Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I recently began a suspension refresh for my IS300 and am having some issues. I don't really have anyone to turn to other than a shop but I'd like to complete this project myself. I was able to get off the stock strut and spring, and am now putting together the koni and eibach combo, but I just wanted someone with some experience to verify my progress. Koni didn't really provide any real instructions, so I was lost when assembling it all. Based on the pictures below, does everything look good? Also, the strut boot is a replacement I found at advance auto and rigged up to the old one.

Things worrying me:
-I can hear the bumpstop (oem one) wobbling around, its just sliding on the shaft hidden by the strut boot
-I believe that silver screw thing in the last picture is how one adjusts ride height, but I don't think I tightened the top bolt all the way down to it because the strut boot kept getting caught on the spring compressor when I was closing the top. (If that makes any sense)
-I don't know if the spring or shock is aligned with anything because I basically just eyed it out with the oem one.

I know its a lot but I really need you guys to help me out, I need to make sure before I go any further.

·
Registered
9 Posts
1. Your bump stop only needs to keep the shock from bottoming out, it doesn’t matter if it sits on top or bottom or floats between them.
2. The “silver screw” is a nut. This is a backing nut or jam nut for your top hat and top shock nut. This is not for ride height! This should be adjusted so that it just comes in contact with the bottom of the top hat when the shock and spring are assembled. Too high and you reduce the travel of your piston rod potentially bottoming out your shock before the bump stop, too low and the top nut will be your droop stop and spring compressor putting undue stress on the nut and piston rod. The location of the “silver screw” will vary depending on how you locate the lower spring perch. Do not attempt to compress the spring with the top shock nut! Height adjustment is made by moving the lower spring perch. Looking at your pictures it looks as if you have your spring perch in the middle position you could lower another half inch by moving to the bottom position.
3. If I remember correctly the white dot on your factory top hat positions forward and out but I think you will find that once you install these everything will fall into place.

I know this is a few days late but good luck!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. Your bump stop only needs to keep the shock from bottoming out, it doesn’t matter if it sits on top or bottom or floats between them.
2. The “silver screw” is a nut. This is a backing nut or jam nut for your top hat and top shock nut. This is not for ride height! This should be adjusted so that it just comes in contact with the bottom of the top hat when the shock and spring are assembled. Too high and you reduce the travel of your piston rod potentially bottoming out your shock before the bump stop, too low and the top nut will be your droop stop and spring compressor putting undue stress on the nut and piston rod. The location of the “silver screw” will vary depending on how you locate the lower spring perch. Do not attempt to compress the spring with the top shock nut! Height adjustment is made by moving the lower spring perch. Looking at your pictures it looks as if you have your spring perch in the middle position you could lower another half inch by moving to the bottom position.
3. If I remember correctly the white dot on your factory top hat positions forward and out but I think you will find that once you install these everything will fall into place.

I know this is a few days late but good luck!
Hey thanks for your response lockd80, I think you helped me put to rest my first and third problem, but I am still unsure of the ride height. So should I move my lower spring perch to the bottom position? I don't really want to drop my car too much for now, but I don't want it to be like stock either. Also, how do I adjust the backing nut so that it comes into contact with the bottom of the top hat when my shock boot is in the way? And how do I know where the best location is for the backing nut at mid perch? Sorry for all the questions haha I'm just a little lost. Would it work if I kept the setup I had in the pictures and just tightened the backing nut to the bottom of the top hat?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey thanks for your response lockd80, I think you helped me put to rest my first and third problem, but I am still unsure of the ride height. So should I move my lower spring perch to the bottom position? I don't really want to drop my car too much for now, but I don't want it to be like stock either. Also, how do I adjust the backing nut so that it comes into contact with the bottom of the top hat when my shock boot is in the way? And how do I know where the best location is for the backing nut at mid perch? Sorry for all the questions haha I'm just a little lost. Would it work if I kept the setup I had in the pictures and just tightened the backing nut to the bottom of the top hat?
It’s been a couple years since I have done this so I’m going strictly from memory here and I think I was wrong on the function of these nuts. If I’m thinking correctly now these are your droop stops. If the lower nut is too high you could bottom out your shock but if it’s all the way down it will only limit your droop. My suggestion is to just run it all the way down and run it there unless the piston rod is going to hit your hood or you get some better information from Koni.

For ride height I installed mine just where yours are and dove it for a while to let the springs settle ( and they will) and then lowered the rear only to get the stance I wanted. I then drove it for a while before I got an alignment. Your results may vary.

Mine squeaked so I installed these, Amazon.com: Energy Suspension 9.6112G COIL SPRING ISOLATOR SET: Automotive
fixed it right up.

Sorry about the confusion earlier I hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’s been a couple years since I have done this so I’m going strictly from memory here and I think I was wrong on the function of these nuts. If I’m thinking correctly now these are your droop stops. If the lower nut is too high you could bottom out your shock but if it’s all the way down it will only limit your droop. My suggestion is to just run it all the way down and run it there unless the piston rod is going to hit your hood or you get some better information from Koni.

For ride height I installed mine just where yours are and dove it for a while to let the springs settle ( and they will) and then lowered the rear only to get the stance I wanted. I then drove it for a while before I got an alignment. Your results may vary.

Mine squeaked so I installed these, Amazon.com: Energy Suspension 9.6112G COIL SPRING ISOLATOR SET: Automotive
fixed it right up.

Sorry about the confusion earlier I hope this is helpful.
You’re all good man, thanks for the advice. Hopefully my car doesn’t squeak with the konis and eibachs but if it does I’ll look into that spring isolator set.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts