Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
good for the money. wet traction isnt that great. but theyre pretty quiet and comfy. and look good too. i dig that groove down the middle of them

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
They are some of the best value in tires, but far from the best. Another good value is Sumitomo. They seem to have good performance at low prices.

·
Mr. Negative
12,387 Posts
You should be more specific. They have 2 street tires worth talking about. The 712 and the MX. I don't know of anyone w/ the MX yet but I'd guess that it would be one of the better tires you could get but won't last too long because it's probably a soft compound and because of it's relative shallow tread depth.

Many have the 712 and can offer advice on it. I want a report on the MX. :D

·
Mr. Negative
12,387 Posts
That's why I specified the MX, because no one has talked about them. :D The first post was terrible as it had NO information.

Have you heard anything about the MX's yet?

Lexus_IS300 said:
you guys don't follow directions well do you? read the very first sticky. search!

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I had the 712's on my GT. They were ok, but nothing special. Traction off the line wasn't that great, but they seemed pretty stable while cornering. I'd recommend them if you are on a budget, but if you aren't, there are better tires out there for not much more. And for the MX's, onre of my friend's with a '97 30th Z28 has them on his car. He used to have the 712's on there, and he told me the MX's have noticably more grip.

·
Registered
145 Posts
while our parking lot here is full of performance cars ... not one of those cars wears Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's ... that is a pretty telling fact from all of the performance enthusiasts here

·
Registered
416 Posts
while our parking lot here is full of performance cars ... not one of those cars wears Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's ... that is a pretty telling fact from all of the performance enthusiasts here
Yes, but I'm sure you guys get tires at different prices than we end-consumers do.

When I used to work for a bicycle mail order firm, everybody's bikes had top-of-the-line stuff, even those particularly anemic ones with gypsy-moth-like service life. "Value" to us wasn't a relevant issue with the employee discount rate that we enjoyed.

A good set of stock-sized tires can run us ~$800. That's a nice chunk if hard-driving makes them an annual expense. If tires costed me about 70% as they do at Tire Rack prices, hell, I'd commute on Michelin Pilot Cup's. But they don't.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Off-TRAC said:
Yes, but I'm sure you guys get tires at different prices than we end-consumers do.

When I used to work for a bicycle mail order firm, everybody's bikes had top-of-the-line stuff, even those particularly anemic ones with gypsy-moth-like service life. "Value" to us wasn't a relevant issue with the employee discount rate that we enjoyed.

A good set of stock-sized tires can run us ~$800. That's a nice chunk if hard-driving makes them an annual expense. If tires costed me about 70% as they do at Tire Rack prices, hell, I'd commute on Michelin Pilot Cup's. But they don't.
no comment ... but a good post ... there is however 1 guy using the Ecsta MX and he likes them alot

·
Registered
467 Posts
yes kuhmos r very good esp. for the price. ive had nittos before and the side wall on the driver side blew on me.

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Re: parts

edgy said:
hey Off Trac... what bike part M.O. Co. did u work for...?
& in what capacity....?

i am a bike nut & have prolly bought from all the bigger houses in the co.

just curious....

edgy
The one that (as far as I heard then, about 3 years ago) everyone hated, but always had the best prices: Price Point.

The job description was handling Internet orders and website maintenance, but I was more there as a general bike tech. It would amaze you how little some of the phone bank salesmen knew about bikes back in those days. They weren't riders then and the rest of us who actually were gradually cajoled them into the sport.

I still have a "Bike" magazine subscription, and recently I noticed an ad by what I believe was Jenson USA (really bad MO back in those days, advertises killer deals they didn't have in stock), showing two MO employees in two settings, the relevant one a balding and sleazy lounge lizard-ish type commenting to a customer about product he is trying to sell to the effect of: "yeah, I rode on them yesterday," whereas it was obvious he couldn't be caught dead on a bike. Most people don't know it, but that's a private potshot aimed square at P.P.'s operating manager/owner, Donovan, who is kind of infamous in the industry for being a IBD vulture. He kinda suggests that character, although an old friend who might still be working there really looks the part too. :wink:

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
Ahhh yesssss I have purchased there & Jenson many times i usually got the stuff that was special & pretty common, so i never got burned.

still ride much?

I am tryuing to keep it up but marriage & a new mortgage plus my new hobby ( da car!) is taking more & more time from riding!!!
I think I'll be selling off some bikes soon :cry:

take care..

Edgy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
12 Participants
edgy
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing