Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came back from the dealership yesterday and asked how much it would cost to re-paint the car the same color and take out the two dents i have. The guy gives me a quote of 4,562.72 !!! Thats F**kin outrageous! I know dealerships are obligated to charge more for the same/similar service, but this is ridiculous! I love my car and all but for that kinda price i could probably get myself a small turbo! Im so pissed right now about the estimate im actually begining to think of taking up my Pop's offer on a 330ci. Can someone here recomend to me a good *reliable* place where I can get the job done. Something like repainting a car the same color should be within the range of 1,000- 2,000 right?

·
Banned
4,334 Posts
Re: Lexus dealership is really pulling me on the re-paint. H

Izzo300 said:
I just came back from the dealership yesterday and asked how much it would cost to re-paint the car the same color and take out the two dents i have. The guy gives me a quote of 4,562.72 !!! Thats F**kin outrageous! I know dealerships are obligated to charge more for the same/similar service, but this is ridiculous! I love my car and all but for that kinda price i could probably get myself a small turbo! Im so pissed right now about the estimate im actually begining to think of taking up my Pop's offer on a 330ci. Can someone here recomend to me a good *reliable* place where I can get the job done. Something like repainting a car the same color should be within the range of 1,000- 2,000 right?
What color is your car?

and 4.1/2k sounds just about right.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
color is black. The reason I want to go through all of the trouble is because I want to sell the car for a 04 IS this summer. I know at the lex dealership i'll get top quality work which wont interfere with the car's warrenty, and ill i have a warrenty on the paint it self if anything happens adversly.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Izzo300 said:
color is black. The reason I want to go through all of the trouble is because I want to sell the car for a 04 IS this summer. I know at the lex dealership i'll get top quality work which wont interfere with the car's warrenty, and ill i have a warrenty on the paint it self if anything happens adversly.
I say a good 3 stage paint from a good and reputable shop will be about 3.5-4k so the dealer quote isn't outrageous.

By the way, most shops will guarantee their paint for the life of the car so I wouldn't worry about the warranty of the paint.

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
if you go through the lexus dealership they'll probably outsource the job to a body shop anyway. I've never seen a paint booth in a dealership.

And 4.5k seems about right at a dealer.

·
Registered
12,081 Posts
PoloBoy168 said:
Izzo300 said:
I say a good 3 stage paint from a good and reputable shop will be about 3.5-4k so the dealer quote isn't outrageous.

By the way, most shops will guarantee their paint for the life of the car so I wouldn't worry about the warranty of the paint.
Black Onyx is not a 3 stage. It is a one stage paint. There is no clearcoat on this color.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
Izzo300 said:
i thought i read somewhere that repainted cars lose their value. since the buyer assumes the car had some trouble.

ive never heard of warranty on paint. maybe they can guarantee their work but not a warranty.

·
Registered
29 Posts
baadhabit said:
Izzo300 said:
i thought i read somewhere that repainted cars lose their value. since the buyer assumes the car had some trouble.

ive never heard of warranty on paint. maybe they can guarantee their work but not a warranty.
Car repainted their NON-Factory color lose their value. Although even if repainted its original color the quality can be less than stellar and hurt the resale value. Paint always has warranty against fading etc etc.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Norcal IS300 said:
PoloBoy168 said:
Izzo300 said:

Black Onyx is not a 3 stage. It is a one stage paint. There is no clearcoat on this color.
Well said about the 1 stage. Black Onyx HAS NO clear coat.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I am getting getting my left and right quarter panel work on because of the dents on the car and also i am getting my whole hood repainted.. too many little chips. If he doesn't know that black onxy doesn't have clearcoat and he applies the clear coat on will it damage the paint or it wouldnt' really matter.[/quote]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.