Lexus IS Forum banner

Lexus Extra Care Warranty

1K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  xtaticconcepts 
#1 ·
I just got a beautiful '05 IS300 so it's a little tough to think about an extended warranty. So my question is -- what do YOU think of taking it to 7 years/100K for $2208? Any thoughts?

#2 ·
i would do it.... if fact, im about to do it soon with my 05 as well. i just think you can never be too careful u know?

#3 ·
MSRP on 7yrs/100k Platnium with zero out of pocket is $1825. Get it from a Toyota dealer, it's the SAME coverage. And besides, u don't have to buy it now, u have up till the time ur existing coverage expires (4yrs/50k) to buy it.

I know because I did that, bought it two weeks b4 mine expired at about $1400 from a Toyota dealer.

#4 ·
Congrats on the car and welcome aboard. :) Enjoy surfing the site and don't let the mod bud bite hard. ;)

SakiMartini is right. You can either buy it now or buy it later. I got mine six months before the basic warranty expires. It does not make a difference because Lexus Extra Care is an extension of your basic 4yrs/50,000 miles warranty, It commence at the time you took delivery of your car. So it starts on 05 to 11.

The misconception about this is that a lot of people who buys Lexus Extra Care is that they think it starts when the 4yrs/50,000 miles warranty ends and thinking they have another 7yrs of warranty. Ask your sales rep to explain it to you in detail.

#6 ·
Talk to the finance guy at a Toyota Dealership, cause that's the one that sells it. Tell him to look up the codes for the Lexus Extended warranty. That's all it is. Fill paperwork, pay, and two weeks later, u get a confirmation. You can even call 800-25-Lexus to verify that it's in their system.

Grayrider is right, remember u r really buying for an ADDITIONAL 3yrs/50k...so take that into consideration when u agree to a price. The first 4yrs/50k came with the price of the car, of which you ALREADY PAID FOR!

#7 ·
SakiMartini said:
Talk to the finance guy at a Toyota Dealership, cause that's the one that sells it. Tell him to look up the codes for the Lexus Extended warranty. That's all it is. Fill paperwork, pay, and two weeks later, u get a confirmation. You can even call 800-25-Lexus to verify that it's in their system.

Grayrider is right, remember u r really buying for an ADDITIONAL 3yrs/50k...so take that into consideration when u agree to a price. The first 4yrs/50k came with the price of the car, of which you ALREADY PAID FOR!
thanks very much, will look into that today. Ac tually I have just turned 48K on my 03 so I will be paying for just the 3yr/50K miles. Though I will admit, the only problem I have had with the car has been the headunit and cosmetic (headliner on sunroof cover peeled). Its been trouble free and am thinking I might just be burning the 1500 that could get me a camcon and tuning lol.

#8 ·
extended warranty is for crap...if you do get it, MAKE SURE IT COVERS EVERYTHING, i mean everything, and get that chit in writing. I got one, and they gave me the run around and BS excuses on just about every claim I made...and it didn't even cover some of them.

#9 ·
wingzero said:
extended warranty is for crap...if you do get it, MAKE SURE IT COVERS EVERYTHING, i mean everything, and get that chit in writing. I got one, and they gave me the run around and BS excuses on just about every claim I made...and it didn't even cover some of them.
Did you get the Lexus Care and which level?? There are different levels Lexus Care thus different coverages, with deductables and without.

#11 ·
nag them, tell them another dealer is offering lower and go back and forth, I paid $1400 for mine and was sure they would go even lower.

#13 ·
I am at 48900 miles now. It is not worth the extra 1500 for me since this car is so reliable.....besides there still is the 6/70 powertrain warranty for something big.

If things go wrong then I'll just pay out of pocket but the odds are very much in my favour that it won't add up to 1500 in the next 50k....Why? Because these things while giving vertain customers piece of mind, bring in great profits to the dealer and Lexus.

#16 ·
It's "What IF" that ur buying. Glad to hear you all didn't have problems, but seen many more where that wasn't the case.

I love the piece of mind that because I have it, I can drive up to a Lexus service and have them look things over while I either get a ride back to work or take a loaner. It can be as simple as a belt is lose and they'll take care of it...FREE!

About warranty, general rule of thumb in the US market is that the warranty terms that is offered for 'FREE' is based on a study of when the item will start breaking down. It's like a bell curve, that's y u have to pay for the extended, and after that Lexus doesn't even offer u an option cause it's just straight out losing money from that point on.

0-4yrs/50k = no problem, Lexus feels very confident about their products
up to 7yrs/100k = well...things do break, but based on Lexus studies; it is worth their risk to off it
after 7yrs/100k = hellz no they aint offering nothing!

Again, u r buying a "What IF something happens" and Lexus is selling a "What IF nothing happens" during the ADDITIONAL 3yrs/50k extended warranty that you bought.

And yes, I was business major! haha

#17 ·
ya it's nice to just drop it off for an oil change/whatever and then they give you an RX and they fix and look over your car while it's there free of charge. They found a gasket leak last oil change and fixed that, rocks in my heat shield another time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.