Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys I am new here and I been trying to find out this all week but cannot get a definite answer so I figure I would ask. I have a uncut Lexus remote key. Can I program the remote and just use that for now or do I have to get it cut first.

I have the old key blade from my old key but no backing or transponder. I have another key it does not look grey but it does not open my trunk or glove compartment. So I figure that is the valet key.

Can I use the Valet key to program my master if I get them to make a copy from my broken key. For now I just want to be able to use the remote itself.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So if I have the old blade to my old remote key. Could I then get them to cut my new key matching that then go through the steps to program it that are posted here. Or do I need to get it programmed and everything just to use it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So if I have the old blade to my old remote key. Could I then get them to cut my new key matching that then go through the steps to program it that are posted here. Or do I need to get it programmed and everything just to use it.
The remote or FAB requires it to be programmed along with any spare FAB. On the 2007 (i have) and up the FAB is a smart key that works with the push start. in these keys the metal key part is used to open the door, trunk, or the glove box like a valet key would. it is also used as a backup if the battery dies on the remote. The cutting of this (metal) key can be done independently from programming the FAB. A locksmith can cut it without the master based on VIN # info. (I had my key stolen from a valet parking at a hotel, they reprogrammed the key for me and cut a new key in about 3 hours. I had to return to the lexus dealer the next day with my extra key and have both programmed at the same time.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Hello guys I am new here and I been trying to find out this all week but cannot get a definite answer so I figure I would ask. I have a uncut Lexus remote key. Can I program the remote and just use that for now or do I have to get it cut first.

I have the old key blade from my old key but no backing or transponder. I have another key it does not look grey but it does not open my trunk or glove compartment. So I figure that is the valet key.

Can I use the Valet key to program my master if I get them to make a copy from my broken key. For now I just want to be able to use the remote itself.
in short the answer is yes if you still have that chip in the first key which it sounds like you do otherwise you couldnt start the car your set. there should be a diy on programming the key.
i programmed the unlock lock and trunk pop without having the key cut.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the original master key blade and the original valet key. I am using the valet key now and I have a new uncut remote key and another uncut key I need cut and programmed. So I basically trying to figure what are my option. On the original all I have is the blade itself nothing else.

·
Registered
180 Posts
http://my.is/forums/f87/new-key-immobilizer-programming-220226/

If you do not have a master key that contains the remote with transponder, you will need an ecu reflash to program. If you do have the remote you can order an uncut remote key from any Lexus dealership or on eBay and program it yourself after getting it cut.

http://my.is/forums/f87/how-program-new-key-208178/

Also note that the programming steps are different for the '01 model years and the '02+ model years.

The remote can be programmed without it being cut, but you must have remote key that is already programmed for the car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So how much does this reflash ecu usually run. Also I read somewhere that I can send my key off somewhere and give them my vin to make a new master key. Is that true or do I need to get the ecu reflashed and thats it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Not sure if the scenario you mention with the VIN is possible with our cars. Anyone know for sure?

What year is your IS? Recently I lost my only key, which was a master, and was making arrangements to have my ECU reflashed on my '05 before I was able to locate the lost key. It sounded like the reflash was going to be around $400.

Based on this link (http://my.is/forums/f87/new-key-immo...amming-220226/), if you have an '01, it looks like a reflash isn't an option, which could mean $$$. The only way you'll know price for sure is to call a local Lexus dealer. You might be able to buy from them another valet key, which could be a cheaper option, but you won't have the remote functions.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't believe you can send out to have a key programmed, unless you send out your ecu. If you have the master key with the transponder chip still attached you can program it yourself. Otherwise you need to have a locksmith cut you a new key and reflash your ecu. I recently had this done. I only had a valet key. The locksmith came to me, cut me 2 new master keys and reflashed my ecu. He also reprogrammed my original valet key to the new reflash. It was a total of $275 for 2 everything but they were the regular master keys without the remotes. The remotes would have been $100 extra.

Heres a link of a place that you can send out your key and ecu for reflash:
Lost Toyota and Lexus Keys - Reflashing Service

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So can you reflash a 01 some are saying you can and some are you cant. There is a guy here in my town claiming he can make keys for any lexus including the 00 and 01. So I dont know whats what any more. lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't believe you can send out to have a key programmed, unless you send out your ecu. If you have the master key with the transponder chip still attached you can program it yourself. Otherwise you need to have a locksmith cut you a new key and reflash your ecu. I recently had this done. I only had a valet key. The locksmith came to me, cut me 2 new master keys and reflashed my ecu. He also reprogrammed my original valet key to the new reflash. It was a total of $275 for 2 everything but they were the regular master keys without the remotes. The remotes would have been $100 extra.

Heres a link of a place that you can send out your key and ecu for reflash:
Lost Toyota and Lexus Keys - Reflashing Service

Alright I just spoke with those guys and they say they can reflash a 2001 IS. So if that is the case why are so many people including the dealer saying you cannot.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.