Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,
I have a decent stream on coolant squirting out from one of the “plugs” in the side of my block on the driver side. It’s directly under the first port of the intake mani just to give you an idea of where it’s coming from. How would I go about plugging something like this? It’s pretty deep in there and hard to get to. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Maybe the head gasket. If you clean the whole area real good and let it dry. Take some basking soda and dust the entire area. It will give you a (slug trail) of where it is coming from.

·
Registered
639 Posts
It sounds like it might be leaking from a frost plug? I have seen them corrode through on older cars, but not heard of them blowing out on anything past the mid 80's. The frost plugs supposed to pop out if the coolant freezes in the block, reducing the risk of damage to the block. If the coolant hasnt been changed or if someone just uses plain water or weak coolant levels they can rust out, and they are usually just made of sheet metal. If thats it then it is an easy replace depending on where it is located, you may have to pull the headers or intake off to get at it if you cant reach from underneath. Best give the system a good flush before refilling with the correct coolant if it is the case.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ye
It sounds like it might be leaking from a frost plug? I have seen them corrode through on older cars, but not heard of them blowing out on anything past the mid 80's. The frost plugs supposed to pop out if the coolant freezes in the block, reducing the risk of damage to the block. If the coolant hasnt been changed or if someone just uses plain water or weak coolant levels they can rust out, and they are usually just made of sheet metal. If thats it then it is an easy replace depending on where it is located, you may have to pull the headers or intake off to get at it if you cant reach from underneath. Best give the system a good flush before refilling with the correct coolant if it is the case.

yes sir. As is turns out it is the freeze plug that has rusted out. The guy at the Lexus parts department said that he has been working there for 10 years and never had to sell that part to anyone, haha. Guess I’m the lucky one. Will have to pull the intake manifold and power steering reservoir. Looks like the previous owner hadn’t taken care of the car very well. Hope it’s just the one that needs repair. Thanks for the replies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts