Lexus IS Forum banner

is200 manual vs is300 auto?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have a dilemma and I hope lexus "is" community will help me to make a best decition.
What would be easier, cheaper and better to do: buy 1999-2005 lexus is200 manual and swap it to 1jzgte in the future (keep J160 on it) or buy 2001-2005 lexus is300 auto and swap it to w55/58 (r154, v160 etc super expensive) and boost it with turbo kit?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Really?! I was told its the same even better than w55
I'm pretty sure, at best, it may be as good as the w55 but neither transmission is really suited for 300 plus whp. If I wanted to focus on power, I'd get an is300, if I wanted to track it maybe the is200 because of the weight savings. Either option is going to be $$$ for power so definitely consider all the different aspects between the two.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm pretty sure, at best, it may be as good as the w55 but neither transmission is really suited for 300 plus whp. If I wanted to focus on power, I'd get an is300, if I wanted to track it maybe the is200 because of the weight savings. Either option is going to be $$$ for power so definitely consider all the different aspects between the two.
I need a car for daily drive, drift here and there, accelerate in traffic to pass a car without any hesitation and be fun in general. I guess for these purposes 300-350 hp would be more than enough.

·
Registered
178 Posts
You could get an is300 and then swap out the transmission and motor for a w58 and 1uz. 1uz's with vvti make close to 300hp I believe, and they are lighter and closer to the firewall than the 2jz. I've been considering that for some time...

·
Registered
2005 Lexus IS300
113 Posts
is200 then 1uz swap or is300 and ge-t. wither way stock they are both crap and in the countries with both never got the is300 with a manual so its hard to say. I never even seen a is200 so cant attest to how they drive so id choose the is300 just for pure power and tq but id be mad if I couldnt get a manual.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I need a car for daily drive, drift here and there, accelerate in traffic to pass a car without any hesitation and be fun in general. I guess for these purposes 300-350 hp would be more than enough.
So either a stock IS (it's not like an NA 2jz can't drift, also could consider an frs) or a factory turbo car it is. Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
is200 then 1uz swap or is300 and ge-t. wither way stock they are both crap and in the countries with both never got the is300 with a manual so its hard to say. I never even seen a is200 so cant attest to how they drive so id choose the is300 just for pure power and tq but id be mad if I couldnt get a manual.
In my country its almost impossible to find factory manual is300, only option swap to w55 or w58. we have a lot factory manual J160 is200 1gfe 155 hp =/

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Are you competitive? Do you do drift events? Or are you drifting in your mind and every now and then, a parking lot? Be honest. If the latter AT will do. If you are competitive about it then maybe go through all the headache and $$$ of converting a car.

·
Registered
178 Posts
You just need to value what you want most right out of the box. Say for instance, you can't get around to manual swapping or engine swapping whichever car you get for a couple of years, would you rather suffer those years with a slow manual, or a slightly quicker auto? Just get an is300 and be done with it, you'll likely have to swap the transmission in either car but if you can save having to swap an engine with the is300, that might be your best bet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts