Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Think about it:
BMW has the 325i and Mercedes has the C240, so why not bring the IS200 to the states as a base model. I'm sure it would perform ggod enough and have vastly improved fuel economy. Also, if it started out at $27,000 and topped out at like $31,000, it could steal a lot of sales from BMW and Benz.

------------------
1998 Mercedes Benz SLK230

·
Registered
697 Posts
it would take sale off of the IS300 becasue some people might not be able to afford the IS300's engine and go with IS200's engine instead. Their bodystyle is the same...so it would greatly decrease the sales of IS300. IMO, i don't think its necessary

·
Registered
43 Posts
I say they should drop the gs400 engine in teh car and call it a IS400. I would buy that for 40 grand in a heart beat. Anything that would put up 300 hpp in a civic shaped rice box is damm well gonna be in my driveway. THink about what it would take over, the M3, the cl-s and the benzs. that would be PHATTY.
WG

Id by that for a dollar!!!

------------------
silver acura cl-s

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
If the GS300 engine barely fits in the IS300, what makes you think the GS400 engine will fit? Lexus needs an armrest and 5 speed manual before worrying about different engines.

Originally posted by urirx98:
I say they should drop the gs400 engine in teh car and call it a IS400. I would buy that for 40 grand in a heart beat. Anything that would put up 300 hpp in a civic shaped rice box is damm well gonna be in my driveway. THink about what it would take over, the M3, the cl-s and the benzs. that would be PHATTY.
WG

Id by that for a dollar!!!

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
The IS200 would be a joke in America...it would probably be compared with the Infiniti G20.

The IS200 is hardly quick (I apologize to IS200 owners).

0-62 mph (0-100 km/h):
9.5 sec (6MT)
11.2 sec (4AT)

For reference, the new RAV4 is estimated to do 0-60 in about 10.5 sec with the automatic.

A better choice might be an IS250 (heh), powered by the 2.5L 1JZ-GE (200 hp, 190 lb-ft). This engine could be turbocharged as well since the 1JZ-GTE (276 hp) powers several Toyota models.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
an IS400 cannot challenge M3 because of the weight distribution. You will be looking at something toward 56/44 or worse. If that happen, you will have a fast car for straight line but not in the corners, and that's where M3 shines.
I think JW is right, they should have a IS250. This will bring the weight closer to 50/50, and would have enough power to start getting closer to the M3 (although not quite) territory.

·
Registered
65 Posts
An "IS250" would make sense. the competitor all have base models so why doesn't lexus? if they were worried about the "IS250" stealing sales they could just make less IS300 and make it more exclusive. Don't they have a six speed that can be paired with the 1JZ-GE engine?

·
Registered
78 Posts
IJZ-GE, what car is that from? I think they should jsut stick in the turbo engine from the last generation MR-2. Detuned of course to like 190 hp.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
The U.S. never got the 1JZ-G(T)E. It was first used in the JDM MkIII Supra and the Soarer (SC300) in turbocharged form. I don't recall offhand if other Toyota models are using the turbocharged 1JZ. The 1JZ-GE (non-turbo) is currently in use by the Progres, whose platform is shared with the Altezza.

Too bad Lexus thinks turbos aren't luxurious or refined. A 3S-GTE powered IS would be interesting (I don't mean the Altezza 3S-GE with a turbo upgrade, but the true 3S-GTE).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Originally posted by JW:
The IS200 is hardly quick (I apologize to IS200 owners).
Apology axepted :)

I know that the car isn't a quick car, but it can be modified to be very quick.

Toyota Team Europe has a Supercharger for the car, that increases the hp's quite a lot. Add to the ecuation that the IS200 is lighter and has a better weight ballance than the IS300. Conclusion: it's a nice car that just needs some engine mod's...

------------------
Best of Regards,
Karl Westman
[email protected]
Lexus IS200 TTE
http://se.photos.yahoo.com/is200tte

1 - 10 of 10 Posts