Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I plan to re-do my calipers coming up here pretty soon.

I will be taking the time to take all 4 calipers off the car, grind them down and make them feel like glass. There will be no casting marks or pits left on the caliper.

Here is my issue, I like dark colors. Mirror black, flat black, gunmetals. But something tells me ahhhh go red!!

To be honest im not a fan of red at all, in fact I would hate to powder coat them myself then not like it.

So ill show you some examples. LEt me know what you think.
Mirror Black.. Full uv and chemicle resistant.

Flat black... Full uv and chemicle resistant.

Something im toying with doing Dark Silver Metallic. Full uv and chemical resistant

Now this is just for example. This is candy red powder coat, its not so easy to do. First you have to spray down mirror chrom powder coat, then hit it with candy red. Can come out splotchy if you don't have alot of exp doing it.

But with this you can do candy red, candy blue and candy smoke gunmetal.

Here is what I was thinking of doing on my ggp.

I need some help here guys, for the first time I am having an issue on what I should play with and do to the car. I do not want to do the work all over again, getting powder coat off is a bitch without a blaster.

D

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
I like flat black or the dark silver metallic, I'm not a fan of red brake calipers either, I think they stand out too much and look a bit stupid on most cars.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
that ggp is sexy... my spraypainted-red calipers have chips from when the retards at america's tire co. rotate my tires... i'd def look into getting that last one

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im thinking the dark silver metallic really. Im not sure though. I plan to do my whole upper intake plenums and tb also, but prolly a flat black, I figure ill just do a major service on my car and since you need to mess with all those things anyways I should just coat it all.

The caliper thing is starting to bother me though.

D

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the issue with flat black is, it doesn't hide imperfections.

So I guess i better not have eny eh : )

D

·
Registered
396 Posts
Be different... go with Kawasaki/Tein green, magenta, midnight blue/purple metallic, bright purple, or that Laguna Seca blue on E46 M3's. You need some contrast, especially with a GGP.

Red is also good, but too common.

Whatever makes your boat float. hehe

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
those colors don't float my boat.

If i was pulling off a ton of other mods then i could toss any color in there.

D

·
Registered
753 Posts
Candy Blue is interesting - +1 for a pic of that

out of those shown, I would go red on the ggp - imho, calipers are small/seperate enough to add some nice contrast w/o requiring anything else to match them... Red is a bit on the common side though, but maybe with good reason...

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
GGP! i want those, but don't have down time... someday i'll do them

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

D

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
texture semi gloss black

Blue Military wrinkle

Mirror Yellow. I want to try this one someones car or something. I love this look.

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Mirror blue kinda hot!!

D

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
this red is ideal for calipers has a high impact rating and low uv resistance.

d

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
now i love this look, it almost looks wet!!!!

Glossy black powder coat.

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i think so also, but im not a red kinda guy!

ACKKKKKKKKKKK

decisions.

D

·
Registered
161 Posts

Gloss Black powdercoat is probably one of the least durable powdercoats available.

Think of it as a single stage black paint job, with no wax on it. It'll look great for a few weeks, then scratch city.

If it were me, I'd go flat black. Brakes are made to do their job, not be seen.

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't concur.

I have posted pics of a caliper I did with 30k miles on it to date. Cleans up great and the resistance is awesome.

D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts