Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So its been about a year since I installed the TE Max Power Kit, but I finally got around to making some vid clips :lol:

Here is the before:

mods: L-Tuned exhaust and TRD drop-in filter only.

http://media.putfile.com/ltuned

For whatever reason, I think I only revved it to about 4k rpm. Probably because the engine was still cold (hence all the steam). But oh well, that was a year ago, and I can't redo it.


OK, here is the after:
Mods: L-Tuned exhaust, TRD drop-in, TE Max Power kit (TE Intake, TE Header, TE Y-Pipe w/ high flow cat and TE tuned Emanage)
http://media.putfile.com/LtunedplusTE2
http://media.putfile.com/LtunedplusTE

This time I revved to redline :bigSmile:

And, of course, here's a pic:

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,564 Posts
have someone record it while you are driving. exhausts and cars sound alot different under load.

want to sell me those wheels?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AltezzaBob said:
have someone record it while you are driving. exhausts and cars sound alot different under load.

want to sell me those wheels?
Yeah, I know, thats what I was planning on doing next. :) Hopefully this will give people an idea of what it sounds like.

Sorry, I'm keeping the wheels. I love them. Last time I checked though, there were 2 sets for sale in the sale and trade forum ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,591 Posts
Wow, really nice car dude. Sounds good, but as someone else mentioned, a drive-by video would be key. And how warmed up was the motor before you took her to redline central? Might be a good way to grenade the motor. But cool all the same. Some more rep for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
341 Posts
aw man, sounds raspyyyyy! this should be my setup on my 05 is300 in the next few days as well. but after hearing this another clip here, i feel backing off again.

is our is300 all have these raspy sound in exhaust even with or without aftermarket headers on? :confused:
 

·
Dr. JDM
Joined
·
9,332 Posts
your garage looks exactly like mine
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,292 Posts
Joe, I hope you did'nt wake up anyone. :lol: Nice set up by the way. :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Split2nd said:
Wow, really nice car dude. Sounds good, but as someone else mentioned, a drive-by video would be key. And how warmed up was the motor before you took her to redline central? Might be a good way to grenade the motor. But cool all the same. Some more rep for you.
It was after my 1 hour drive home from work. No worries :approve:
And yeah I know. I tried to simulate the drive-by my making it sould like I was revving throught the gears. I guess that won't cut it :lol: I'll work on getting that vid made.

Dakomo said:
aw man, sounds raspyyyyy! this should be my setup on my 05 is300 in the next few days as well. but after hearing this another clip here, i feel backing off again.

is our is300 all have these raspy sound in exhaust even with or without aftermarket headers on? :confused:
raspy? If you think this sounds raspy, then you should definately stay away from ANY header out there on the market. This is one of ther more toned down sounding setups, which is one of the reasons I liked it. Are you sure you're not confusing my crappy camera microphone for rasp?

BTW, I put the "before" clip in my post so people could hear the difference with and without the headers and Y. I guess you missed that.

Gray Rider said:
Joe, I hope you did'nt wake up anyone. :lol: Nice set up by the way. :cool:
Thanks man. lol, no one was here. Thats one of the reasons it took me so long to make the vids, my neighbors are always home. But I got back from work today, and the garage was empty. muahaha
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
341 Posts
the videocam mic is okay man and played that "before" clip. actually, this is my choice of exhaust since i keep playing that clip from lexusgonewild site to blend my taste of sound. but not until i played ur before and after (w/ header on) clips. i hate to admit we have different choices of sound, i respect that. thankfully, u posted some clips of ur set up, i appreciate that. so that i can learn more of that blend of sound bothering in my ears. ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,141 Posts
I have the L-Tuned exhaust as well, and I love it because it is on the “stealthy” side. I also was looking at the TE header, one because I heard it was the quietest, and two because of the hypothetical low end increase versus high end (yet to be proved, I know).

My questions to you are:

1) Can you describe the performance difference above just the exhaust? Is the perfomance increase worth the increased noise on a day-to-day basis?

2) Sound-wise I know it is increased, but say if you were married, would your wife be able to tell that something has changed? If I did it, I would leave the stock Y, to keep the noise down as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,564 Posts
i think all headers/ypipes do that. it looks better IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Squareback said:
I have the L-Tuned exhaust as well, and I love it because it is on the “stealthy” side. I also was looking at the TE header, one because I heard it was the quietest, and two because of the hypothetical low end increase versus high end (yet to be proved, I know).

My questions to you are:

1) Can you describe the performance difference above just the exhaust? Is the perfomance increase worth the increased noise on a day-to-day basis?
Yes, the gains are pretty substantial. You definately notice it immediately. A header will give you one of the most power increases for an easy NA mod.

Personally, I feel the gains are worth it, because the noise from inside the car, when cruising, is really not that loud, compared to other exhaust mods.

2) Sound-wise I know it is increased, but say if you were married, would your wife be able to tell that something has changed? If I did it, I would leave the stock Y, to keep the noise down as well.
The noise increase is pretty noticable, but its not crazy. I've heard exhausts alone with the stock header that are louder. But it is noticable. It'll be hard to sneak this one past the wife. But keep in mind, I have the TE y-pipe w/ cat, and intake. I can't say what the volume is header alone though. I'll try and post more video clips of the car in motion. From inside the cabin, and from outside. That should help give you an idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,591 Posts
IS JOE said:
It was after my 1 hour drive home from work. No worries :approve:
And yeah I know. I tried to simulate the drive-by my making it sould like I was revving throught the gears. I guess that won't cut it :lol: I'll work on getting that vid made.
Cool beans. Just didn't wanna see you blow something up.
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Top