed.

IMHO, Toyota should not be compared to the Lexus just because they are same family. Toyota cars, most of them, are cheap. Lots of cheap materials are used to build them. Lexus on the other hand is not, and are built mostly in Japan with Lexus-Level Quality Control and building process. Of course, back in 1990 the Lexus LS400 was built like top notch. Today's Lexus isn't as good as back then, but still miles better than the other manufacturers including Toyota.
Don't they use a lot of interchangeable parts?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Well things like IS350's dashboard, is unlike any Toyota dashes I have seen, is obviously different part. It's soft and plush using rich materials. Toyota is using cheap plastics, and lots of it lately. Things like center console between the driver and passenger seat, it is soft to the touch, you can feel cushion, in the IS350. Toyota (and many other manufacturers) uses hard plastic. Things like the quality of the leather seats too, IS350 is much nicer, soft like baby skin. Now things like materials used on windows and other mechanisms are partially made by Toyota I'm guessing. So not only Lexus has higher standards of building process but also use more expensive parts. It's not the greatest but to me it is miles better than every other cars I have driven (Infiniti G35, Acura TL, Mazda 3, etc). Expensive parts = Premium Parts = Good

Lexus is a different animal, ha ha.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Less than you might think, but certainly some.

Toyota doesn't make any RWD cars at all for example.

Interior-parts-you-touch tend to be different too (cept maybe the 08+ coinholder :p)

The gas-pedal recall is a good example- it only impacted toyota cars (built in the US, using US sourced parts)... Lexus cars are still 100% built in Japan (one SUV, the RX, is built in Canada).

Lexus has its own factories, and they operate to a significantly higher quality standard than toyota factories.

Maybe the best example of a difference though is the Lexus ES. Go sit in one, touch the interior bits. Get a good look. It's a really nice entry-level luxury interior.

Now go test drive a camry (the one platform Lexus shares with toyota cars, being the only FWD lexus car).

apart from maybe the electronics It feels like it's mostly the same interior a camry had in 1995... at least that was my experience when I was in one for a test drive (an 08 model).

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Having had an '06 IS350 and now an '08 RX400h, I found the interior quality good, if not stellar. You can find better finish in top-of-the-line German cars, but have to pay 6 figures. At equal price, I don't think other brands approach Lexus quality.

The only rattle I had was the sunroof in the IS, and only on hot days. The RX is completely rattle free.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
(cept maybe the 08+ coinholder :p)
Thanks everyone for the nice responses. I really didn't know if or how many parts they shared, just assumed.

Now... for the quote above... I've seen this before and I don't know if it is true or not, but what coinholder???? I have an '08 and I don't have one???? Am I missing something???

I sense another letter to Lexus coming!!! ;)

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Thanks everyone for the nice responses. I really didn't know if or how many parts they shared, just assumed.

Now... for the quote above... I've seen this before and I don't know if it is true or not, but what coinholder???? I have an '08 and I don't have one???? Am I missing something???

I sense another letter to Lexus coming!!! ;)
It's on the left of the dash, like where the power rear sunshade or headlight wiper switches would be... Should be on all 08 models-

http://www.leasetrader.com/photos/actual135703/640x480/2008-Lexus-IS-350-Silver.jpeg

Coinholder there next to the 2 blank slots left of the steering wheel

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
You've got to be on-side kicking me?

I had NO idea (all this time). That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. LOL:blush:
Do you have any idea what it cost to design that exquisite coin holder? And here I've been throwing my spare change in swapped out ashtray to keep it away from snooping eyes :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.