Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic has been discussed like thousand times and I could probably do a search, but here it goes.

I am getting my Silver on 20th latest this month. I like to know what I should do for the leather when I get it. Can someone provide step by step explanation? Also the brand of leather care would be nice..

Thanks!!!

sean

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
some of the leather care products out there specifically state "Not for use with synthetic leathers," which pretty much tells us to keep it away from the escaine material on our seats and doors.... so some people have previously suggested the use of Athletic shoe spray on those areas...

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
i use Lexol leather cleaner (orange bottle) and Lexol leather conditioner (brown bottle) you spray the cleaner onto a cotton cloth and rub it till it foams and then wipe it off then follow with conditioner and that should give the leather all the nutrients and minerals it needs so it stays soft and doesnt dry out and doesn't fade or turn colors. esp on Ivory. it says use twice a year but i would clean it whenever i felt neccessary, maybe 4 times a year. i wear jeans a lot and the dye tends to transfer to the leather (ever buy a new pair of leather shoes and thn have the back turn blue when you wear jeans?) so i clean a lot more so it doesnt set. (BTW all jeans do this, Tommy Hilfiger, Mossimo, Ralph Lauren Polo, dunno how bad Levis do though, I don't wear that brand.)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Might sound a little odd but one of the best things you can do for your leather is keep it out of the sun. And its inevitable parking it in a mall parking lot or at your job or at home if you don't have a garage. Tinting your windows can actually help from dry cracking your leather. Regardless if you treat it every 2 weeks... it will lost that brand new suppleness with time if its exposed to sun too much, and too much isn't that much at all...

To answer the question, I've used Lexol and Armor All. I think Armor All conditioner does a better job but it takes longer to apply. Lexol is a pretty quick job. But I didn't seem as satisfied with the final results.

------------------
Kenny
3.2 TL

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
i dunno much about armor all, i heard some ppl say don't armor all the dash cuz it'll make the dash greasy, but the leather conditioner makes it softer? lasts longer? do you use it in conjunction with Lexol cleaner?
BTW NextSean the lexol cleaner and conditioner should run you around $17 for both

·
Registered
259 Posts
Well I'm talking about the combination of leather cleaner with leather conditioner. To me most leather cleaners are about the same. Its the Leather conditioner that's gonna leave the lasting feeling and protection in the material.

In My experiences Armor All conditioner has a better, more soft feel to it. The Lexol I guess is more subtle or just isn't designed to last as long...

Oh yeah, and what are you talking about on the dash? who has leather on their dash? aren't we talking about leather cleaners/conditioners and not vinyl or plastic cleaners?

------------------
Kenny
3.2 TL

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
yeah, we're talking about leather care, but the dash was the only time I've heard about armor all until now, somebody asked if they should armor all the dash and a lot of responses were that it wasn't good and left the vinyl/plastic/rubber dash oily and greasy which attracted more dust. i wouldn't mind having a leather dash though, compared to the plastic dash on the IS now...it gets rather dusty rather fast and leather would look hella sweet but probably wouldn't be a prudent choice, too much sun, be a bitch to take care of...

·
Registered
666 Posts
DonColeone,

Are you using Lexol for both the leather and esciane parts of the seats? This topic has been brought up sooo many times, I'm still unclear on what to use on the esciane material.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Ultrasuede can be cleaned with mild soap and water. It's a fabric (high grade but fabric nontheless).

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
no, just the leather, the escaine/ultrasuede/whatever the hell u wanna call it doesn't require much more than vacuuming, my friend accidentally spilled a drop or so of soda(dr pepper) the size of a nickel and it didn't stain.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts