Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right so I'm looking into getting exhaust done to my car and was considering the L-tuned exhaust becuase my bro has it in his GS300. Anyone here have any opinions on it?
Also for those of you that do have the exhaust, what is the best intake to pair it with? I did a search on this so if I'm asking the same question don't blame me! Peace out

·
Registered
273 Posts
if you want a quiet exhaust it is good, its not to much louder than stock and it gives you like 8 rwhp I believe. If you are looking for something louder go with the hks hiper it gives you about 8 to 9 rwhp. I've heard both and I'm getting the hiper because I want something with more of an aggresive sound. If you have any other questions pm me.

·
Registered
876 Posts
The L-Tuned has a nice sound to it, a litle louder than stock (as previously stated)at idle and a nice deep sound under W/O/T. When I had the SRT intake with it you could not even really notice the sound of the L-Tunded because of the intake. I really liked the sound and performance of the two combined. I had the intke on for a while first, and noticed a fair gain when I installed the L-Tuned. I only say that because I expected not to really notice anything at all from maybe gaining 8hp. I was suprided by the noticeable change. I am still running the L-Tuned with my stage II and full 3" piping and love the sound.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I would have loved to get the L-tuned but just can't seem to want to spend the $. So...has anyone heard an L-tuned and a Blitz in person? If so how do they compare?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've been getting more interested in doing simple mods. Exhaust/intake being the main ones right now. Is there another exhaust that's similar noise-wise to the l-tuned? I really don't want a loud exhaust or a huge fartpipe (the l-tuned doesn't look too much bigger than the stock).

Also, how do you guys find places to get work done?
I'm not the most mechanically inclined. I'm way more at home in an electronic components store than something an auto shop or home depot even :)

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
rllis300 said:
I would have loved to get the L-tuned but just can't seem to want to spend the $. So...has anyone heard an L-tuned and a Blitz in person? If so how do they compare?
I have the blitz, and have heard "thedon"'s l-tuned exhaust. To me they sound fairly similar. At idle it's barely noticeable. Before and around 3k, there is a deep tone. Past that all i hear is my intake. Both exhausts are significantly quieter than the hiper. I don't know exactly what are the gains for the blitz (speculated 4-6, which is average), but the l-tuned does have documented gains of 8hp). I don't think you can feel the 2hp difference, but then again it all depends on how much you want to spend and appearance of the item

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
redlex15 said:
rllis300 said:
I have the blitz, and have heard "thedon"'s l-tuned exhaust. To me they sound fairly similar. At idle it's barely noticeable. Before and around 3k, there is a deep tone. Past that all i hear is my intake. Both exhausts are significantly quieter than the hiper. I don't know exactly what are the gains for the blitz (speculated 4-6, which is average), but the l-tuned does have documented gains of 8hp). I don't think you can feel the 2hp difference, but then again it all depends on how much you want to spend and appearance of the item
Thanks Redlex...as for 2hp, I didn't notice headsnapping performance with a 9hp gain with my Hiper (although it did feel improved). I am now going for looks and some sound. As long as its louder than stock and that the exhaust tip doesn't look like it can launch grapefruits, I'm happy. :chill:

·
Registered
277 Posts
I checked out several different exhausts and finally decided to drop the $ and go with the L-Tuned. It's quiet but has a nice tone and looks very nice. You can't go wrong with it IMO.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
u want not to loud, yet still agressive ? good looks, good performance ?

HKS DRAGER II

da best, satisfaction guaranteed 8)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Benign is right the HKS Dragger II gets you like 8 rwhp and it has a great look. Its also has a lower tone. The Dragger sits higher than the Hiper so its not as likely to bottom out.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
craniac24 said:
Redlex...can you tell me where the l-tuned gains are documented?
It was either motortrend or car and driver magazine that had a review on the L-tuned version of the is. The only engine mod was the L-tuned exhaust. And there it stated the 8hp increase.

However, I have yet to see a dyno for it.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
kuuligan said:
sorry, i am a newbie...but how much is teh L-tuned? Blitz? HKS?
tks
L-tuned: $609 (l-tunedparts.com Steve Ganz/Carson Toyota)
Blitz Nur Spec: $330 (check group buy)
HKS: I don't remember right now but they are also offered by Steve Ganz

·
Registered
513 Posts
I JUST bought a Nur Spec through the GB (thanks Rich!). Haven't put it on yet but will over the long weekend. I didn't want to spend a TON of $, didn't want something that was going to stick way out past the bumper. I was considering the l-tuned but from the profile pics I've seen, even the short version sticks out a bit past the OEM bumper (plus it's $600).
Another concern of mine was that I didn't want a "grapefruit launcher" exhaust tip either. The NurSpec is 4" in diameter, the stock is 3.5" so it's not THAT much bigger (an orange launcher perhaps?!) Oh well, that's basically how the OEM exhaust is so hopefully the Blitz won't seem too out of place.

·
Registered
513 Posts
redlex15 said:
Hoss,

Put the exhaust on already man!! :D

Let me know what you think.
I know I know. It's just sitting there....waiting.... Actually, I'm waiting for my friend who has a floor jack. I just have the stock jack and I don't think I can lift it high enough with it. Also, where did you position your jack stands? On my old Cherokee I could just throw them under the axle but I can't exactly do that with the IS. :wink:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
19 Participants
gavron1
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing