Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think the $2000 for the navigation system is worth it?

I personally don't, as you can do aftermarket for much cheaper if you really want it. But maybe some ppl get lost easily? I dunno for me it just seems like an expensive toy that i would get only if i had tons of $$ to waste. What are your opinions?

·
Registered
316 Posts
dont mean to threadjack but how much would it cost to get it installed if you dont have it? i have an 03 if that matters, do i have to get it from a dealer? or is there a cheaper way, thx

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
the "stock" look (with the motorized popup screen) is worth the extra money put in over an aftermarket navi, in my opinion.
of course then you can argue that ppl have put in aftermarket ones with stock housing, but thats just too much hassle.

as for the navi itself, it works in not getting you lost...but there are many improvements that could still be made...

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
theres much more than just navigation. theres the very useful POI function (points of interest) that locates 95% of all the gas stations, supermarkets, restaurants. i find that very useful especailly if youre in an unfamiliar area. also you can input an address and itll lead you straight to it.
to top it off i feel like my IS3 is more unique cuz not alot of ppl have navi especially with 5sp MT :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
DVD navigational systems are quite nice. I read somewhere, that the navi is able to send a signal to the street light to either push the priority of a red light to a green light or lower the priority depending upon the driving mood you are in

·
Registered
325 Posts
i managed to pull a discount down to 1200 dollars USD. firstly i thought it wasn't worth the money anyway, i tell you it's worth the money and it comes in *VERY* handy during traffic jams.

·
Registered
325 Posts
i managed to pull a discount down to 1200 dollars USD. firstly i thought it wasn't worth the money anyway, i tell you it's worth the money and it comes in *VERY* handy during traffic jams.

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
ObviouslyGerman said:
japan is an island, how easy is it to get lost on an island? i dunno why theres a nav to begin with
u obviously have never been there.... :shame:

·
Registered
898 Posts
IS300eR said:
ObviouslyGerman said:
japan is an island, how easy is it to get lost on an island? i dunno why theres a nav to begin with
u obviously have never been there.... :shame:
:lol: exactly what I was gonna say. Do you know many of the streets of Japan are more narrow than someone's penis, and there's 2 way traffic on them.

·
8,852 Posts
Here is a $400 alternative:

It works great in the sun, easy to install, no moving parts (DVD or Hard Drive).
Best of all, I can change it all I want while driving, unlike the stock system.

Oh, and I can also take it out of my car and go hiking and so on.

If you are same as me - changing cars every 3 years, you would trully appreciate not spending 2K every time you do so by just re-installing a simple device.

·
Registered
600 Posts
BigDaddyRich said:
I have the Poineer Voice Activated Touch Screen Navigation and I wonder why people think the stock IS300 nav is so great. its child's play compared to recent market releases and what is standard on other newer cars.
Because voice activation and touch screen are just two different ways of input. They make the system "cool", but not necessary great.

What make a NAV system great are the usefulness of guidance features and accuracy/details of the map. And the OEM NAV very well have those.

On a side note, our NAV screen motor is quieter than those on an Audi A8. Cool, eh?

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
niptekracing said:
DVD navigational systems are quite nice. I read somewhere, that the navi is able to send a signal to the street light to either push the priority of a red light to a green light or lower the priority depending upon the driving mood you are in
WTF? Where did this come up? Not in Dayton Ohio :lol: We don't even have very many FM stations that broadcast RDS :lol:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.