Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealership just gave me a 2004 Lexus RX loaner. All i can say is wow auto windows, Mirrors automatically shift to rear of vehicle whenever parallal parking,audio system sweet, and the smooth Lexus ride.The engine is absolutly amazing shifts like a dream. The vehicle is fast trust me my IS feels like a slow pouch comparing to this SUV :-?... It packs a punch alright.
Anyways i really enjoy it.. Only drawback fuel it sucks...
Well i wont be too disappointed when and if the new IS gets the 330 engine..

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wino_II said:
Kamis300 said:
Try turbocharging that. :wink:
Hehe that would be something... :p

·
11,054 Posts
HAH...I just had an RX330 for a loaner YESTERDAY. My first time driving a "truck"...OK...SUV (LUV?) Very comfy. Lots of bells and whistles.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Kamis300 said:
The vehicle is fast trust me my IS feels like a slow pouch comparing to this SUV :-?...
That's because you're feeling the extra torque coming from the bigger displacement. For the amount of torque it has, the engine puts out relatively small power at the top end. That's a truck engine all right, but I'd rather not have one in an IS.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I love the RX330. Looks great, has all the features of a sport luxury utility vehicle. My only gripe is that it's a bit pricey, when loaded up. Albeit, still a much better value than the BMW X5.
The only problem is, I'm torn between the RX330 and a Toyota 4Runner Ltd (V6). Loaded to the rim, with 7 seats, the 4Runner can be had for about $40K, while the RX gets close to $49K. Sure the RX has features that the 4Runner does not, but nothing that I can't live without. And the 4Runner does have the 2 additional seats this year.
What do you guys think???

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
The hybrid RX is going to be awesome! First "performance" hybrid, I think Toyota is ready to start to redefine the whole way we look at the automobile.

·
Registered
337 Posts
i got a rx 330 as a loaner too, and i felt the same way. the ride is the smoothes ride i ever driven. i wish i had enough money to put down on this ride. i love it . hopefully some day i willget rid of my slow ass is300.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sleepy said:
Kamis300 said:
The vehicle is fast trust me my IS feels like a slow pouch comparing to this SUV :-?...
That's because you're feeling the extra torque coming from the bigger displacement. For the amount of torque it has, the engine puts out relatively small power at the top end. That's a truck engine all right, but I'd rather not have one in an IS.
Ok now i understand.. But regardless for an V6 SUV i'am very impressed.THe price tag does not match IMO though :-?

·
Registered
158 Posts
As an RX owner, I agree with much of what has been said here.

The 2004 RX330 built on a consideralby good SUV (for what most of us use our SUV's for) and made it better in darn near every way. About the only bad thing about the RX330, IMO, is that the engine is slightly rougher than the old 3.0L and that I'm not a fan of the clear tailights on this truck in any color but silver.

As to the poster query above about the relative merits of the RX vs the 4Runner, I respectfully submit that you really ask yourself what you want from an SUV.

If your never going to take your truck in anything more adventurous than a snow covered road, the 4Runner is largely a waste (IMO). Both rigs are quite comfortable (the 4Runner has made huge leaps forward in this realm) but the RX is way, way more biased towards driving like a car as opposed to having some real offroad abilities. I don't personally care for the exterior redesign of the Runner and as shallow as that sounds, it would be enough for me to stick with Lexus. But that's a personal choice.

FWIW, we've had our AWD RX in rain and snow and its performed very well. I wouldn't take it on any serious offroading (but I don't do that anyway) and I spend 99% of my time on road so the RX (with its better on road driving dynamics and superior creature comforts) is the hands down winner for us.

Either way, you're getting a well built, well designed rig that is probably going to be very reliable and hold its value quite well. Tough to go wrong.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Here are the performance numbers to set things straight.

These seem to be the general concensus performance
numbers after checking multiple sources.

RX330
0 to 60 in 7.7 secs (7.8 for AWD)
1/4 mile in 16.2 secs. @ 86 mph
Top speed = 112 mph

IS300 (auto tranny, just to be fair)
0 to 60 in 7.1 secs.
1/4 mile in 15.3 secs @ 92 mph
Top speed = 140 mph

The reasons the RX330 feels faster are because it has more low-end torque (as mentioned above) and because it's suspension is softer than an IS. When a car is less firmly suspended it rocks back harder on initial acceleration, thus giving the driver a greater impression of performance.

Regarding the RX vs. 4Runner, all of what was mentioned above is spot on, but don't forget, one of the other great benefits of body-on-frame is big towing capacity. If you're towing your camper, a boat, or hauling a car to the racetrack you'll appreciate the 4Runner. V6 models have 5000 lb capacity and the V8's have a 7000 lb capacity vs. 2000 lbs. for the RX.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
yea bro, its bad ass... My rents just bought one a month ago... Love the interior... I drove it couple times... NAV is awesome wish I got that on mine... :x

o3 solar IS

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Kamis300 said:
automatically shift to rear of vehicle whenever parallal parking
what's that mean!? they didn't show in the Lexus.com RX330 video.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Kamis300 said:
Wino_II said:
Kamis300 said:
Ummm, I think he meant that Turbocharging the new 330 engine wouldn't be as easy nor as durable as the current 2JZ I-6 motor. He wasn't praising it what-so-evar.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Kev IS300 said:
Kamis300 said:
automatically shift to rear of vehicle whenever parallal parking
what's that mean!? they didn't show in the Lexus.com RX330 video.
Whenever u parallel park the side mirrors automatically direct itself to the rear of the car. Hopefully no more hitting curbs..

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
dela said:
Kamis300 said:
Wino_II said:
Kamis300 said:
Ummm, I think he meant that Turbocharging the new 330 engine wouldn't be as easy nor as durable as the current 2JZ I-6 motor. He wasn't praising it what-so-evar.
Oopps :) my mistake

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
Knowing TRD, they'll bring out a supercharger that new 3.3L V-6 based motor.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts