Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Kinda like "Learning to live with MS" or "Learning to live with Genital Herpes"!

Anyway...

I'm finding that VDIM is helping me learn the limits of the car with getting the pants scared off me. When VDIM kicks in, I know that the car tries to under/oversteer.

What I'm finding is that I can anticipate better now, and I instinctively modulate power and steering input at the right time. And then find that VDIM doesn't have to kick in as much, and I'm getting more speed out of the turns.

How are you guys coping with it?

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heard it ding a couple of times before, in extreme situations, it only beeps to tell you "you would be dead by now without me"!

I had another success playing with the limits tonight.
Picture a 90 degrees left turn after a stop sign, with a very steep short hill, followed by another left turn as the road flattens out.
I gunned it out of the stop, then throttled back 50% and let it upshift to second as I took the turn, then applied some power as I transitioned from turn to climb. I eased up on the wheel as I applied power.
The car climbed like a rocket, skidding left-and-right the whole time, with limited wheel spin. Traction control light flashed the whole time, but no chime and no power cutoff.
That means I was able to climb that hill at the tires' limit (since I had a little wheelspin) but without VDIM acting up (since I had some tail slide).

I think there's just enough forgiveness built into that version of VDIM that you can explore the limits, but you have to anticipate and be proactive with the steering wheel when you throttle up/down. Fun stuff.

Now I've got to work on my late braking technique (I suck at it.)

·
Registered
218 Posts
mann... sometimes i love it, sometimes i hate it.
but it is like a things that "you need" more than "you want"..
Lastnight, I was driving around the town as usual, found a HUGE parking lot about a mile off from main road. (industrial park type of thingy).. I turn off my VDIM,
man.. this thing can DRIFT. I am not talking about donuts.. it is a serius drifting. (i am a amature drifter from Falken, showoff evants). It is not as bad as my S13. I mean it. the weight distribution is perfect for it, the power of torque+ etc..
This is second time drifting a sedan (i have "drifted" modded g35 sedan). I still have lots to work on in suspension wise for drifting, yet the steering is perfect.
I am planning to turn this sucka into a show / drift car without a force induction.
But, not going off topic, VDIM is a must for daily driving in many types of condition of traffic.

·
Registered
14,187 Posts
Great topic! +rep when I can! :)

I've not yet driven with it disabled, but HAVE heard the chimes a few times, sometimes while I'm counter steering into the fishtail, other times just before I do so. I agree the VDIM can make a better driver out of you, especially in the inclement weather. Ideally though it'd be like BMW in that turning it off, reduces sensitivity, but holding it off for 5 seconds FULLY disables it. Would be fun to have some give there. That said, this car's potential is still impressive. I've had it for 2.5 months now and often can't stop smiling after whipping the tail out a bit! :)

BTW, the old fashioned trac-off button works well for slow speed burnouts! Had some fun with it tonight in the rain, managed to pull out a 180 from the stop sign up to about 20mph! :) Woot Woot!

·
Cone Killer
7,315 Posts
LMAO...at first I thought he was doing it on purpose, but at the end were he lost it completely, I figured he was not.

Yeah, this car, especially with VDIM off, you need to be very, very gentle with the inputs, steering, accelerator or brake, it will get upset rather quickly.
I do not think the designers had it in mide to have the car run without VDIM.

I will find out next weekend how good it behaves wihtout it at the next auto-x.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is another video on that site: IS350 with a Blitz exhaust. I almost fainted when I saw the 0-60 time, then I realized the speedometer is in Km/h!

·
Registered
191 Posts
He didn't lose it, he just did a spinout for show.

·
Registered
164 Posts
krookid said:
The driver is Keiichi Tsuchiya. Father of Drifting. Professional racer, One of the best drivers out there.
If you consider Drifting a true race discipline rather than a technique imnployed in driver development, then I would have expected much more controlled smoothnes throughout the run with or without the show ending tail whipping that was displayed. Couple that with the fact that my Japanese is a bit rusty--- there were a couple of instances where it sound a whole lot like "Oh Sietzah, I thought it was a gonner!!!"

But hey... if I want a lesson in car control, I won't be stuck "watching drift racing"!!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Well, If you can drift you can pretty much bet the driver is an excellent driver. It takes a great amount of skill to control a high horsepower car while taking a sharp 90 turn at 80+mph. If want to learn car control, drifting is the way to do it. For example; let's say all you know how to do is driving your car under a controlled environment ie. a dry street or track. Heck, you always know when you gotta brake and turn, but what do you do if you suddenly loose traction? Most just spin out of control. Well, if you know how to drift, you could easily get yourself out of a hairy situation before it actually happens.

·
Registered
500 Posts
F1_Freak said:
If you consider Drifting a true race discipline rather than a technique imnployed in driver development, then I would have expected much more controlled smoothnes throughout the run with or without the show ending tail whipping that was displayed. Couple that with the fact that my Japanese is a bit rusty--- there were a couple of instances where it sound a whole lot like "Oh Sietzah, I thought it was a gonner!!!"

But hey... if I want a lesson in car control, I won't be stuck "watching drift racing"!!
Well, it obvious you have no clue as to who Mr. Tsuchiya is. As krookid said, he pretty much is the "father" of drifting. Actually he's knows as the "Drift King".

Any ways, Let me translate what was said in the video.

Announcer.. "Wow,.... look at those moves"

Driver.. " oh.....oh..Good..Good..Good..Good!

Announcer.. "Wow, This moves like a high power drift machine." "no wonder!.... this has 318 horsepower so please don't try this at home"

I lived in Japan three years and married a Japanese woman. She pretty much translated this word for word. And YES, I reconfirmed the 318 horsepower part. I know that our car is rated at 306, but my wife is positive the announcer said 318 horsepower.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Michael said:
I'd like to see how the driver does in say a 330 on the same course. I wonder if the 350 is less manageable, and if that's partly the reason they made its VSC so tedious to disable.

BTW, +rep for the find.
how about a +rep for the translation :(

·
Registered
500 Posts
METEORO said:
LMAO...at first I thought he was doing it on purpose, but at the end were he lost it completely, I figured he was not.

Yeah, this car, especially with VDIM off, you need to be very, very gentle with the inputs, steering, accelerator or brake, it will get upset rather quickly.
I do not think the designers had it in mide to have the car run without VDIM.

I will find out next weekend how good it behaves wihtout it at the next auto-x.
If you want, i can lend you a dvd where he explains the basics of drifting. Then later, you will see that he was doing it on purpose. I can swing by your house and drop it off.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts