Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had this installed, and what did it cost you? The unit is around $250 but I have been quoted from $600 to $725 installed at the dealers around Dallas. If I have it installed somewhere else does that affect my warranty?

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Are you talking about the VAIS unit???

It's plug and play... you can do the install yourself. Also I doubt it would do anything to warranty because it doesn't mess up the factory harness. So if anything you could just remove it before doing warranty work on the stereo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, there is now an official Lexus iPod integration kit (see Sewell Lexus Parts website, part no. PT545-00082). I have read about the VAIS unit. How does it compare tot he Lexus unit? I am not technically inclined so I would have to get it whatever unit I go with professionally installed. Any ideas on what installation would run me?

·
Registered
32 Posts
if your car has factory nav(not ML), then try getting SL2Vi from Vais...

SL2Vi is for iPod integration for mp3 and DVD simulation feature

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey TSoprano, that's an awesome document, I just e-mailed my service rep about having that done to my car ASAP (I've only had it for 9-10 days). I'll take pics once it's done and post 'em.

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
Hey TSoprano, that's an awesome document, I just e-mailed my service rep about having that done to my car ASAP (I've only had it for 9-10 days). I'll take pics once it's done and post 'em.
NICE....my parts guy told me we've had them but have not been advertising them till this month now, and they are priced quite moderately too..:p

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is a great document! My dealer wanted $595 for the kit and installation. Now I have some leverage to negotiate it down to $300.

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
That is a great document! My dealer wanted $595 for the kit and installation. Now I have some leverage to negotiate it down to $300.
definitely, since its MSRP is $299 installed!!! good luck...

·
Registered
39 Posts
The attached file said 07/08 model year is250/350. Does that mean it wont work for my 06 is350?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just got off the phone with Lexus and to answer my own question. It will not work with 06 isx50 only 07 and 08.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good news, the dealer said they would do it for $300. It would not have happened without that document. I am picking up my new IS350 with the ipod interface installed today. I will let everyone know how it performs.

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
WOW, i'm glad i was able to help you out with that!!!! :approve:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's correct. You cannot have satellite radio with the Lexus kit. That was not a deal breaker to me because I wasn't getting satellite radio. So far the system sounds great, but I haven't really had time to play around with it to learn all the ends and outs. I will give an update in a few days.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hurry up, Bem, I'm ready to get some tunes in my ML car. Bought it 2 weeks ago and I've been waiting on a Kensington unit, but it would be nice to FF/REW the tracks from the steering wheel. Snap a picture of the text info on the radio's display and the glove box cable pleez. :p I wouldn't mind leaving the glove box open while driving, with an iPod touch sitting there in landscape position with the cover flow album art shining away. :cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I called the dealership about this and they quoted me $595 as well. I told them that the document I had listed 4 prices:

Parts Only Dealer Cost $176
Parts Only MSRP $246
Installed Dealer Cost $218
Installed MSRP $299

They told me that the "Installed" price was the price of just the installation process (i.e. labor), not parts + installation. The problem is, even if that's true if the parts are $246 and the installation is $299, that's only $545, they are making $50 more profit in the quote.

Also, $299 to install a $250 part is ridiculous. At $75/hr (a total guess-timate on my part) that's 4 hours of labor, and it's crazy to think that removing the center console, plugging in a couple of wires and putting the center console back in will take 4 hours.

Does anybody have a phone number for Lexus ASG? Is this just a simple customer care issue to call corporate with? My appointment is a week from today so I haven't paid them yet. I've also e-mailed my sales guy to find out if he can get the price down, since I just bought the car last week I'm viewing this less as a service issue and more as an initial sales satisfaction issue (since I haven't even received the new customer survey yet).

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just installed my own today. It took all of 45 minutes. I paid 250 for the part. The dealer wanted the same 300 to install it so I just did it myself. It was a very simple install. Just follow the nav-hack instructions to get the nav unit out and plug it in. it fits in the center right next to the gear shift just perfectly and the chord can go right to the center console flawlessly.
I would definately choose this over the vais any day since you can browse by artist and album and not just playlist. It works great, sounds great and is easy to install. I highly reccomend it to anyone with an 07 or 08 IS.

1 - 20 of 163 Posts