Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The service rep told me that he will not put synthetic oil in my car at 5,000 miles. He said he will only do it at 10,000 miles and it will cost $26 more. He told me that the seals havn't seated yet, and the oil would prevent it from ever seating and would cause problems in the car.

Let me know what you think i should do. Thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
First, the IS doesn't come with synthetic from the factory. I started using Synthetic at my 5k service. I took it into the Lexus dealer in DC, brought my own Mobil1 5W30 oil and paid for a filter and labor. I recommend using Synthetic and have spoken with many Lexus mechanics who have said nothing but positive things about using synthetic in the IS. I just turned 20,000 on my IS this week, and have not had a single problem with seating of seals or anything. And when using sythetic oil, you only need to do an oil change every 7,500 miles. For our high performance engines I don't see why you wouldn't want to use sythetic; especially if it's a new car and you want to prevent premature wear; particularly if you drive her hard. :D :D

I always bring a case of Mobil1 oil with me to the dealer; which prevents having to pay about $9/quart for it. I've used both lexus and toyota dealers for oil changes because 1) they use the same filter (toyota usually a cheaper labor rate), and 2) Toyota makes a good filter.

Again, i've been using synthetic since 5k and put about 15k on the car since; and have not had a single problem. If lexus doesn't want to change your oil; bring it to toyota. Just my .02

·
Registered
17 Posts
syth oil

I also have used synthetic oil since 5k on my is 300. I bring it to toyota as the dealer wants $127.00 for an oil change. Toyota only charged me $19.00 as I brought my oil in. (good idea to ask them to put the empty containers back in the box as you know it will be put in your car).

vmj007

·
Registered
975 Posts
Re: syth oil

vmj007 said:
I also have used synthetic oil since 5k on my is 300. I bring it to toyota as the dealer wants $127.00 for an oil change. Toyota only charged me $19.00 as I brought my oil in. (good idea to ask them to put the empty containers back in the box as you know it will be put in your car).

vmj007
put in WHOOOSE car??? How can one be sure :-?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I sense a little distrust. Hey, not a bad idea about the empty quarts; but, if you don't trust that they are putting in your oil then why even bring your car to them. Do it yourself? Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Why not just let them do the free change for you and use synthetic at the next service? I have 23k miles now and my motor was not broken in until 10k miles. Fuel mileage went up, engine is more eager to rev, and it's a little quicker by my butt-o-meter. It seems like others have had similar commetns that about 10k miles the motor get sbroken in.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
he's right... your engine doesn't comletely set until about 10-15K miles, sometimes more if you drive without using the gas pedal :roll:

After 10K miles is when you'll also realize the best HP out of your car, too... Keep with regular motor oil, it's not bad or harmful, and switch to synthetic after 10K miles...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have heard that about breaking in engines too. I would trust the dealer on that one. I am a member at the s10 forum and they talk about synthetic oil all the time. A few things that they came to a consensus about:

1. yes synthetic oil will last over 5000 km asuming your engine doesn't burn any oil. Lab tests have shown used synthetic oil still protects as well as new conventional oil.

2. Even though you don't change the oil every 5000 km, you should change the oil filter at least. Coze it get cloged up. then top your oil back up.

4. In truck'n magazine they did dyno testing to see if there was a hp gain by using synthetic oil. I think they had a 3-5hp increase. (in a big block chevy)

3. Semi-synthetic is crap.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If that's the type of advise your getting from your Lexus Service Manager then you need to find another dealership. There was a time many years ago when synthetic oil first hit the market that you could experience some problems with synthetic oil as it relates to the seals in the engine. The seal manufacturers have come a long way since those early days and it sounds like your mechanic is just living in the past. I guess Chevy makes a better engine seal since the Vette is equiped from the factory with synthetic.

Engine seals and rings for that matter are one of two things, seated, or leaking. This all happens in about the first four to five minutes that the engine is running. Unless your blowing all kinds of blue smoke out the back as you drive down the road then everything is seated.

Synthetic or petroleum? That's a no brainer..if you want paraffin wax, sludge, poor dirt suspension, and oil that flows like tar in the cold then go with the petroleum.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
13 Participants
byecycle
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing