Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the valet key have a transponder chip inside it?

I am asking b/c if i removed my transponder from my current master key, could it be used as a valet? will it work at all, even to open doors?

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Yes... all keys have a "electronic id" on them... but this is different from the "remote" on the key.

I never tried starting the car without the remote portion in it. Try it out and see.

·
Registered
173 Posts
no, if you remove the transponder from your master key, it won't work. it will open the doors/trunk but i don't believe it will start the car. if the car does start, i wouldn't try to drive very far because the car will likely shut itself off.

i say this because if you have the 'wallet key' you'll know that the blade is just a blade, there's even a small transponder for the wallet key that needs to be near the ignition switch for it to start.

Reactions: Johnnysks

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Ok..you guys got me curious so I pulled out the owners manual (page 8)

Master Key (the black ones)
I pretty sure I do not need to describe this one!

Sub Key (or Q key as this thread describes it)
This key is also referred to as the valet key. It will not work on the trunk or the glove box, nor does it have alarm arming or disarming capabilities
A transponder chip is in this key. When leaving your car with a "valet" and you have things locked in your trunk or glove box, give them this key. It will start the car safely, and can be used to drive it. It does not prevent the valet guy from driving away with your car (make sure he has a red jacket and a name tag first).

Wallet key
Obviously, this key as described, is only used for lock out situations and does not contain any transponder.

Warnings: do not use a second key in close proximity to your ignition. Do not use your key with another transponder close to your ignition (on the same ring). Do not insert another friends Lexus key into your ignition.
Engine may fail to start, or stop soon after it starts.

I would go on but there is actually 8 pages of warnings and legal speak about keys in your owners manual!

Case closed.

Digger08

·
Registered
173 Posts
Wallet key
Obviously, this key as described, is only used for lock out situations and does not contain any transponder.
this is just semantics but in my 2004 manual, the wallet key DOES start the car. it does NOT contain a transponder but the plastic holder it comes in DOES have a transponder, so there is a whole sequence you have to follow to drive your car with the wallet key

not trying to be an a$$ just want to straighten out my info. it could be different for other model years.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Wallet keys never start a transponder ignition.
The wallet keys that will start the car have the casing with a programmed transponder built into the card. So you have to turn the wallet key while holding the card case against the ignition. Very few people have them as the cars come with a plain access only wallet.

Transponders are not the same as the wireless alarm/door locks. They use different frequencies and the alarm is powered by the battery to send a frequency . The ignition system lockout uses a antenna ring to send a signal to agitate or activate ( powering the key as a valet has no battery inside) the key to produce a signal that is corresponding to the system which allows it to start the engine.

If you use a non registered key which is a max of 4 codes stored it will engage the starter (if the key is cut to the tumbler) but as soon as you let go of the key the engine cuts out. Also the alarm led never stops flashing.

What to verify what i am saying .
Next time you get in your car , look at the alarm light still flashing before insertion. When you stick it in the light will stop blinking before you even turn the key.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I am only responding from a 2001 ownership perspective.

My wallet key will not start my vehicle. And there is no instructions to do so.

Your 2004 may be different.

Digger08

1 - 8 of 8 Posts