Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK,

I plan to mod my IS for performance when I get it. I don't, however, like the loud exhaust notes that come from a lot of modded "kids" cars that I hear. Please don't take that the wrong way. If the loud noise is your thing, then more power too ya! I can respect that, however, it's just not my thing. PS, I say kids cars because that's who I see driving the really loud ones where I live.

Anyway, if anyone has any experience with performance exhaust, could you let me know roughly if it's gonna destroy the quietness of the IS. I have no experience in this department, so I'm not sure if the 'loud' thing is just for show, or do all performance exhausts sound like that?

Thanks,
J

ps> I don't mind a low-pitched rumble kinda sound, I just don't like the weed-whacker sound.

[This message has been edited by Almost There (edited November 03, 2000).]

·
8,107 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it, factory tuned exhausts are never very loud, especially a Lexus one - it's likely to be not much louder than stock, which is really quiet.

·
Registered
192 Posts
wutever u do...don't modify the exhaust...
the is300 exhaust is truly optimized for the engine performance...

sometimes modifying the exhaust from stock can actually reduce ur horsepower due to air/fuel compression lost...

NRD
Toyota Fremont Cali

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would imagine that if L-tuned/TRD sold a performance exhaust, it would be "tuned" specifically for the IS to INCREASE performance. I'm not talking about an aftermarket exhaust.

Additionally, I thought I read that the engine puts out 215 (as opposed to the GS300's 225) due to "a more restrictive exhaust system". I could be wrong though

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
usually, HKS makes a couple of different types of exhaust for the same car, and they usually have one that looks stock, and sounds pretty quiet, but will yield more horsepower. HKS is kind of expensive, but IMO , you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
well, loud exhaust is not always better =) because o fthe way the m3 is geared, i'm almost always near or above 3k rpm and believe me, it is pretty loud from inside the car. from outisde its not that loud, until i hit WOT anyways =) i heard an is300 the other day at WOT and i think it's fine the way it is

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
7 Participants
mrclam
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing