Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Norihiko Shirouzu, Staff Reporter of The Wall Street Journal recently interviewed Denny Clements, head of the Lexus brand in the U.S. Here are his comments on the IS:

In the entry-level luxury segment -- which has been growing as vigorously as the segment for $70,000 or above luxury cars -- Mr. Clements said Lexus is looking to offer more body styles and other variants for the redesigned IS car in an effort to dislodge BMW's near monopoly on sporty, entry-level luxury-car buyers. Lexus hasn't said exactly when the redesign IS would arrive in dealer showrooms, but one Toyota official said it should come within the next two to three years.

Mr. Clements noted BMW sells about 10,000 3-Series cars a month, which he said are offered in several body styles, including convertible, and with powertrain and other options. "A half of those sales are coupes, and I don't even have an IS coupe in my lineup," he said.

Currently, Lexus offers two IS models -- a sedan and a hatchback. "We need for sure a coupe, a convertible and a sedan with multiple powertrain offerings," said Mr. Clements. He went on to say, "It's important for us to be competitive in the entry-level luxury segment" to capture those 30-something consumers who are buying BMWs. "Those are young professionals that are going to be luxury-car buyers for the rest of their lives."

Here's a link to the entire article:
http://biz.yahoo.com/djus/040115/1420001220_3.html
which also discusses Lexus' need to move in the other direction: models positioned above the current LS and SC.

·
Premium Member
16,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dunno... I'm more confused than ever. A very recent Automotive News article says the 2nd-gen. IS will be out no later than Spring 2005. A Lexus guy I talked to at the Lexus SUV driving event last year said this summer (2004). Now this... :crazy:

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
and last spring 2003 the parts guy at my dealer said their computer system had a 2dr coupe model pop up on the computer ....

so go figuire.... :whine:

·
11,054 Posts
Great...I won't be buying a new car for a while anyway. Looking forward to seeing the lineup at that time.

·
Premium Member
16,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lexluger180 said:
2-3 now ppl stop with the bs redesign posts :pissed:
This ISN'T just another B.S. redesign post. When the head of Lexus in the U.S. speaks, I listen & post it here.

·
Registered
15,540 Posts
tsopranoMB said:
i've been saying all along.... 2-3 more years

enough with the speculation already....

:crazy:
I could also quote you saying the reason the '04 Sport Design was introduced was too keep interest in a cars last year.

Seems that you say lots of stuff, but most of it is fluff

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
HoustonLex said:
tsopranoMB said:
i've been saying all along.... 2-3 more years

enough with the speculation already....

:crazy:
I could also quote you saying the reason the '04 Sport Design was introduced was too keep interest in a cars last year.

Seems that you say lots of stuff, but most of it is fluff
yes, thats correct....so, go quote me on it....

yeah, Lexus came out with the 2004 sportdesign to spark more interest in sales in the IS since they were very lackluster....I did post once before there was no sportdesign for 2004, then first week of january it "quietly" was introduced the same day the all new 2006 GS was unveiled...

i say lots of stuff, but most of its fluff?? :lol:

nahh man, I voice and share my opinion on it...

its just so funny how people get so worked up over a new model....is everyone just going to sell/trade their car just cuz its a new model? :crazy:

if they have a 2DR coupe, that would be another story...

and the speculation continues!!!!!! :x

·
Premium Member
16,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jetstar said:
My lease is up in March of '05. If the redesign isn't on that model, I will take my business elsewhere. Nothing worse then getting a new car and having the model redesigned the next year.
I'm with you on that one. Mine's up on July 2005.

Think positive, though. I'm cautiously optimistic we'll have a new IS to look forward to then.

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
jruhi4 said:
jetstar said:
My lease is up in March of '05. If the redesign isn't on that model, I will take my business elsewhere. Nothing worse then getting a new car and having the model redesigned the next year.
I'm with you on that one. Mine's up on July 2005.

Think positive, though. I'm cautiously optimistic we'll have a new IS to look forward to then.
I'm a proud owner...I guess its different for you leased guys.... :wink:

·
Registered
385 Posts
ckolsen said:
2-3 years means Lexus has to try to sell the already outdated IS even after BMW has a new 3 series? They smoking crack over there? As Whitney Houston would say, "Crack is whack".
Maybe they want to see what the next 3-Series has, to see what’s going to be needed to topple it. Let’s say they pretty much have it done at about the same time as the next 3-Series, then the 3-Series is released first. They then can compare , & make final adjustments (ie maybe bump up hp a bit more to beat BMW in hp, fine-tune the suspension, etc) before releasing it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.