Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think Edmunds' forecast has a coupe from Lexus, that supposedly will be on the IS platform, with a six cylinder engine. I wonder if it's going to materialize.
I hope they make it!
Anyone have any info on it yet?

black/ivory
17"

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'm not sure if it will be exported as a Lexus, but Magazine X and other Japanese scoop magazines have reported that there will be a Progres based Sports Sedan. This maybe what you're talking about. Although this car seems to be a 4DR sedan.

BTW, Progres came out in July 98 and shares the same platform and chassis with the Altezza. Progres has 2.5L or 3.0L 6 inline and has 4AT only. Though it has a very luxurious interior, on the outside it is quite ugly (even with Japanese standards).

The sportier version of the Progres might come out with a design that suits the US and European taste. If it was intended for overseas markets, the design would probably be quite different from the Progres.

However, since there is the GS and IS, I don't know if there is a need for another Sports sedan in the Lexus lineup. Its supposed to come out in the JDM next year, if it was introduced outside Japan at the same time, it might come out as a 2002 model.

The scoop magazines here have no information about a 6 inline 2DR coupe coming out from Toyota.

[This message has been edited by Altezza (edited October 03, 2000).]

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
There had always been a rumor regarding an Altezza based coupe. The rumor started right after Altezza's introduction in Japan, and was published by almost all the major car magazines in US. They were saying that the coupe will replace the Supra and will be available with 3 different engines, the Altezza RS engine, a 3-Liter I6, and a 2.5L turbo I-6. This rumor was around even before the rumor of Altezza coming to US, so it is kind of old. I really do hope they make this car and keep it under $30K as they suggested. Toyota needs a good sports car, and knowing that Honda has both the NSX and S2000, I highly doubt Toyota will just sit around and not do anything.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts