Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok.. so when my wheels were jacked, they dropped my car on the ground which also messed up my sideskirts amongst other things..

the body shop has been trying to find the weatherstrip/molding/adhesive piece that lines the sideskirt and attaches to the body, but has been unsuccessful.

anyone know where to get it??

the body shop is suggesting that if we can't find it, just use 3M.. but thinks the sideskirt might end up scratching the body because the sideskirt will actually be resting against the body vs. the weatherstrip/molding.

any ideas?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Lexotic Concepts said:
ok.. so when my wheels were jacked, they dropped my car on the ground which also messed up my sideskirts amongst other things..

the body shop has been trying to find the weatherstrip/molding/adhesive piece that lines the sideskirt and attaches to the body, but has been unsuccessful.

anyone know where to get it??

the body shop is suggesting that if we can't find it, just use 3M.. but thinks the sideskirt might end up scratching the body because the sideskirt will actually be resting against the body vs. the weatherstrip/molding.

any ideas?
Carson Toyota; ask for Colin

76925-x3501-BLK GASKET, #2 RH
76926-x3501-BLK GASKET, #2 LH
76927-x3501-BLK GASKET, #1 RH
76928-x3501-BLK GASKET, #1 LH

check to verify these are correct PNs for the TRD sideskirt gasket(s)

Good luck

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys... i would give rep if i knew how.. lol

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
as far as i know, there are no more toyota gaskets for those part numbers in existance.

however someone reported recently that the celica sideskirt gaskets also work, as well as the scion xb ones..

good luck

·
Registered
451 Posts
Ah, this was my dilemma for the last 2 months....and I finally put the sideskirts on yesterday ;)

Carson had about 2 sets left when I called them several weeks ago, but they wanted $50. So they said the Scion Xb gaskets will work but with modification for the corners (can't get a hold of Celica gasket)--those are about $12 each at the dealer. So after reevaluating the gaskets, I decided they were fine, but needed the tape. So I got the 3M thin double sided tape, used the adhesion promoter and it seems to work.

So it depends on the condition of the old gaskets--if they can't be used, I would have tried the Scion gaskets next.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Yeah just keep in mind the Celica/xB/Matrix/Corolla sideskirt gaskets are one sided 3M adhesive. The TRD ones listed above are double sided 3M adhesive.

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so what is the best way to go about this??? doesn't carson toyota sell a L-Tuned replica kit? dont' they use the same sideskirts??

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
Lexotic Concepts said:
so what is the best way to go about this??? doesn't carson toyota sell a L-Tuned replica kit? dont' they use the same sideskirts??
No they don't sell a replica of anything

They use JDM Altezza sides from Japan with the carson kit

Contact carson in cali

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I used celica gaskets on my sideskirts and couldn't have been happier.

I would like to state a disclaimer before continuing. I am in no way saying that the Celica gaskest are better than the TRD ones. I just wanted to point members to a just as feasible yet reasonably priced alternative. So please do not try to prove me wrong or bash on my alternative bc I couldn't care less as they have worked great on my car.

Furthermore, I'm aware that there is only adhesive on one side of the Celica gaskets. Truthfully, the adhesive doesn't do much in terms of holding the sideskirts in place because if the skirtskirt is gonna sag, it's gonna tear/peel off from the body panel with it.

There are three key points to a success and sag free sideskirt installation. These three points should be followed regardless of the type of gaskets you use.

1) You MUST MUST have the sideskirt bolted up to the rubber underbody panel under the sideskirt region.

2) Use adhesive promoter along with your doublesided tape as this really secures the sideskirts in place.

3) The skirtside will tend to naturally pull away from the body panel, which causes the doublesided tape to peel away and then you will have to reinstall a new strip of tape. I would suggest screwing an extra screw right above where the rear/tail stock bolting point.

Here are some pics of my sideskirts with the Celica gaskets:

·
Registered
558 Posts
I used celica gaskets on my sideskirts and couldn't have been happier.

I would like to state a disclaimer before continuing. I am in no way saying that the Celica gaskest are better than the TRD ones. I just wanted to point members to a just as feasible yet reasonably priced alternative. So please do not try to prove me wrong or bash on my alternative bc I couldn't care less as they have worked great on my car.

Furthermore, I'm aware that there is only adhesive on one side of the Celica gaskets. Truthfully, the adhesive doesn't do much in terms of holding the sideskirts in place because if the skirtskirt is gonna sag, it's gonna tear/peel off from the body panel with it.

There are three key points to a success and sag free sideskirt installation. These three points should be followed regardless of the type of gaskets you use.

1) You MUST MUST have the sideskirt bolted up to the rubber underbody panel under the sideskirt region.

2) Use adhesive promoter along with your doublesided tape as this really secures the sideskirts in place.

3) The skirtside will tend to naturally pull away from the body panel, which causes the doublesided tape to peel away and then you will have to reinstall a new strip of tape. I would suggest screwing an extra screw right above where the rear/tail stock bolting point.

Here are some pics of my sideskirts with the Celica gaskets:

i thought the sideskirt suppose to sit against the body?

·
Premium Member
10,782 Posts
sorry for bumping an old thread back to life, but I was wondering if anyone has tried using the rubber gaskets from the corolla S sideskirts on the l-tuned sideskirts?
Already discussed and it works. Just buy 3 weather strips for 2 sides. Our cars are a little longer than the corona's

i thought the sideskirt suppose to sit against the body?
Its 3m taped around the edges to keep it on the sides without drilling. The weather strips are to prevent water from damaging the tape.

I have the same sides on my car now. The weather strip is grey, not black:pissed:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts