Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what mechanically is in the L-tuned IS that made it a second faster than a regular IS ? I am in Texas & I don't think L-tuned IS are sold by dealers here. I have a 2002 E-shift & wanted to make it a bit faster w/out voiding the warranty.

·
Registered
8,552 Posts
uhhh...you see that button up there...all the letters are in gray except for it, its "Search" nice little feature.

But the L-Tuned IS300 is discontinued. What made it faster were....L-Tuned exhaust and the Rays Engineering wheels which were like 6lbs lighter than the stock 17's.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
The only performance modification besides suspension was the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
Chan said:
uhhh...you see that button up there...all the letters are in gray except for it, its "Search" nice little feature.

But the L-Tuned IS300 is discontinued. What made it faster were....L-Tuned exhaust and the Rays Engineering wheels which were like 6lbs lighter than the stock 17's.
Ok, go through all this and see where the answer is. Plug in "L-Tuned performance". Lots to read here.

http://www.is300.net/forum/search.php?mode=results

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
The L-tuned was a cosmetic upgrade package made available as a port installed (PIO) or dealer installed option (DIO) for about 15 months. Now some may argue that the springs and exhaust were "performance" upgrades , but, give me a break.

Of course, this was before Toyota/Lexus realized that the sales numbers of the IS300 really, really sucked... and legend even has it that Toyota considered a supercharger at one point. :lol:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bk9

I'm in the DFW area. You know any place here where I can get good stuff for my IS ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
10 secondis & bk9

Thanks guys I got your messages. Your IS's are heavily loaded. I just plan to do the intake & exhaust. Can't afford much more than that, have kids & a house payment. Anyway got my 2002 IS E-shift at Park Place Plano, got my previous Lexuses there too but I buy my maintenance parts (filters, etc.) from the Toyota dealers (cheaper). Park Place can order the L-tuned muffler for me, but it costs $800+, might have to order it from Carson Toyota (no tax). The mufler seems to be an easy install, no welding needed just bolts & nuts right ? Is that Prolex intake for $200+ good. Is that the same intake that's used on the Team Lexus IS car ?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Re: 10 secondis & bk9

oniac said:
Thanks guys I got your messages. Your IS's are heavily loaded. I just plan to do the intake & exhaust. Can't afford much more than that, have kids & a house payment. Anyway got my 2002 IS E-shift at Park Place Plano, got my previous Lexuses there too but I buy my maintenance parts (filters, etc.) from the Toyota dealers (cheaper). Park Place can order the L-tuned muffler for me, but it costs $800+, might have to order it from Carson Toyota (no tax). The mufler seems to be an easy install, no welding needed just bolts & nuts right ? Is that Prolex intake for $200+ good. Is that the same intake that's used on the Team Lexus IS car ?
Hey man, The muffler install can be a real easy install IF you can get the car off the ground. The IS has almost no jack points in the back and is a pain in the ass. Its best to have a lift. Then all you need is a wrench and a little muscle to finesse the exhaust off of the hanger s and back on. My friends just helped me install my Dragger II today. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks LX4U2NV. I took a peek at it & you're right, lifting the car is the only hard part of replacing this muffler.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
oniac said:
Thanks LX4U2NV. I took a peek at it & you're right, lifting the car is the only hard part of replacing this muffler.
I used ramps and backed the rear wheels up onto them...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts