Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
8,880 Posts
Blayne said:
Way more than it's worth. Install a Mac Mini.
Theare are easier options to get Nav than the complicated Mac Mini install.

A few Double-DIN Nav headunits available out there look really great in IS.

·
Registered
28 Posts
What do you think is complicated about the Mac Mini install? The industry provides everything you need to make it plug and play.

Nav head units are too expensive and super slow. Not to mention, with the Mac Mini, you have the full functionality of a computer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hit up Ebay and you can do it for a grand.

Xenarc 700TSV $300
Mac Mini $400
P1900 - $100
Dash Kit - $70
All that crap you forget about - $130.

·
8,880 Posts
Blayne said:
If you can install an amp and headunit, you can do the Mac Mini install.
I guess they come in Double-DIN units, then... including LCD touchscreen and all. :rolleyes:

Blane, do you speak from experience or you're just guessing? It sounds like the latter.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was a custom installer for 5 years, then moved on to greater things. (and not that it really means much, but I'm MECP certified) I currently have the Mac Mini setup and I am fabbing an actuated enclosure to sink the LCD into the factory GPS location.

How are people going to excel in Car electronics if you tell them something as simple as running one power wire, installing a head unit, and one little box is difficult?

It's easy, and I'll help you with any questions you have, west.

·
8,880 Posts
I don't see how fabricating a custom enclosure for an LCD is an easy task. Maybe for MECP certified people it's not.

I have nothing against Car PC units. In fact, I think they are great. However, most people do not share this opinion because of the complexitiy involved.

·
Registered
28 Posts
*I'm* fabricating a custom enclosure because I don't want to put the LCD in a JDM kit. I'm not suggesting west do that.

K, not feeling like a pissing match. I suggest anyone set out with ambitious goals and we should all do whatever we can to help. That's what this community is for. L8r.

·
8,880 Posts
Blayne said:
*I'm* fabricating a custom enclosure because I don't want to put the LCD in a JDM kit. I'm not suggesting west do that.

K, not feeling like a pissing match. I suggest anyone set out with ambitious goals and we should all do whatever we can to help. That's what this community is for. L8r.
Just for clarification, putting 7" VGA screen into the JDM Dash kit is far from a direct fit installation (I pioneered this process). There's still a ton of custom work involved.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts