Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Lexus ....

I love the car and am waiting for the 2002 year model. But, how about improving the gas mileage? Why does this car have the same size engine as the ES300, a great drag coefficient (same as ES300), is smaller and lighter (more than 100 lbs) than the ES300, yet gets significantly worse mileage?

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
One reason is that the ES300 is front wheel drive, which is more efficient (when the engine and transmission are joined together with no long driveshaft).

What is disturbing is that the IS300 doesn't seem to do any better than the heavier GS300 (in performance or fuel mileage) and is worse than a BMW 328i (which offers comparable performance, but much better highway mileage).

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think the gas mileage will get higher with age. Currently, I can get between 300-320 on a full tank of gas, mostly highway driving. Haven't done the math yet to determine actual mpg. I alternate between 91 and 92 octane. 92 octane is currently $2.31/gallon on Maui!?!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Actually the most shameful thing is that the LS430's V8 has much larger displacement engine, is much heavier car, has much better performance figures AND the gas mileage is BETTER than the IS's smaller I-6 (and lighter car too)........

Lexus really oughta do something about that!!!!!

Shameful indeed.....

But don't get me wrong.....I've a deposit down for the 2002 IS, and I sincerely hope that things like these will be straightened out by then....

[This message has been edited by dude (edited September 26, 2000).]

·
Registered
591 Posts
Originally posted by TEG:
One reason is that the ES300 is front wheel drive, which is more efficient (when the engine and transmission are joined together with no long driveshaft).

What is disturbing is that the IS300 doesn't seem to do any better than the heavier GS300 (in performance or fuel mileage) and is worse than a BMW 328i (which offers comparable performance, but much better highway mileage).
Teg, what do you consider Much Better Milage?
A mile or two more a gallon?
Just curious. BTW what is the milage specs on the 328??
Thank You.

Denise.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Dude .. did lexus dealer give you any specs on the 2002? Is it going to be manual for sure? any other changes?

·
Registered
342 Posts
hey smra- I know this isnt answering your question, but, the 330 is rated at 19/27, with the auto.

I know that the 330's mileage is better than the 328, so that gives you some idea.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Originally posted by IIIseries:
hey smra- I know this isnt answering your question, but, the 330 is rated at 19/27, with the auto.

I know that the 330's mileage is better than the 328, so that gives you some idea.
Thanks IIIseries, thats what I was talking about. The IS300 has 18/23 vs 19/27.
Thats only 1 mile city and 4 miles highway
difference. Not a very big difference in my
opinion.

Denise.

·
Registered
511 Posts
The only way is to change the gearing from the current 3.91, which means the car will not accelerate as quickly.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Originally posted by sf is3:
Dude .. did lexus dealer give you any specs on the 2002? Is it going to be manual for sure? any other changes?

According to the dealer (which he couldn't confirm but he claimed was mentioned at their meetings) the NAV system and a center armrest are definite maybes (in the US).......the autodim rear view mirrors, still up in the air. (I'm from Canada and the NAV seems to be a no-no since the GPS net only exists for 3 major cities up here.....kinda useless.....

I'm actually hoping for a better ECU program, minor kinks taken out of the system, suspension refinement, NAV, center armrest, etc. I maybe overly optimistic but since they're competing against the bimmer, they really oughta refine it soon.....

Last but not least, a 5-speed manual is definitely a yes on the 2002.
Hope that helps

[This message has been edited by dude (edited September 28, 2000).]

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Factory rep told me:
5 speed and DVD/NAV are definate for 2002 model year.

Any changes to armrest, mirrors, etc are unconfirmed.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Whoa, hold on a sec about the whole mileage thing.

First, how many people actually trust the EPA numbers? Second, take a look at all the various car magazines that do reviews; they give the mileage during their test of the car, which I think better reflects the mileage than the EPA numbers. Also, people on this forum have said that they get decent mileage on their IS300, so who would you rather trust? The EPA or the owners?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Originally posted by JW:
Whoa, hold on a sec about the whole mileage thing.

First, how many people actually trust the EPA numbers? Second, take a look at all the various car magazines that do reviews; they give the mileage during their test of the car, which I think better reflects the mileage than the EPA numbers. Also, people on this forum have said that they get decent mileage on their IS300, so who would you rather trust? The EPA or the owners?
I've gotten 18.5 MPG in my first two tankfuls. 93 Octane, stop n go driving for the most part. Hopefully, will get better with age, like me

------------------
cardinal
'01 Silver/Black
LS, LD, HH, SR, 17"

·
Registered
306 Posts
To improve the highway mileage, they don't have to change the final drive ratio, they can just make 5th gear a little taller - more like a true overdrive.

Originally posted by S38:
The only way is to change the gearing from the current 3.91, which means the car will not accelerate as quickly.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have 1,460 miles on my SBM and I get all over that car! I get 17 MPG and figure I'm doing pretty well. It should go up slightly as the car gets more broken in. ALL things considered I think that's fine. I think I could probably get 23 MPG or maybe even better if I drove it to Yuma or Phoenix and never ever put my foot in it during the whole trip, but so what? I always figured that as long as the MPG wasn't totally unreasonable then it costs what it costs.

If you can't afford the gas then you shouldn't buy the car :).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
12 Participants
mkaufman
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing