Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As many of you L-tuned owners know, the skirt gaskets often need to get replaced over time. Unfortunately, since L-tuned has been discontinued, finding a new set of gaskets isn't the easiest thing to do. And if you do manage to find them (ie, Carson), they tend to be expensive - cost me US$65 including shipping. That's a lot for pieces of rubber and tape if you ask me. Instead of using my new set of gaskets, I thought I'd try and find another solution first. This might come in handy when one day there are NO MORE gaskets that can be purchased. In my situation, the skirt gasket sticks very tightly to the skirt, but comes loose on the side that attaches to the vehicle. It seems that most others are experiencing the same problem. As such, I've tried this new method of reattaching the gaskets. Time will tell if it works well or not.

First, use a heat gun to heat the tape and use a chissle to lightly scrape/push off the existing double-sided tape. The key is the pull the tape off at roughly a 90 degree angle to the gasket while using the chissle to separate the tape from the gasket. Otherwise, the tape will just break and you'll be pulling off pieces and chunks while leaving a crapload of glue/residue on the gasket. Using the heatgun, I was able to remove all of the tape without leaving any residue or glue.

If you look at a brand new skirt gasket, you'll see that it uses the same type of 3M tape on both sides, although of different size/thickness. One side is roughly .03" thick (side which attaches to the body) while the other seems to be 0.015" thick (side which attaches to the skirt).

3M just happens to have a readily available tape with very similar properties to the tape on the side which attaches to the body. 3M 06385 is a .03" thick double-sided foam tape used for badges and small trim. The tape is a tad wider than the original tape but still fits perfectly on the skirt gasket. In fact, the added width will probably provide a better seal and last longer.

One roll is 15ft long and is enough to do one side on both skirt gaskets. For the other areas of the skirt that needed tape, I used 3M 06397. They come in rolls much larger than what you need but I needed more so I could redo my rear valence as well. 3M recommends using 06396 adhesion promoter with their foam tapes. Body supply shops sold these in my area for over $1 a piece and only in boxes of 25. Instead, I used 3M adhesion promoter 4298 which is exactly the same as 06396. I was able to find individual packets of 4298 at a Toyota dealership for 10c each (I can't remember where I put the toyota part number for it, sorry). Here are the tape I used.

Total cost for reattaching the skirt gasket:
3M 06385 tape - $6
3M 4298 adhesion promoter - 2x 10c per skirt

I'll post again later to give a review on how well this works after a few weeks.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Great alternative! :approve:

You must show some love to other members before giving it to Platinum288 again.

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
it should work fine.

i reattached my gaskets using "home depot racing" tape and it is still stuck to the car.

though i'm still in search of an alternate replacement solution for the gaskets

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Hey Platinum!!!
I'm glad to see you picked those up from [email protected]
Awesome write up, when my ugly ass grey gaskets start to peel off my black car, I'll try your method before I use my black replacements.

Just one thing, the OEM rubber gaskets are T shaped to keep moisture out and off the adhesive. Correct me if I missed something, but your method looks like you have one side of the tape exposed... Now for us Canadians...do you think that might cause some problems this winter?

+REP!

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
happysmp said:
H
Just one thing, the OEM rubber gaskets are T shaped to keep moisture out and off the adhesive. Correct me if I missed something, but your method looks like you have one side of the tape exposed... Now for us Canadians...do you think that might cause some problems this winter?

+REP!
The method I have just replaces the existing double-sided foam that that's on the gasket. You stick one side of double-sided onto the gasket and then once you have the skirt mounted on the vehicle, you just pull the backing off the other side and adhere it to the body. The gaskets work just as if they came from the factory.

Thanks for the rep :)

·
Premium Member
4,978 Posts
Good alternative.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
TRD might still have some rubber gaskets. I had the guy work with South Bay Lexus since they couldnt sell them to me direct. Cost 35 bucks. I picked them up myself.

Its been a year and 6 months and those puppies are on there tight as ever.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After roughly 6 weeks of sun, rain, snow, and sleet...I'm happy to say that the gaskets are holding very well!

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If they use a similar gasket to the L-tuned skirts, I don't see why not.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bRibRi said:
No side skirt gaskets were included..... :suspiciou
I'm sure you could use the gaskets on your side skirts. However, since they are so difficult to find (and if you do, they are expensive), perhaps you should try using the gaskets from the Corolla or Scion first. But those gaskets are one-side taped only. You could stick the 3M double sided tape to the other side if you so pleased.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I really want to get some skirt gaskets because after awhile, my sideskirts tend to loosen up and not stick anymore

1 - 15 of 15 Posts