Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I have been observing that pound for pound, Turbo Supras generally make more power than the IS300. Am I imagining this or is this true? If so, why? I suspect the intake manifold may have a lot to do with this since the bottom end is pretty similar.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
because the Supra TT's have a 2JZ-GTE block rather than a 2JZ-GE block which our IS's have. The 2JZ-GTE blocks can handle much more hp than ours, which were found in the Naturally Aspirated Supras.

·
Mr. Negative
12,388 Posts
I'm guessing you're meaning psi for psi....

My initial guess would be manifold design, because the IS has less room so the manifold is going to be more compact. Then I'd also add the head in as a reason.

Do you have a specific example? It'd be easier to compare that way.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Uhm you got it! at the same psi do the TT supras make more power? I have seen people make over 500 HP on less than 20 psi on a TT. Whereas I see people making 500 on 20+ psi. Turbo. I am wondering how much difference that intake makes.

IS_Dude said:

My initial guess would be manifold design, because the IS has less room so the manifold is going to be more compact. Then I'd also add the head in as a reason.

·
Mr. Negative
12,388 Posts
I haven't compared intake manifolds yet, but it's possible. The exhaust manifold is definately going to be more compact and restrictive for the IS. I'd be interested if the supra owners changed cams.

The only way to really test this is to have the exact same setup on a supra and on an IS. I'll volunteer. You can send all of the parts to my home address. ;)

Maybe gte or someone will have an idea.

turbo97se said:
Uhm you got it! at the same psi do the TT supras make more power? I have seen people make over 500 HP on less than 20 psi on a TT. Whereas I see people making 500 on 20+ psi. Turbo. I am wondering how much difference that intake makes.

IS_Dude said:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts