Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
by not offering the 350 with a 5 or 6 spd manual. Some of us live to shift and that means we're not going to buy the car... who makes a sports car these days without offering a manual... screw the 250...

·
Registered
554 Posts
Im sure they will come out with it next year, they did the exact same thing with the IS300.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
But with the IS300, they announced during the first year that a manual was going to come out a year later.

This time, they are announcing that they have no plans to make one. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
7,619 Posts
even better...that makes our cars the only Lexus IS manual tranny, inline 6...with the coveted tail lights...:lol:

...the few, the chosen, the proud - - the 1st generation IS :p

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Unfotunately we're in the minority. Although we all love our manual IS300s, we're all enthusiasts, and just a small percentage of car buyers. Jane and Joe Smith don't buy manuals, they can't understand why anyone would want to do all that shifting, and complicate driving the car.

I'd love to see a manual IS, but I don't think Toyota has a tranmission they could throw into the 350 right now (keep in mind that the Supra v series tranny wasn't toyota built ... pretty sure it was getrag). I think either they're keeping quiet about the manual and maybe they'll bring one out when they release the new Supra, otherwise they genuinely don't have plans to release one.

I've heard that only 5 or 10% of the current IS's are manuals, and by looking at this forum (full of enthusiasts) you'll see that way more than 5 or 10% of us have manuals. If Toyota doesn't release a manual for the new IS350, it's probably because it didn't make much financial sense, and probably wouldn't boost sales a whole lot.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Auto Critics often write to say how great a car would be with all the sport-tuned features, manual tranmission, flexible motor, etc. I really don't think these features appeal to the average person, they just want something that says "Lexus" and probably compares to a 3-series in terms of Luxury.

I like to think that our cars are more sport than luxury, while the new IS is the opposite. 4-wheel independent wishbone suspension, inline six engine, available manual, RWD w/LSD, good F/R balance, exceptional handling etc. I think that the new IS sacrifices some of the sport-bred engineering for more luxury at a similar (or slighly higher) price point.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Bleh. You can argue all day about "average Joe" and how it makes no sense to cater to niche market. This what separates German car makers.

M3 is not for "average Joe", and neither is the S4. But look how far these cars has taken the brand image. Even the powerless 325 (E46) and 1.8T is well respected in the market place. Can't say the same thing about IS300 which has even more power than a 325 or 1.8T.

What still remains to be unveiled is the coupe/convertible body style. Maybe a manual for 350 will come then and Lexus is intentionally keeping it a secret. Who knows.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Toyota does have a tranny that they could put in it. The 6sp in the toyota x-runner, but lets face it...there is NO market for a manual Lexus. People don't buy Lexus to race. Every single person on this site can complain to Lexus about a manual in the 350, but how many would actually go out an buy it. The ratio for autos to manual IS300's was like 10:2. That is just not good business.
I see them testing and see how many manual IS250s they sell and at that point they will make a decision on a manual in the 350. Lexus isn't stupid as we all know, they are one of the largest and greatest car makers in the world.
BMW has manual's, so what, from day one BMW has been the performance automaker in Germany. When has Lexus ever been known for anything but reliability and luxury. Face it, A MANUAL CAR WILL NEVER BE CONSIDERED LUXURY!!!!!

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
2 JZ-GE said:
even better...that makes our cars the only Lexus IS manual tranny, inline 6...with the coveted tail lights...:lol:

...the few, the chosen, the proud - - the 1st generation IS :p
I saw a first Gen SC300 manual with some aftermarker Altezza-like tails.

Does that count?

·
Premium Member
7,619 Posts
CRB said:
I saw a first Gen SC300 manual with some aftermarker Altezza-like tails.

Does that count?
Really? Then I stand corrected. Didn't know SC300 came manual in the States. uuhhmm..

Thanks for the update... :)

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Yea I see a manual SC every once in a while on AutoTrader, they are pretty rare.

Although personally, I prefer a manual and am disappointed that the IS350 isn't available in stick, I just dont see the demand for it.

Most of the people on this site are auto and we're a community of enthusiasts, better than the advertised 9:1, but still heavily auto biased.

Unforunately I think the trend is going to continue, especially as stick-o-matics get better and better with time. People will think there's no need for a manual as long as their autos have a manual mode.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Why can BMW offer a manual on
M3
540 (of old)

and lexus cant?

There lazy they could offer it is one of the many mistakes they have made on the new IS. Why do you people think they are so infallible. If the is350 gets LABELED a lux cruiser trust me it will hurt there sales more the the 5 or 10% of manual sales they loose.

Like honda fubar'd the last SI. mistakes happen.

I dont understand why the 250 tranny wont work in the 350 dont they share auto trannies?

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Because BMW is a sporting company who built their reputation in automotive sports. Lexus is a LUXURY company.

And apparently the manual in the IS250 cannot handle the power of the 3.5L V6 reliably.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I would buy a manual IS350 if they offered one.

After driving my manual 300 for the last 3 years, I came to the conclusion that I would probably never buy an automatic car again (until I get over the hill ... maybe).

And I would almost consider getting the e-shift IS350, but I've already heard bad reviews about its delays in shifting.

Its funny, a few months ago I was all ready to part out my car and trade it in for a 350. But the more detail I hear about it, the more I get turned off by it. I guess I'll just have to wait until there's an AMG/M/L-tuned version.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
IS_JOE... why don't you just take a trip to the dealer and check out the car yourself? I was doubting the IS250 RWD when I started hearing rumours about it... but now that I actually drove it... I'm confident that it is a great car. Atleast now I know the 2.5L engine isn't a slouch.

·
Registered
482 Posts
it is odd they dont offer a manual tranny on the IS350 and I feel they will offer it in the 2007 or 2008 350.

I have no desire to shift my own gears but I understand how this bugs many and no doubt Lexus will lose some sales because of this.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think what's gonna happen is the car will come with a manual setup but it will be a built to order only car. I don't think that the dealers will even carry manuals on the lot. Last time i was talking to a BMW dealership that's how the new 5 series was gonna be. I guess we'll see wha happens.

·
Registered
9,676 Posts
zerotype said:
by not offering the 350 with a 5 or 6 spd manual. Some of us live to shift and that means we're not going to buy the car... who makes a sports car these days without offering a manual... screw the 250...

Your the screwup..... Hmmm how about the Mercedes-Benz AMG line :rolleyes: Lexus dont need you as a customer, they got lots of money.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts