Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
10,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well recently I have been posting about MA and it's law enforcement, tryin to enforce traffic laws. About acouple of months ago, i recieved citation for no front plate and modified exhaust. I requested for a hearing, which i did get one, but i feel that i got screwed over. When the clerk magistrate called me in, they ask me a few questions, and asked to see the car, i told them it was at home, and he told me to get it. By then its 3:40, the court closes at 4. Worse, heavy snow and heavy traffic. I knew I wasnt going to be able to make it on time, so i called the clerk's office and told them the scenario. They said, there is nothing i can do nor they can do, so i am held responsible for the citation. If I cant get these two violations out of my record, it means I lose my license, i dunno for long or short period of time. I am definitely in need of some legal advice.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
those are non-moving violations, you will not or at least, should not lose your license over these, if the clerk's office says it too late, then i think your s.o.l. try and get the number to the prosecutor and talk to them to see if there is anything you can do

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
nope, if they told you to go get it, then the court was in recess. You have the right to ask for a continuance. They will reschedule the court date. There is no way in hell that you can be found guilty of those citations at this point. You came to the trial, and they asked for evidence that you could not provide at the time. They have to issue a continuance.

The judge cant declare you guilty when he/she told you to go get your car.

Thats illegal.

Send a letter to the court explaining in detail what occured. Explain that there was no ruling on your case and you want your case to be heard again.

·
10,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i c

those are moving violations according to registry. I myself, thought it was a non moving violation. But then they consider altered exhaust as illegal operation. I got citated b4 for modified exhaust, and it was surcharged, that was my 5th violation, so i had to go to a retraining course. Took it this summer, got my license back. Im hustling my ass off right now, tryin to find some help. I dunno what to do about the situation, tryin to call SEMA to see if they could help. I dunno if it could be taken any furhter since the hearing was yesterdaty Decemeber 5th, and they considered myself as a default. And another thing was my license plate was displayed, but i tied it to the radiatior, i didnt know when i drive it flaps, but the state trooper still considered it no front plate.

·
10,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
License Plate

there are two version of license plates. The green one and the red one. Green isnt issued anymore, those are the ones that only have one, but the red you need front and back

·
Registered
34 Posts
Kinda off topic-ish:

but in houston, if you are found Guilty of SPEEDING (not including if you plead guilty), you can still contest it up to like 3 times. So I wouldn't see any reason why you can't contest your ticket. Just call the clerk again and ask if you are eligable to contest (that might not be the correct word for the process. ..)

I always call atlease 2 different times, cuz if one person says no, theres always a chance someone else (in a better mood) will be more helpful. Especially in ticket courts, they get impatient a lot.

·
Registered
140 Posts
yea.. the whole Massachusetts traffic judicial system strikes me as something straight out of the dark ages. I just started driving up here (college student from SoCal) and just got my first MA ticket about a month ago. First of all, the ticket seemed shady: he got me going 45 in a 35 zone and marked estimated/radar as how he got the speed.. what is estimated/radar? isn't it either/or? I wanted to contest the ticket - I was going to use the whole radar accuracy is reduced in rain argument but I looked at the ticket and apparently they don't mark weather conditions during citation.. isn't that kind of important? then.. I went to the courthouse which seemed really ancient and rundown - they wouldn't let people even bring cell phones inside the building. There, I asked them if I could do a trial by written declaration because I would be in california for the next several months and wouldn't be able to make it to court. they had no idea what i was talking about - said i'd have to fly up to contest it. I asked if I could take traffic school to get the ticket off my record - they laughed at the idea as if it didn't exist.

Overall not a great traffic law experience compared to the one's i've had in cali. - seems like they're more unforgiving and geared toward punishment rather than teaching/improving over here.. hmm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
Silver_IS
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing