Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok when it comes down to stuff I personally own, I get very uptight when something doesn't look up to my approval. I have noticed that the drivers side, left bottom corner leather part is starting to crack really bad. I take care of all the leather in the car with moistizer (can't spell) and cleaner. But only this side is starting to crack. I don't get it. Besides my cousins cat got a hold of the side of my seat a nd put holes in it, but that is another story.

Also my floormat is shredding apart and looks like ish.

Should I bring my car in and complain or is that sounding to anal. I dunno maybe I should go and ask for the ECU Update.

Is anyone else having a problem with these 2 things.

Anyone? Bueler? Anyone?

·
11,062 Posts
I think my vehicle is developing the driver's side seat trouble you describe. No trouble with the mats...yet...but then I only have 5600 miles on the car and don't carry passengers as a rule.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am seeing some wrinkling but no cracking. If you use a good leather cleaner and conditioner it should not "crack". Lexus provides a cleaner and conditioner but if you did not get that kit, order the set from Zaino. They have awesome products. I was very leary of getting leather due to the fact that every car I have seen that has leather, eventually gets wrinkled. Personally I am anal too, therefore I do not like wrinkles in my leather.

·
11,062 Posts
Originally posted by *IS-300*:
I am seeing some wrinkling but no cracking.
Yeah, I guess it's just wrinkling...I just noticed it about four days ago.

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
the is300 leather just sucks, happens to everyone i kno. oh well, at least now i dont have to care for them so much. i will replace them will new ones in a year or so.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Dear lord, if the wrinkles are the 1st step towards cracking, i am in deep sh*t. I already have a few wrinkles on the left back seat. Ah that would suck, i am majorly OCD with my car.
Sam

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yikes! It sounds like we have some issues! I also don't have any wrinkles and OCD I apply the leater conditioner every two weeks! I think I have some issues!

[ May 16, 2001: Message edited by: RodGrp ]

·
Registered
782 Posts
dose it cover buy the warranty?
if it happends to # of people it should be look as defect i whould think..

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
FYI:
Replaced my steering wheel twice within a 2 week time period (under warranty) for cracking/peeling leather on the the wheel. If you do decide to complain, be sure you are ready for an onslaught of questions. Both times I went in (to two different dealerships) I was given the 3rd degree about if i wear jewelry, or maybe it was my watch... Just be prepared to answer alot of questions

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
My seats are starting to show wrinkles as well (only had the car for 5 months, but I think this is normal). I've applied leather conditioner to them too--twice...guess I'm part of the OCD group too

Anyway, I have had problems with the driver's side floormat. The front center area that's sort of "cut out" in the mat, I've had separation at the seams direct on the side where my right heel rests when i'm on the accelerator. This happened pretty early on. Premature wear/poor fabric. I had it replaced under warranty. The scary thing is, I'm starting to notice it happen again...and I just had the mats replaced last weekend

·
Registered
17 Posts
The wrinkling is nothing to be too afraid of as long as you do not mind. Wrinkles WILL turn into cracks if you do not keep a good cleaner and conditioner on them though. If you do, they will only stay wrinkles at the worst. (From my many experiences anyway)

The floor mats do not surprise me. If you go to a Lexus dealership and take a look at the GS430 or the SE430 (the new convertable, think it is a SE) you will see that they all have the awesome carpeting and mats that Lexus is known for. Our IS-300's carpets is not of the same quality. It is better than many cars, just not of the typical Lexus grade in my opinion. The regualr Lexus carpet is a very soft and tight woven and our cars seems to be a looser shag type. Oh well, just another thing for them to chnage in 2002 while we all are stuck with our 2001's. Hehe

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anyway, I have had problems with the driver's side floormat. The front center area that's sort of "cut out" in the mat, I've had separation at the seams direct on the side where my right heel rests when i'm on the accelerator. This happened pretty early on. Premature wear/poor fabric. I had it replaced under warranty. The scary thing is, I'm starting to notice it happen again...and I just had the mats replaced last weekend
[/QB][/QUOTE]

Well at leasst I know I am not the only one. I think i am gonna bring my car up to conn. to get the ecu update, so I wioll see if they can take care of me.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
haha, I don't think wrinkles will lead to leather cracking. it just doesn't look right w/ the rest of the surface being smooth that's all.
however, my steering wheel leather is cracking a bit. I think I"ll just get it rewrapped in a year or so.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My left lower leather portion started to look like crap also. Per recommendations, of all places, Audiworld.com folks, I bought a bottle of Lexol leather conditioner,(not the cleaner) and it has done wonders to the leather. No cracks, just nasty looking wrinkles prior to application. However, now, no wrinkles at all. You might try a good leather conditioner, however, if it is already cracking, then it might be to late, time to get it replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i hea ya. I have leather cleaner. Zymol or something like that and the rest of the car looks awesome, it's just that one god damn peice that is pissing me off. I am pretty good with keeping up with my car that is why I am so pissed off. anyway lexus in hartford ct. is gonna look at the car on fri, while I am getting my ecu update......

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
12 Participants
Lexisny
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing