Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the latest progress, in the appropriate forum....

Just finishing up the rear now...

8/26/04 - It's Been a while but here is the latest progress on the IS. I have molded in the flares, and repainted the entire car with a slightly different yellow, and tangelo pearl tribal flames, still working on the front grille... This is a show car, but I still dont know if I like it or not...

Check it out...

I will also be updating my post in the Mobiletronics Forum with images of the progress on my audio install. That post is here.

Chris

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
The rivets look half assed, and it looks too low even to steer. =\

Did you monkey with the gamma and contrast, or did you repaint your car?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ÜberPhLuBB said:
The rivets look half assed, and it looks too low even to steer. =\

Did you monkey with the gamma and contrast, or did you repaint your car?
It's low for the look (keep in mind, it's a show car), and they are not rivets... they're socket cap screws... I would rather have socket head screws for the JDM race spec look, rather than a cracking flare sooner or later! And, yes the car will steer, a little...

(the car is raised for everyday driving and is not repainted... different camera...)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Superman IS 300 said:
very nice! Id just paint the headlights and fogs.
Thanks...

Are you meaning the inside? I would like to do this, but the lights that were originally on the car when I bought it were painted, they leaked and wound up costing me 500.00 bucks for a new pair. (ballast corroded inside)

If I could take the light apart with the ability to correctly seal it back up I would.

Chris

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
I just noticed you painted over your front turn indicators. Is that legal? The front Wald flares are covering up 1/4 of them too. :-?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ÜberPhLuBB said:
I just noticed you painted over your front turn indicators. Is that legal? The front Wald flares are covering up 1/4 of them too. :-?
Quit hatin... IT'S A SHOW CAR... also for an IS owner you sure dont know your car.... There is a turn indicator in the headlamp.

I also think that what was painted over when I bought the car is a side marker light... I just sanded the letters down and re-painted them, as to not notch out the Wald flare and make it look ugly...

Of coarse I can be mistaken, but none the less I have functioning turn indicators, so to answer your question, YES, ITS LEGAL!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
ÜberPhLuBB said:
its not legal...but who cares?! i dont even have side markers...
it is only legal if you leave the lense orange...anything else (painted, clear lenses, clear lens with orange bulb, etc) are all illegal...

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
chris_hill said:
ÜberPhLuBB said:
Quit hatin... IT'S A SHOW CAR... also for an IS owner you sure dont know your car.... There is a turn indicator in the headlamp.

I also think that what was painted over when I bought the car is a side marker light... I just sanded the letters down and re-painted them, as to not notch out the Wald flare and make it look ugly...

Of coarse I can be mistaken, but none the less I have functioning turn indicators, so to answer your question, YES, ITS LEGAL!
I know there are turn lamps in the headlight housings, mine are white, but I know for a fact that you need to have RED lens standalone turn indicators on the sides of the rear bumper, I figured it carried over to the front too, only amber lenses.

I'm pretty sure it's illegal not to have standalone turn indicators in California, but I don't know about Texas.

I'm not hating your car, I honestly don't think you did a very good job choosing parts. =\ The rims look like they belong on a Benz, and rivets and screws are ugly no matter what you want to think. The very least you could have done was puttied in the screw holes.

Also, not having a rear lip and leaving that part of the rear flares un-dealt-with is pretty sloppy.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
damn, i was about to comment on those rims... cause i love them!!! they are a bit benz-ish but look sweet as hell! where and how much if you don't mind me asking?

·
Premium Member
14,416 Posts
Chriss if i may chime in here.

The car over all is looking good, but for a show car, then i would fill the bumper lense area so your wald attracts the attention, not the painted lense.

just a thought.

David

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Agreed ^^

also why didnt you paint the red rears?

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
chris is BHP YOUR company?? or do you just work there?? i come down to houston alot and I wouldn't mind getting some install/paint/power coating quotes from you if you dont mind. PM me if you have a sec.....

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ÜberPhLuBB said:
The rims look like they belong on a Benz, and rivets and screws are ugly no matter what you want to think.

The very least you could have done was puttied in the screw holes.

Also, not having a rear lip and leaving that part of the rear flares un-dealt-with is pretty sloppy.

I see that you are clearly just hating the fact that my IS looks better than yours... The rear is not finished, if you would have read the post. And I DO NOT EVER do sloppy work. If you had the chance to see my past projects you would see that my work is clean.

There is alot more work to be done on the car, that is why this is called PROGRESS.

Have you ever had anything molded in? Well if you have than you know the problems that arise, cracking, bubblly paint. I dont care how good a body man you are this will still happen. Yes I could mold the flares in, or fill in the holes, better than most folk on here. I dont want that look. I dont want the hassles. This is why I chose the socket cap screws.

Why dont you put your money where your mouth is and build a show car!

I would like to see what you come up with....

This IS is not done... when it's done you'll be suprised!

10secondIS said:
chris is BHP YOUR company?? or do you just work there?? i come down to houston alot and I wouldn't mind getting some install/paint/power coating quotes from you if you dont mind. PM me if you have a sec.....
Yes I own BHP, check your PM

is300soon said:
Chriss if i may chime in here.

The car over all is looking good, but for a show car, then i would fill the bumper lense area so your wald attracts the attention, not the painted lense.

just a thought.
All the lense holes will be filled in. I am awaiting new bumpers fom my Lexus dealer. Mine are damaged. This is another reason why I choose not to mold the flares in. I can replace parts with out having to waste time and money molding-in/painting.

Chris

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.