Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen posts saying that near 400rwhp you're on borrowed time, but what about if you want to basically garantee that you won't have problems? what's the least amount of power anybody was making but yet still had tranny problems? The IS has almost 300 miles on it and I'm ready to build a turbo kit... however, the wife might be a bit ticked if I trash her new car... I know about the R154 and of course the V160 swaps, but I'm looking to maximize power and reliability on the stock drivetrain... any comments?

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I think it is safe to say at 300rwhp you will be ok. You would still want to baby it and not do power shifts every time.. but it should hold that much power without a problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wxman said:
I am riding on much more than that.
yeah, but after doing some searching on the board most people seem to consider your car to be "walking on water"... there's always the people that are very lucky with parts, I just want to be well within the margin of error in case i didn't get the W55 that happened to be cryo'd at the factory :wink:

But i do appreciate the feedback, thanks guys!

·
Registered
973 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
ehh i know how your feeling..im going through the same problem..but around 300-350 i think should be alright....this is the only reason that an auto is better then a good old fashion stick...dam cheap toyota couldnt just put in a v160 or atleast r154 :pissed: :bitching: :whine:

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
mokujin101 said:
Wxman said:
JeffB said:
everything i've read (including this http://www.is300.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13320225&highlight=w55) says its the W55... the W58 is the 5-speed from the NA Supra...

anyone here actually running around near 300rwhp on a 5-speed? i'm looking for some indication of long term reliability...

thanks!
I am riding on much more than that.
what about your clutch?
i know that cant be stock
I have the PHR clutch and a stock flywheel.

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
im pretty sure the tranny can hold 350 unless you are abusing it. aka doing 4k dumps every other week. if you are driving the car normally or even autox style then it should last.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts