Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at an '02 IS, 5spd, navi... Has the factory installed L-tuned package. I'm trying to find the value of the car. Anyone know what this package costs new? The owner claims it was over $9K. Any further info on the package would be great. I haven't gotten down to see the car yet or drive it so I'm not quite sure what to expect. Intake and new exhaust system still classy or too loud? I want a good looking sporty/luxury sedan. Thanks for any help anyone can give!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
451 Posts
Is that the IBP that was on ebay a couple weeks back...FL area? I know that the Stage II was a $7700 option, but the buyer may have paid extra since it wasn't offered in blue. I think the L-tuned is great (see my sig...) and the exhaust is very nice. If this is the car I'm thinking of, they also had the 100K/6yr warranty. How much are they asking? I remember no one bid on the ebay auction when it was at $22,5K.

Edit: And just a note to add, an original L-tuned is extremely rare. The IBP Stage II L-tuned that I wanted to buy back in January (20K miles) got into some crazy bidding war and sold for $27K+ (not including tax, title, etc). I'm glad I didn't pay that, but I loved the car, which is why I'm L-tuning it myself. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, this is the blue/black IS in FL. I'm in Iraq right now only for a couple more weeks so hope to check out the car as soon as I'm back. So you think the package is worth paying how much over blue book private party? a couple grand? My problem is I change cars every 1-2 years and am not sure if I'd be able to sell it for what it's really worth since you can't quite factor in the L-tuned package in any book value. The vehicle does look in excellent shape and has 35K miles on it covered with bumper to bumper until 100K.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
There are other options to the L-tuned that could help you make your decision.

Carson makes a replica body kit that people have been happy with that comes painted for $1849: Carson Tuned Kit

If you are a person who wants OEM body kit that is rare, maybe its worth a little more over blue book to pay for it. Compare another used IS and add $1849 to it and see if the price difference is worth it to you.

Be safe and hope you make it back soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,595 Posts
If it is a genuine L-tuned kit which is hard 2 come by I would pay about a grand over blue book value if the car is well kept and good on the mileage. The L-tuned kit consist of front bumper with fog lights, side skirts, rear bumper lip and axle back exhaust. The stage 2 is nothing more than suspension like springs, shock and sway bars I believe not 100% sure but I know it is a suspension upgrade 4 the stage 2 L-tuned option.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,602 Posts
scEOD said:
I'm looking at an '02 IS, 5spd, navi... Has the factory installed L-tuned package. I'm trying to find the value of the car. Anyone know what this package costs new? The owner claims it was over $9K. Any further info on the package would be great. I haven't gotten down to see the car yet or drive it so I'm not quite sure what to expect. Intake and new exhaust system still classy or too loud? I want a good looking sporty/luxury sedan. Thanks for any help anyone can give!
The items for the L-Tuned package probably cost around $7500 uninstalled. With installation costs he probably spent $9000 at the dealer. I remember seeing the eBay auction for this car as well. I even thought about checking out the car while I was in Florida a couple weeks ago. I think that $22-23K is a fair price considering the rarity of the L-Tuned Stage II package and the low miles on the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
451 Posts
For you to L-tune your own car, it's going to cost more than a grand. With the body kit (extremely rare and 100% poly unlike the Carson-tuned...I've heard this kit is very thin and not 100% poly) the wheels, the fogs, the exhaust, mats, badges, springs, sways...you're talking several grand. Not to mention if you bought the L-tuned body kit (if you can even get your hands on one) they only came in black, grey and silver, so you'd have to have it repainted to IBP. I got lucky with my kit, but I saw a front bumper just sell on ebay for over $700 alone. Plus, a major bonus is that everything is under warranty through Lexus. The car is worth some money as long as it's been taken care of.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,602 Posts
hidinginthelight said:
For you to L-tune your own car, it's going to cost more than a grand. With the body kit (extremely rare and 100% poly unlike the Carson-tuned...I've heard this kit is very thin and not 100% poly) the wheels, the fogs, the exhaust, mats, badges, springs, sways...you're talking several grand. Not to mention if you bought the L-tuned body kit (if you can even get your hands on one) they only came in black, grey and silver, so you'd have to have it repainted to IBP. I got lucky with my kit, but I saw a front bumper just sell on ebay for over $700 alone. Plus, a major bonus is that everything is under warranty through Lexus. The car is worth some money as long as it's been taken care of.
Exactly. If I had the money I would've bought this car without thinking twice. It looks like it's been well taken care of.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
451 Posts
bchau_gt said:
The items for the L-Tuned package probably cost around $7500 uninstalled. With installation costs he probably spent $9000 at the dealer. I remember seeing the eBay auction for this car as well. I even thought about checking out the car while I was in Florida a couple weeks ago. I think that $22-23K is a fair price considering the rarity of the L-Tuned Stage II package and the low miles on the car.
From what I was told from a previous L-tuned owner, the cost was $7700 for everything (installation too). The $9000 I'm guessing had to do with ordering the L-tuned in a special color since IBP wasn't one of the choices.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,661 Posts
hidinginthelight said:
From what I was told from a previous L-tuned owner, the cost was $7700 for everything (installation too). The $9000 I'm guessing had to do with ordering the L-tuned in a special color since IBP wasn't one of the choices.
well...u could not order it in a special color thru lexus, that just was NOT possible....not matter what u might have heard

I paid $2800 for my entire L-tuned kit direct from a lexus dealer in california (march 2003) (minus springs/sways/exhaust)

the kit was black...cost me $700 to paint it blue...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
451 Posts
tsopranoMB said:
well...u could not order it in a special color thru lexus, that just was NOT possible....not matter what u might have heard

I paid $2800 for my entire L-tuned kit direct from a lexus dealer in california (march 2003) (minus springs/sways/exhaust)

the kit was black...cost me $700 to paint it blue...
Not true--the car I tried to buy back in Jan was L-tuned, IBP, from Lexus of Jacksonville. The owner was a member on the site, and she had trouble with a couple of dealers asking her for the full amount before she received the car, but the Jacksonville dealer let her pay a deposit on it and she bought it. Looks like the car for sale could be similar. There's a link to some old posts about it...let me see if I can dig it up... :)

Edit: Here you go...
http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=138789
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,661 Posts
hidinginthelight said:
Not true--the car I tried to buy back in Jan was L-tuned, IBP, from Lexus of Jacksonville. The owner was a member on the site, and she had trouble with a couple of dealers asking her for the full amount before she received the car, but the Jacksonville dealer let her pay a deposit on it and she bought it. Looks like the car for sale could be similar. There's a link to some old posts about it...let me see if I can dig it up... :)

Edit: Here you go...
http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=138789
that was ordered THRU the dealer then.... ;)

L-tuned IS300's were "port installed" at TRD in cali...Black..GGP...RED....ONLY
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
451 Posts
You're right, I couldn't tell you for certain if it was dealer or port installed, although I think she said she waited almost 2 months. But either way, it was through Lexus...one way or the other ;)
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top