Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the article By MARK RECHTIN | Automotive News:

Toyota Motor Corp. has unveiled its next generation traction control system, which will be deployed first in the redesigned Lexus GS 430 sedan arriving in North America in February 2005. The system, called Vehicle Dynamics Management, or VDM, employs what Toyota calls "active steering" to keep drivers from having to countersteer to correct a potential spin when the wheels lose their grip on slippery surfaces.

Previous Toyota stability control systems used the antilock braking and engine management systems to send power to wheels that still had traction. Some Lexus vehicles were equipped with active suspension systems that also were involved in the traction control system.

But while VDM still uses that basic technology, it also employs steer-by-wire software that automatically sends steering inputs to the wheels to keep the vehicle on track.

With VDM, the steer-by-wire system modifies the steering boost control. Instead of waiting for the vehicle to yaw, it starts modulating the steering as soon as a loss of traction is detected. In other words, it corrects for the skid before the driver would even notice the loss of traction, making countersteering unnecessary.

While such a system may seem counterintuitive to skilled drivers, Toyota research shows that nearly 40 percent of drivers involved in accidents took no action to avoid the accident.

"In many cases, the driver panics," said Takeshi Uchiyamada, Toyota senior managing director. "Accidents happen maybe one or two times in a lifetime, so we give supplemental help to the driver."

·
8,827 Posts
They started with drive by the wire,
Here goes "Steer by the wire".
What's next?
Brake by the wire? Right, they added the semi-annoying Brake assist.
Clutch by the wire?

·
11,054 Posts
Won't be long now....the cars will be driving themselves and we'll be buying the "option" to self-steer. :eek:

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I wonder if the steer-by-wire is going to be delayed like the drive-by-wire. wouldn't that be something.

Oh and that clutch by wire idea.... we have that stupid CDD... not quite clutch by wire, but still serves its purpose to delay the clutch and annoy the driver... :roll:

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
I sure hope they wire in an optional KILL switch in the dash for this! I'm still trying to figure out how to kill the brake assist on our cars :roll:

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
No fun!!!! There better be a way to disable that feature. What is the world coming to, I need to be able to counter steer myself.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
:) Well, Toyota is following what BMW does to its new 5 series "Active Steering"

We tested drive a 530i a couple weeks ago, without the sales-person sitting next to us. We were able to "drift" and recove the car very easy.

It's not a bad idea...but act a list of "possible" failure item....

·
11,054 Posts
Cruxader said:
active braking is okay, but i think active steering is going too far.

i do, however, wish the ISes came with adaptive laser cruise control :). that stuff is neat.
Of course, if you are drinking coffee, talking on the phone, shaving, adjusting the stereo and trying to shift at the same time, you might need a little help... :crazy:

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
i think it's a good move for toyota

being that most gs430/gs300/is300's get sold to people who don't care much for performance....mostly for LUXURY

i wouldn't want it on my car---rather have a sporty car

but toyota is looking towards the majority of the market-good move on their part...as long as it works.

·
Registered
543 Posts
If I understand this correctly, I see some challenges with this system. If the driver tries to countersteer in an oversteer condition, the computer may think that is the new direction the driver wants to go.

The computer takes input from the steering wheel sensor to determine desired path. It measures yaw and speed to ensure vehicle is going in the intended direction. If not, it intervines and turns the wheel to offset a oversteer/understeer condition. However, in the midst of the oversteer/Understeer condition, any steering inputs (such as countersteer) would make the computer think a new desired direction has been chosen and responds accordingly. The only way to offset this is that drivers will need to break the habit of countersteering and keep the steering wheel pointed at the direction they want the car to go, not the direction you want the wheels to turn.

·
Registered
476 Posts
SilverF16 said:
If I understand this correctly, I see some challenges with this system. If the driver tries to countersteer in an oversteer condition, the computer may think that is the new direction the driver wants to go.

The computer takes input from the steering wheel sensor to determine desired path. It measures yaw and speed to ensure vehicle is going in the intended direction. If not, it intervines and turns the wheel to offset a oversteer/understeer condition. However, in the midst of the oversteer/Understeer condition, any steering inputs (such as countersteer) would make the computer think a new desired direction has been chosen and responds accordingly. The only way to offset this is that drivers will need to break the habit of countersteering and keep the steering wheel pointed at the direction they want the car to go, not the direction you want the wheels to turn.
I'm sure the engineers have thought of this. You don't just slap a "safety" feature in a new car without it going through months upon months of insanely in-depth reviews.

I really don't think we need to worry about this bieng added to the IS...it sounds like something that the LS buyers (rich old people) would like to have. You definately won't see this in any cars that are remotely sporty. The car magazines would hang them for it!

·
Registered
470 Posts
vlad_a said:
They started with drive by the wire,
Here goes "Steer by the wire".
What's next?
Brake by the wire? Right, they added the semi-annoying Brake assist.
Clutch by the wire?
The new E55 have brake by wire... weird feeling.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.