Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Have you considered having your wheels repaired? I honestly did not know that was an option until I started watching Wheeler Dealers some years ago. Anyway, I would love to know if somebody has a good experience, because I do have some wheels with curb rash that I would like to fix. I just don't have a repair shop I trust, but these shops seem to have good reviews:
Ye Ole Wheel Shop
Kwicksilver in Fairfax
I did look into it and I would ultimately prefer refurbing them than buying unknown refurbs. Both places I asked for quotes from (neither of the ones you named) said it would be better to replace them. Of course that was before they attempted to find them. Both ended up giving me quotes of over $200 + tire mount and dismount charges on top each. So more than the 50 pounds Mike always seems to get them done for. One of the places I contacted is near my office in Chantilly and I may end up going with them.
I also just emailed Kwicksilver for a quote. Thanks for the heads up on them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have no affiliation with these local shops, but I would love for someone to be a guinea pig. :)

Please let us know the quality of work and cost if someone refurbs your wheels.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Called Kwicksilver and was told there's actually a rolling charge depending on the amount of damage. Up to $155. Plus, if it's bent then that's another $145. The Fairfax place is gone so the only location now is in Stafford (at least an hour and a half from me) so that's pretty much a no go.
The guy was nice and helpful. He's checking to see if the refurb place he'd send it to (he recently moved and presently has no CNC equipment so he sends the wheels out - should have equipment to do it on site by the end of the year) would allow me to ship it myself. But he doesn't think they will. So he's also going to search for a replacement for me. I am not holding my breath.

Picked up my bumper today. Looks good, not perfect but better than I would have been able to do. Only problem is two of the four the bolts I left in it went missing. I called back to see if they could find them but I doubt they will. I ended up calling a local Toyota parts desk and ordered new ones. They should be here Saturday.

It's one step forward and two steps back with everything. Frustrating, but I will persevere.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the update... that is too bad about the wheel repair. I assume that Ye Old Wheel Shop in Elkridge, MD is too far from you. Good luck with getting your bumper back on. I have found that even some of the basic fasteners (like the 4 for the engine cover) are special order via Toyota.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Put the bumper on. Came out nice and worth spending the $200 on it. Well, $205 since the locator screws went missing.

And I wasn't doing anything so I took the new wheels and tires over to get mounted and balance. I'm still getting quotes for getting the rears repaired. I'm not going to put the new rear tires on until the wheels are complete. But that means no alignment until then either. We'll see.

Continental ExtremeContact DWS06

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Minor update - I'm coming to the finish line, or at least, it's in sight.

I dropped a wheel off to be refurbished. Turns out there was only 1 7.5" wheel on the car. I had 3 17x7s. So I took the one already on the car to get fixed and put the "spare" 7.5" wheel on. Once it's back from being repaired, the car will go in for tire mounting and and alignment.

Today I spent a few minutes shaving the piles off the driver's door.
Before:

After:

It needs a good cleaning, but looks better.

So what's left?
I may take the front bumper to get repainted.
Moderately tint the windows
Paintless dent repair
Recover driver's seat
Timing belt service
Trans fluid change

I should have plenty of time to get it all done before I turn the keys over.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That looks like some really good work... digging into that dash means you are much braver than me. Given your ability to do that, I imagine the timing belt (and water pump?) swap should not be much of a challenge, especially if you look at the DIY on this site. I found the transmission flush to be pretty straightforward as well.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
I don't know about doing the timing belt. If I could get the crank bolt off with my air gun without having to hold it, I would probably take a stab. But I'll likely just take it somewhere after I accumulate the parts.
I can no longer convince myself that I am saving money buying the car cheap and working on it myself. I overpaid for what I got and I have come to grips with that. Now, I just want to do what it takes to get it to 100% so I don't have to worry about my mom driving it. But what I have learned is that I am a complete IS300 convert. This thing is a pleasure to work on unlike most any other car I've owned. After this, I see myself getting another IS, though this time a sedan. Probably in gray or blue, BLACK! interior and I'd love the darker Sport Design wheels.

Update time:

I got my wheel refurbished at Alloy Wheel Solutions, INC in Chantilly, VA, though that's not 100% accurate since they sent it out to get done. It cost $225. Once I got it back I took the car to get the last two new tires mounted and balanced and get a full alignment - which it definitely needed.

Here's the wheel that was the spare in the car that I did not repair:

And here's the repaired wheel:

Then today I took it to get tint applied. It is 35% all around and I had him black out the sunroof. It's darker than I expected considering it has the ivory interior, I hope it's not going to attract attention.

Next up, get my buddy to make time to do the PDR.

I should also point out that you need to wear a quality mask when sanding. I wore a painters mask while working on my bumper 2 weeks ago and it was not enough. I developed bronchitis the night after my second attempt at sanding it. I'm still coughing and it sucks. So go get some good stuff if you plan on doing your own sanding.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Today I didn't plan on doing anything but I got restless.

So I programmed a new key fob, the key itself should be here this week so I can have a second master.

Then I fixed some more of the damage on the front bumper. I decided it isn't worth the hassle of taking it to get fully repainted. Most of the damage is fairly minor, so I buffed the front and repainted the bottom side.
Before:

After:

And after an... incident... where I ruined the new shifter I got trying to fix it I received a new one. It took a little trimming for the shaft to fit, but it's on and I think it looks even better than the last one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't know about doing the timing belt. If I could get the crank bolt off with my air gun without having to hold it, I would probably take a stab. But I'll likely just take it somewhere after I accumulate the parts. I can no longer convince myself that I am saving money buying the car cheap and working on it myself. I got my wheel refurbished at Alloy Wheel Solutions, INC in Chantilly, VA, though that's not 100% accurate since they sent it out to get done. It cost $225. And here's the repaired wheel. Next up, get my buddy to make time to do the PDR.
From what I've read, air guns (even heavy duty ones) are not up to the task of taking off the crank bolt. With that said, the bolt is not something a large breaker bar and long pipe cannot tackle. Either way, I don't think the job is that difficult, and DIY'ing is seriously hundreds of dollars cheaper than having Lexus or independent mechanic in the area do it.

$225 is a little steep for the somewhat minor curb rash I'd like to fix (maybe it would be less due to less damage), but it looks like AWS, Inc did a good job from what I can tell.

Not to request too many favors, but I would love to see before and after photos for the PDR. I have been considering Dentmasters in Arlington or Detail Authority out of Fairfax (I think).

Good luck on the final steps!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
$225 is a little steep for the somewhat minor curb rash I'd like to fix (maybe it would be less due to less damage), but it looks like AWS, Inc did a good job from what I can tell.

Not to request too many favors, but I would love to see before and after photos for the PDR. I have been considering Dentmasters in Arlington or Detail Authority out of Fairfax (I think).
$225 is steep for as far as I could tell was a straight wheel. If you can find another local place or one you can make local you should be able to get minor aesthetic issues fixed for a lot less. The trouble is with machined areas they have to cut it with a machine that not everyone has. Full paint is easy.

I'm going to PM you my pdr guy's info. I'm sure those places are great, but I will never use anyone but him.
I tried taking before pictures of the dents, but I just can't seem to get them to show up. There's a bunch on the roof and a few on the sides. It's not the worst I've seen, but it will give him a full day's work.
The first car I had him work on was my Legacy wagon and before it looked ok, but people would mention some of the dings because they know how much I care about my cars. After he worked on it, it looked like it was fresh off the dealer lot.

If anyone else lives in NoVa and wants his info, PM me.

In other news, look what arrived last night:

Could it be???

The second wheel I ordered was wrong, of course, and after I sent it back the order never got cancelled since they were still trying to find a replacement. I never told them to cancel because having a spare would not be a bad thing, plus I never actually thought they would find one. Now to figure out where to put the thing.

I've got some exciting, and what I consider really cool, updates coming next week. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
This arrived tonight, taped up in a cardboard box.

It was shipped from Florida for $247, it's from an FR-S. At that price, I felt like I had to buy it. I have no idea when I will attempt to put it in, I'm going to be watching the thread where others do it. But this isn't a huge priority at the moment.

Again, next week should be neat.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Ok, so here's what I was so excited about last week:

So most folks will probably see them and say "Who cares? Tan seats, big deal." And for the most part you'd be right.
However the more astute of you will notice something a bit odd about the driver's seat.

Watch the link below.

That's right, the red marks you see on the headrest are from the dummy used in the IIHS crash test in 2002.

That means these seats have less than 100 miles on them. But what that also means is that they have been sitting around for 13 years and need some massive clean up.
I won't be cleaning the headrest though, I'll probably put that on a shelf, I think it's a really neat thing to have.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
I installed the seats today. Everything appears to work. The seat heaters aren't going to burn you, that's for sure. I'm used to having to turn them down on my Subaru.

Here's how they look.

And here's the result of not sliding it forward on the tracks before trying to take it out. I was super pissed.

And speaking of my Subaru, and being pissed, this happened to it on Wednesday.

How it normally looks:

Low miles, no accidents, rare 2007 wagon... I guess all it means now is I'll really never sell it.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts