Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tuesday April 17, 11:57 am Eastern Time

Press Release

SOURCE: Lexus

Lexus Makes Official Racing Debut With IS 300 at
Phoenix Grand-Am Cup Race

TORRANCE, Calif., April 17 /PRNewswire/ -- Lexus will make its first official foray
into racing competition when it debuts the new IS 300 compact sports sedan at the
Grand-Am Cup event at Phoenix International Raceway, April 18-21.

Lexus will field two IS 300s with veteran road-racing driver/owner
Chuck Goldsborough in the Grand-Am Cup series' Sport Touring
class against production competitors like BMW, Mercedes-Benz and
Acura, among others. Goldsborough's Team Lexus has run GS 400s
independently the last two years in the series formerly know as the
Motorola Cup North American Street Stock Championship, which is
now operated by the Grand American Road Racing Association.
Lexus will provide assistance to Goldsborough's team, while Toyota
Racing Development (TRD), U.S.A. will lend technical engine
support. The IS 300s will be piloted by Goldsborough, Terry
Borcheller and two drivers to be announced later. The team will
expand to four IS 300s later in the season.

``The Grand-Am Cup street-stock touring series is a perfect place to
showcase the IS 300's passion and performance,'' said Mike Wells, vice president of marketing at Lexus. ``The fans of
Grand-Am racing are the same youthful, educated people that are drawn to Lexus, particularly the IS 300.''

For the Grand-Am Cup series, the virtually stock Lexus IS 300 is powered by a production-based 3.0-liter, inline
six-cylinder engine; TRD will provide a new engine-management system. The high-revving engine will share the strong
low-end and mid-range torque features of its production counterpart, while the compact sport sedan's great balance and
steering response will thrive in the race environment.

Goldsborough's Team Lexus earned two victories, six podium finishes and received the A.N. Deringer award for most
positions gained while racing GS 400s in 1999 and 2000. Goldsborough and Borcheller, racing a GS 400, finished
second in the Sports Touring (ST) class at the 2001 season opener at Daytona and eighth in the follow-up race at
Homestead. Borcheller is currently fifth and Goldsborough sixth in points in the ST class while Lexus is third in
manufacturer points. Goldsborough, of Baltimore, Md., has raced competitively for 18 years and has served as an
instructor at the Skip Barber and Bertil Roos Racing Schools.

``We were impressed with Chuck Goldsborough's team and felt Team Lexus was a good partner to debut our new
compact sports sedan to the racing world,'' Wells commented.

An IS 300 also is the latest edition to a prestigious group of Lexus vehicles to become members of the CART Pace Car
team, following the GS 400 and SC 400. The IS 300 pace car made its debut at the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach,
April 6-8.

SOURCE: Lexus

·
Registered
250 Posts
Didn't see the cup race in the broadcast schedule. Speedvision usually runs that stuff a few weeks after the race.

I plan on attending Friday for the cup race - if I get any decent photos I will post. Anybody else from here going???

Terry

[ April 18, 2001: Message edited by: TSoich ]

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by TSoich:
Didn't see the cup race in the broadcast schedule. Speedvision usually runs that stuff a few weeks after the race.

I plan on attending Friday for the cup race - if I get any decent photos I will post. Anybody else from here going???

Terry

[ April 18, 2001: Message edited by: TSoich ]

TSoich,

You are correct. I goofed... Sorry!

Simple Lad

[ April 18, 2001: Message edited by: Simple Lad ]

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
i wonder if we can get some detailed pics of these cars, inside and out??? I wanna see the whole setup

·
Registered
250 Posts
DevilDog66 :
Sounds awesome! But why does the entry list say GS400 for both cars?
Hmmm. For the first race of the year, they entered the IS but showed up with last years GS cars. I don't recall what they entered at Homestead, but they rans the GSs. It is a pretty neat series so I plan on attending the race anyway, but it will certainly be better if they show up with the IS.

s0yb0mb:
i wonder if we can get some detailed pics of these cars, inside and out??? I wanna see the whole setup
Some of the pictures that Mo has posted have what appear to be Motorola Cup (now Grand Am Cup) IS300s in the background. He has been quite tight lipped about them - some contractual stuff I suspect.

Terry

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
The IS300s will be racing for the first time in Phoenix, AR this weekend. There will be two of them both painted racing Orange. They will be outfitted with the 2JZGE engines (no VVTi) and the Supra turbo getrag 6-speed manual tranny and rear end, engine management done by TRD using Pectel, and intake systems designed by SRT using all aluminum mandrel bent tubing and our AFE air filters.

If anyone attends please make sure to get some good digital pictures, and I will also have some after the races.

For more information you can visit this site Team Lexus

Originally posted by TSoich:
Some of the pictures that Mo has posted have what appear to be Motorola Cup (now Grand Am Cup) IS300s in the background. He has been quite tight lipped about them - some contractual stuff I suspect.

Terry

·
Registered
301 Posts
Just a reminder, this race will be broadcasted LIVE on speedvision.

Saturday, April 20, 2001 at 7:00PM (Pacific Time).

LINK

The Sun Automotive 200 will be start at 7p.m. (PDT) on Saturday and will be series first night race since it kicked off the season at the Rolex 24 At Daytona. The Sun Automotive 200 will be broadcast live on Speedvision.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Originally posted by Simple Lad:
[QB]Tuesday April 17, 11:57 am Eastern Time

The IS 300s will be piloted by Goldsborough, Terry
Borcheller and two drivers to be announced later. The team will
expand to four IS 300s later in the season.

hell, i'll be the third

1 - 15 of 15 Posts