Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have had an on going problem and its driving me nuts. I have a squeak in the left rear of my car when ever I get in or out of my car or hit a bump. I thought it was the strut so i took that out and cleaned it and put it back in. 5 minutes later after driving it came back. I'm curious has anyone ever noticed any of the bushings becoming dry and rotted casuing this squeak. All my bushings look to be alright and just to see if I could stop it I squirted some silicone spray all over each bushing and it didnt do anything to help diag the problem. Any help would good since I'm about to go crazy over my Green IS!

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
The rear mounts are definitely known to squeak when they get old.

Don't cheap out, buy a new set of bushings and get it taken care of.

·
Premium Member
4,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
whoc rear mounts are you talking about again? sorry im confused by just reading rear mounts. and i wont cheap out if i need new ones ill buy them asap!

·
Premium Member
4,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so anyone know what these rubber mounts are that go bad?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you ever find out what the squeek was? I've sprayed oil on everything over the years for the same issue, but If you found a bushing and if it's easy or cheap, I'll replace it. Thanks,

·
Registered
778 Posts
Looks like I got this issue too now.

Just did my alignment and put on my summers and now my left rear is making this squeak when I'm going from stop to first gear and when I'm slowly rolling.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Guys, winter just passed by along with a load of salt that dries up any type of bushing.

The most common squeek is definitely swap bar bushings. Spraying lube on the outside will not help those. Take the bushings off the swaybars and grease up the inside of where the bar passes.

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
of course you can replace all the rear suspension components

·
Premium Member
23,314 Posts
Take your rear swaybar mount off and wrap teflon thread sealant tape around the sway bar. It makes an EXCELLENT dry lubricant. I did it when I installed my TRD sways but I think I need to do it again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have developed what I would call a thump thump in the rear left wheel/suspension assembly. I took off the inner-trunk cover and when I rock the car up and down, with my hand on the three bolts on top of the shock-strut assembly you can feel the clunk-thumb as the noise comes and goes.

The shock isn't leaking much, if at all, but I am not sure it is bad or the problem is one of the (apparently) several bushings in the strut assembly.

The car is a 2008 with only 16,000 miles so I am disappointed that anything is worn to the extent of the noise I have. I have researched changing the shocks which (if I buy KYB replacements) is not too $$$$. I just don't want to go to the trouble of pulling it all apart and finding some other part is kaput and not having a replacement.

Anyone know what the bushings cost inside the spring/strut assembly so I might change out the whole mess when its apart? Any other ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
611 Posts
I have the same squeak, but in my RIGHT rear tire side, not left rear.

And yea my car is lowered with eibach rear sway bar with figs bushings and endlinks, and figs rear toe links, but it's had this setup for months now. And the squeak is kind of new.

I only notice it when I enter my driveway, meaning the car dips down, then up again.
I don't notice it when I exit my driveway, which is weird.

any ideas? could this be a bad rear lower ball joint? is it common to have to buy new rear LBJ's?

or is it the rear subframe mounts like posted above?

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
ny ideas? could this be a bad rear lower ball joint? is it common to have to buy new rear LBJ's?
You can't buy OEM LBJ's. It's Figs replacements or new knuckles. The LBJ's are relatively easy to diagnose. I'd get the car up on stands then see if you can get clunky movement out of the LBJ. Mine were worn at 250K miles. They clunked a little.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts