Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got white 9005 to use as DRLs and did the full power mod with the u shaped wire by the black little box. Then I turn on my LEDs and they are at like 10% power and you can't even tell their on.

Then to check on bulb at a time I took one out and turned it on and the one bulb was at 100% power like it should be.

Why won't they BOTH work at 100% power and what is wrong with my lighting?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you say U shaped wire, you mean that you jumped out the two wires going to the DRL resistor right?
Yeah I did the U-Shaped wire leading to the resistor box.

The lights themselves power full when only one is on, but when you plug two in together they get really low.

It's like there isn't enough power to share between the two lights.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Yeah I did the U-Shaped wire leading to the resistor box.

The lights themselves power full when only one is on, but when you plug two in together they get really low.

It's like there isn't enough power to share between the two lights.
MY2J brought up a good point, even tho jumping out the resistor should've worked. I would grab the harness that he mentioned.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Problem Solved!

The U-shaped Full DRL Mod didn't seem to work for a lot of people, so I did
the merge the two wires mod instead.

Full power on both lights! Thanks for the help

·
Registered
87 Posts
More info on this merging two wire mod please. I have some led drls that I would like to use and l can't am having the same issue.

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
MY2J brought up a good point, even tho jumping out the resistor should've worked. I would grab the harness that he mentioned.
:lol: they ignore good feedback. I don't get it... risking a short instead of spending $10. They're allowance from mom and dad must not be in their budget... another reason why these cars have become the new gen of Civics with half ass mods being done :disagree:

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
:lol: they ignore good feedback. I don't get it... risking a short instead of spending $10. They're allowance from mom and dad must not be in their budget... another reason why these cars have become the new gen of Civics with half ass mods being done :disagree:
Yet another good point:lol: jumping out the resistor is not the best idea. They made the harness for a reason.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I just received two of the modules linked above along with their (V-LEDs) 5k white 13 watt LED 9005 bulbs. The DRLs do not come on with the modules installed and the bulbs work just fine by their selves as a plug and play application. I found it to be interesting.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I just received two of the modules linked above along with their (V-LEDs) 5k white 13 watt LED 9005 bulbs. The DRLs do not come on with the modules installed and the bulbs work just fine by their selves as a plug and play application. I found it to be interesting.
All that device is a small transformer which bumps up the low voltage when the DRL's operate at low power. When the DRL's are on, they are powered in series, so voltage is very low. That little box is supposedly rated for 15 watts, and since your LED's require 13 watts of power, I wouldn't be surprised if it exceeded the little transformer.

Better off doing one of the full power DRL mods already listed in the forum then adding something that could potentially get hot and fail with a full load on it.

Summary: Garbage

·
Registered
198 Posts
"the economy" ;)

·
Registered
743 Posts
All that device is a small transformer which bumps up the low voltage when the DRL's operate at low power. When the DRL's are on, they are powered in series, so voltage is very low. That little box is supposedly rated for 15 watts, and since your LED's require 13 watts of power, I wouldn't be surprised if it exceeded the little transformer.

Better off doing one of the full power DRL mods already listed in the forum then adding something that could potentially get hot and fail with a full load on it.

Summary: Garbage
Interesting info. I got the modules trying to do the job the "non-ricer way" ha, but luckily they are going to return both modules.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bringing this thread back to life with a question!!

I want to run a resister in the plug. What ohm resister should I get? To clarify, i want to run the full drl mod without a 10 gauge wire. I prefer the resister.

·
Mr. Roo
9,684 Posts
Bringing this thread back to life with a question!!

I want to run a resister in the plug. What ohm resister should I get? To clarify, i want to run the full drl mod without a 10 gauge wire. I prefer the resister.
You do realize that the thing you're trying to bypass is a resistor right? Why would you replace a resistor with a resistor? If you want to run a resistor in the plug, just leave it plugged into the OEM resistor. But if you want to run the full DRL mod, you can't have any resistors. Resistors = less power, not full.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You do realize that the thing you're trying to bypass is a resistor right? Why would you replace a resistor with a resistor? If you want to run a resistor in the plug, just leave it plugged into the OEM resistor. But if you want to run the full DRL mod, you can't have any resistors. Resistors = less power, not full.
So you'd recommend a 10 gauge (or whatever) wire ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts