Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decisions, decisions. Both upgrades would cost about the same, give or take a few dollars.

L-tuned muffler would give a few extra HPs without a loud increase in noise. 225 tires would fill the wheel well better and give the car a little better handling when cornering. Of course the car is only two months old, so I could wait until the tires wear out.

What would you do if you could only get one during tax refund time?

And if I did go with a new muffler, where can you get them installed? Are they difficult to install yourself, as I am no mechanic (although I did do the easy install of the PLP SFI by myself)?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
i vote for the l-tuned exhaust. you'll have to replace your tires eventually, so why spend your money (electively) on that, when you could get something else?

as for your question, i think any muffler shop can install it for you. ppl have told me that paying anything more than $20ish is a rip off...

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I got the lTuned exhaust after about 7k miles and I love it.
I'm still on my stock tires (Dunlop SP90000) and I'm at 37k miles with a lot of thread left... so those tires can last you quite a while. But then again, if you wanted wider tires, you could sell your old ones and not lose too much money on the new set.

I went a different route and got l-tuned sways instead of wider tires. Very big handling difference... very good bang for the buck. Got them for ~$220 in a group buy a while back.

I plan on going for the 225 tire whenever I do need to change though.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
get the sways.....buy tires in another year....you won't get much for used tires....even if they only have like a thousand miles on them....

get the sways for handling and the exhaust........

if you did your intake, you can do the exhaust

the bolts on the exhaust are on alot tighter and you gotta jiggle it out of the hangars....jack up the car and look at it, you'll realize how easy it is to do yourself.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I vote for the l-tuned exhaust... You will eventually have to change your tires...

·
Registered
565 Posts
exhaust.....i think you will enojoy it more especially since you have brand new tires. I dont know about you getting 37k miles on them, but they will last you a good 15-20....so when that time is up, hopefully you will have saved some, and you can get urself some 225 tires.

·
Registered
354 Posts
If you can, go with the Exhaust and try to get some sways. Everyone talks about them and if you will see why. The sways are great! The exhaust is great.

·
Banned
538 Posts
I wouldn't get the L-tuned if you want LOUD (as you implied) but definately go with the exhaust

if you want loud go with the Greddy Evo or HKS Dragger II ( I have it )

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
go for the exhaust.
You get to unpack it and marvel at it.

And then you put it on and it looks so clean..

and then you start her up..

click here to listen to the exhaust.

And then you buy a TRD high flow filter and get a few more HPs and you are done.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
nice, don! it's almost like you're telling a story with pictures & everything! ... :lol:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the great advice!! :) The pictures are very nice. L-tuned muffler it shall be come tax refund time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts