Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forum and own an '01 IS300. I'm looking to replace my stock 16" six-spoke rims with the more attractive (but still stock) 17" five-spoke rims. The rims I'm looking to purchase on eBay have the graphite finish.

However, I've heard many people report that the graphite finish has chipped/flaked off their rims in spots and that the finish wears easily to expose the silver underneath. I've even heard stories of discoloration and corrosion of these rims, causing me to hesitate in proceeding with my bid.

While the rims are currently in perfect condition, I'm worried that I'll experience corrosion of some kind down the line if I purchase them. My question is whether you think the deterioration of the finish is inevitable, or something I shouldn't worry too much about. If it is inevitable, are you aware of any ways to prevent it/reasons it might have happened to some, such as poor care? Did the problems effect all Lexus IS OEM graphite rims, or just a certain model year?

I'd like to know whether you think I should go ahead with my bid or simply stay away.

Thanks.

IStyle

·
Registered
346 Posts
I've been on this web for a while & I've never heard of graphite rims chipping. I have no
problems w/ my graphite rims on my 02. You shoud ask this same question in the Wheel and tire forum. Good luck.

·
Registered
8,896 Posts
I have a total of 3 rock chips in my graphite polished OEM wheels. (damn construction zones).
I have no discoloration in my wheels.
I think if you take care of your wheels (wash and clean them regularly) you will be ok. People who have experienced discoloration in their wheels were mostly due to the tire shine stuff that they used and they don't wipe off the excess that ran onto the wheels.

Irv is correct though.. the graphites do scratch easily, so use soft microfiber towels and lots of water and soap when cleaning.

I think the graphites look much better than the regular silver wheels.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay well if I'm going to bid I have to do it within the next couple of hours...

So should I go for it or stay away from graphite and get the regular silver finish?

·
Registered
341 Posts
05 on graphite

i hate to admit i got the graphite ones in stock oem on my 05 is300. and, they get easily scratch. so i clean the rims with care everytime. though, the finish is good lookin ala hyper silver rims.

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
I have the graphite wheels as well, and I didn't notice it when I was buying it, but when I got home, two rims have black streaks on the sides of the spokes. The face still looks like new.

Most people don't notice, but I do. Like it was mentioned before, either tire shine or acid-based wheel cleaner has etched the finish.

I do have two rocks chips on one of the rear wheels, but I have had them for 5 months and there are no new chips, scratches, or stains.

If you like them, (I still think they are one of the best looking OEM wheels) get them, just inspect them closely especially the side of the spokes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts