Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lease my is300 and i was wondering if it's required that a lexus dealership do the maintenance at the appropriate intervals or is it ok that i do my own maintenance?

i called to schedule my 10,000 mile service and it's going to cost me $140. i never realized that maintenance would be so much when i leased this car. i figure i can change my own oil, check the fluids, take the car for a test drive, and wash the car all by myself. i'd probably do it faster and with more care than any other lexus certified technician.

please tell me it's not required!!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by SilverLex:
It's not required. $140?! Ouch. My 10K was $88.
if it's not required, why does it seem that most people go to the dealership for service?

Another dealership around the same area wanted $190...now that's an ouch.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Probably for a variety of differnt reasons.

1. The want the best service for the car.

2. They want the people who know the car best working on it.

3. If issues do arrive after warranty, generally dealerships are less likely to blame the customer and more likely to give you a break on repairs.

4. Cars value may be higher at resale when trade in time comes around if you get all your service at the dealership.

5. Money is not an issue.

Probably some more I'm forgetting. But you get the idea.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Well said, SilverLex.

I figure if I wanted/expected cheap maintenance costs I would have purchased a Honda, Kia, Hyundai or some American POS.

No one likes to get ripped off, but the fact of the matter is that Lexus is a luxury car that comes with luxury car maintenance costs.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Ah yes, and I forgot to mention that the service is generally second to none, with plush waiting rooms, free drinks/food, putting greens, car washes, and don't forget the loaner vehicles.

·
Registered
69 Posts
is my dealer alone, or are other dealers also willing to come get your car for service...not that I am big on thier drivers driving my car, but Lexus does come get my car and leave a lexus in my spot as a loner...they will come to my house or work...same deal when they are done, they bring it back...it is a nice touch since I am 35 miles from my dealer...

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by accelr8:
Well said, SilverLex.

I figure if I wanted/expected cheap maintenance costs I would have purchased a Honda, Kia, Hyundai or some American POS.

No one likes to get ripped off, but the fact of the matter is that Lexus is a luxury car that comes with luxury car maintenance costs.
my question is whether the maintenance the dealer does justifies the high prices. even though it is a lexus, mechanically, it is just like any other car out there. i also feel a little uneasy letting the techs take my car in the back and a few hours later receiving my car and trusting that everything has been done and done correctly.

i guess i'm just used to doing things myself and knowing that my car has been maintained properly instead of trusting the work of others.

does anyone else feel the same way i do??

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Originally posted by jiggs:
is my dealer alone, or are other dealers also willing to come get your car for service...not that I am big on thier drivers driving my car, but Lexus does come get my car and leave a lexus in my spot as a loner...they will come to my house or work...same deal when they are done, they bring it back...it is a nice touch since I am 35 miles from my dealer...
I only live a few miles from our dealership, so it's never a problem to drive in. But I recently had my 10K service, and they realized that they would need to order a new door hinge. They offered to send a valet to our house to pick up the car and leave a loaner when the part came in.

Gotta like that.

I don't think you're alone Louiee. Plenty here do their own maintenance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You do not have to have any maint. done at a Lexus dealer. They reccomend it, but it is not required. The only required maint is oil changes. Mine is leased also, and all I plan on doing is the oil changes. Nothing else is required, only "Reccomended". I've worked at Toyota dealers for a few years now, so I know hoy the warranties work. Great exaple for everyone - I had my IS in for some warranty work a few months back, at the time I was due for an oil change, so I figured while it was there, I would have them do it. I called the service department and asked them how much, $59.95 + tax, when I asked what else they do besides change the oil and filter for $60, they said nothing. At toyota we charge $19.95 + tax - Same filter, same oil, same techs. Some days we had more Lexus's in the shop for oil changes than Toyota's. I would reccomed that if your going to pay a dealer to change your oil, at least go to a Toyota dealer and save yourself some cash. Hell, it's even cheaper than Jiffy Lube, and most Toyot dealers offer "Express Lube" which is 29 min or less, or your next one is free - can't beat that, and Lexus doesn't even offer that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You do not have to have any maint. done at a Lexus dealer. They reccomend it, but it is not required. The only required maint is oil changes. Mine is leased also, and all I plan on doing is the oil changes. Nothing else is required, only "Reccomended". I've worked at Toyota dealers for a few years now, so I know hoy the warranties work. Great exaple for everyone - I had my IS in for some warranty work a few months back, at the time I was due for an oil change, so I figured while it was there, I would have them do it. I called the service department and asked them how much, $59.95 + tax, when I asked what else they do besides change the oil and filter for $60, they said nothing. At toyota we charge $19.95 + tax - Same filter, same oil, same techs. Some days we had more Lexus's in the shop for oil changes than Toyota's. I would reccomed that if your going to pay a dealer to change your oil, at least go to a Toyota dealer and save yourself some cash. Hell, it's even cheaper than Jiffy Lube, and most Toyot dealers offer "Express Lube" which is 29 min or less, or your next one is free - can't beat that, and Lexus doesn't even offer that.

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
oops, sorry about the three posts (internet went screwy)

One other point, at 10k for $180, besides changing your oil, they ROTATE YOUR TIRES!!!!!!!
(9.95-19.95 at Toyota, of free in your driveyay)

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Originally posted by louiee_g:
my question is whether the maintenance the dealer does justifies the high prices. even though it is a lexus, mechanically, it is just like any other car out there. i also feel a little uneasy letting the techs take my car in the back and a few hours later receiving my car and trusting that everything has been done and done correctly.

i guess i'm just used to doing things myself and knowing that my car has been maintained properly instead of trusting the work of others.

does anyone else feel the same way i do??

I totally agree.....Couldn't have said it better myself.....

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Originally posted by LVMotorsports:
oops, sorry about the three posts (internet went screwy)

One other point, at 10k for $180, besides changing your oil, they ROTATE YOUR TIRES!!!!!!!
(9.95-19.95 at Toyota, of free in your driveyay)
Hmmm...

My 10K service was $88 (oil, rotate, useless inspections
etc...), and I got an RX300 for the day along with a wash, fill-up and vacuum.

Although, I don't disagree that it's cheaper at Toyota, you got to give Lexus a little more credit than that.

[ September 05, 2001: Message edited by: SilverLex ]

·
Registered
18 Posts
and I got an RX300 for the day along with a wash, fill-up and vacuum.
If you find the right Toyota dealer, they'll do the same, just suck up a little (most will because they figure you'll keep coming back and eventually you'll need work outside warranty, and they make more on Lexus cash work than Toyota) So use this to your advantage

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Originally posted by LVMotorsports:
If you find the right Toyota dealer, they'll do the same, just suck up a little (most will because they figure you'll keep coming back and eventually you'll need work outside warranty, and they make more on Lexus cash work than Toyota) So use this to your advantage
That's good advice, and something I wan't aware of. I would probably do that if money was the issue. But so far I'm happy with my service at the dealership, and don't mind paying a premium.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Warranties state that you do not need to have your work done at the dealership, you can do it yourself and it will not affect you warranty at all.I checked into it for my factory warranty and my extended warranty.

·
Registered
177 Posts
If you do the work yourself, remember to keep ALL the receipts for your oil, oil filters and whatever maintenance parts you end up getting just in case the warranty company tries to sweat you on any warranty work.

Originally posted by Craig:
Warranties state that you do not need to have your work done at the dealership, you can do it yourself and it will not affect you warranty at all.I checked into it for my factory warranty and my extended warranty.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
8 Participants
GCM
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing