Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2002s are coming very soon to my dealer in Fresno, Ca. I have made my mind up about what i want and what color and everything, but the only thing stopping me from putting in an order or "preference" is that i havent seen what the full leather option looks like in the IS. I like the escaine, but im just not sure. Does anyone have any pics of all leather interior from a car show or something? thanks

·
$lores amongst us!
10,974 Posts
Look at the gallery in this forum and then go to page 6. There is a picture of a 2002 with all leather seats.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, besides the pics, what is everyones oppinion about getting either leather or escaine. take into consideration stains, ride, and look. thanks for the input

·
Registered
148 Posts
Don't forget it gets HOT in Fresno, and ecsaine stays cool, unlike leather. I actually like the ecsaine stuff. If I could, I'd have all ecsaine seats. Leather eventually cracks, and other people have complained that the IS has low quality leather.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
The escaine is going to hold its looks better over time, unless you take really good care of the leather. Even then, you'll get some creasing/cracking possibly. Still comes down to preference though. Full leather looks good. But in my opinion, so does the escaine.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The ecsaine is also very grippy. You're going to find yourself taking corners and turns a lot faster than usual in this car, and the escaine will hold you in place.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Ecsaine:
-Grippier than leather or suede
-More breathable than leather/suede
-No leather burns in summer
-No "stick" on bare skin in summer
-Looks like suede without the drawbacks of leather or suede.

Summary: For drivers who enjoy their driving.

Leather:
-Will convince those that mistakenly believe Ecsaine to be a cheap copy of suede (suede is not that expensive or particularly desireable in a car; see PT Cruiser) of the car's expense/luxuriousness
-Superior stain resistance than Ecsaine; mountain bikers and other people who have to get home dirty, take note.
-Reduction of upholstry cleaning techniques to just Lexol.

Summary: For drivers who enjoy their car in the sustenance of a lifestyle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I too have been waiting to see what the leather quality is like before deciding. What about the durability of escaine over time, and holding it's color in the exposure to the sun?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I dont know long term durability of the Escaine, but my car hits 1 year old on this Wednesday. It looks and feels the same as when I bought it, and at 17500 miles. I was a bit worried re: the escaine on the doors matting down like Ive seen suede do, but it still looks great. The black seat leather on the corner of the passengers seat nearest me, is the only thing showing wear. As there is no Armrest, that has become my armrest. RE: Fresno Heat, I was ridiculed by several people when I got due to a black leather interior, and this past summer all have told me how much cooler my car was, compared to what they thought the Fresno heat would do.

·
Registered
362 Posts
If you're a girl like me, then you'll definitely appreciate the escaine, especially when you're wearing short shorts and spaghetti strap tank tops! Everytime I get in my fiance's solara it feels like I'm searing the skin off my back and my legs, I now keep a flannel blanket in his car to cover the seat whenever I ride in it! 110 degree weather here in Oklahoma doesn't help much either!

·
8,880 Posts
My personal preference is ecsaine.
It definitely has advantage over full leather on a hot day.
If you drive hard, ecsaine is the way to go.
I trully appreciated having that option when I drove through West Virginia's hills, going 100+ into tight s-curves (no flames, please.)

·
Registered
921 Posts
Lexus leather is some of the best leather out there in regards to affordable cars. Better than Audi, BMW, and others. Look at the GS, that leather is nice and soft but retains its shape on the seat. My buddy used to have a GS and I always thought that the GS leather was the best I had seen.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Originally posted by bobo:
Leather eventually cracks, and other people have complained that the IS has low quality leather.
Okay, I just got back from sitting in the 2002 w/ full leather (@ Lexus of Valencia) and must say...To anyone in doubt of the IS leather quality, you need to take a second look. The leather is top quality. Very soft and buttery. i would almost say better than the GS leather. It is perforated for better breathability but it is first rate leather and changed my outlook on wanting leather or ecsaine.
Leather is my choice for sure. You have to check it out for yourself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts