Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up my.is? I don't usually post much so sorry if this is kinda off. I have a 2002 IS300. So yesterday I noticed my car was leaking coolant after I parked the car. It would only leak when I start my car but after I turned it off and let it sits for awhile, it will eventually stop. I was hoping it would just be a hose or something. I looked underneath my car today and saw it was coming from this open ended tube right next to the alternator that is pointed down wards. I have no idea what this tube is for and it was hard to trace it because a couple things are blocking it and I couldn't see that tube from top. Has anyone else had this problem or can point me to the right direction would be very appreciated. Thanks in advanced!

·
Maverick
1,508 Posts
Isn't that the A/C drip condenser line? I don't think that's rad fluid.
If it is the A/C condenser tube, it's normal.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
That's the coolant expansion outlet hose. It sounds like your coolant boiled over because there is a tubing in the center of the fans coming from the top of the reservoir cap. At least that's what it sounds if you're sure it's coolant. The reservoir is only supposed to be half full. If it is expanding and expelling coolant then you have a blockage and that needs addressed immediately. Verify when the engine is bone cold and it should not boil over after 15 minutes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's the coolant expansion outlet hose. It sounds like your coolant boiled over because there is a tubing in the center of the fans coming from the top of the reservoir cap. You're boiling over? The reservoir is only supposed to be half full. If it is expanding and expelling coolant then you have a blockage and that needs addressed immediately. Verify when the engine is bone cold.
cool I will look into that. Thanks!

·
Maverick
1,508 Posts
I'm not sure.. but the liquid is pinkish so I'm assumed it was coolant and my tank looks low. I haven't had my A/C on for a couple days either.
Well then I would've said rad fluid for sure.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
No problem, Identify what fluid is leaking as mentioned. Mikster is right, '02's use the RED long life coolant band i didn't think it may be something else when it could be the evap drain or PINK sllc. I'd take a peek underneath to find out for sure what it is.

Edit: Must spread around Mike and totally had to redo post lol.

·
Registered
635 Posts
The water pump weep hole has a hose. Which is right next to the alternator. Try to clean the area to see where the leak is coming from and try to take pictures. A coolant pressure tester would help too maybe you can rent one from a local auto part store.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Have you had any luck my car is doing the exact same thing.
You have coolant leaking from the vent tube located on the front of the water pump? If so, that's the water pump weep hole drain and means the seal is going bad and pump is on it's way out of you're sure it's coming from there. It's cheaper to get a remanufactured and just replace.

·
Registered
01’ Is300
11 Posts
That's the coolant expansion outlet hose. It sounds like your coolant boiled over because there is a tubing in the center of the fans coming from the top of the reservoir cap. At least that's what it sounds if you're sure it's coolant. The reservoir is only supposed to be half full. If it is expanding and expelling coolant then you have a blockage and that needs addressed immediately. Verify when the engine is bone cold and it should not boil over after 15 minutes.
so How would I identify the blockage? I’m having this same problem my Coolant Res is Full. So your saying I have to empty half of it out and it shouldn’t drip from there anymore?

·
Registered
01’ Is300
11 Posts
Coolant started leaking like crazy from that Open Ended Tube I think it comes down from the Reservoir. I had added Some coolant that morning because I thought the Radiator looked a bit low, as soon as I pulled in to the parking spot and got out I check under The car and there was a huge puddle of coolant and it kept dripping from there. it stopped after like 2min and hasn’t done it since then (2days Ago) I’m guessing I maybe Overfilled and that got rid of the excess? My Reservoir is Full so maybe I overfilled?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts