Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need pictures of the perches, I see people talking about a 2nd perch or the upper perch and a c-clip.

I installed mine today and now Im way lower than I was with stock shocks and hr springs.

I have no c-clips that someone posted clips into the shock side and is upper and lower.

I didn't want to go lower at all, i wanted more support with the stiffer shocks but I have nothing on there that helps me go higher.

Any pictures would be great, any info would also be great.

here are some pics of the shocks i took last night just for reference.

Index of /david/koni

D

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
incorrect way to mount the perches: (shown on the upper perch)

flip the perches over. there should be some kind of snap ring or clip in that groove. simply take a small screwdriver and pop that ring out a hair so you can slide the ring to the upper groove. but see, the funny thing is, I don't see that clip in the first pics (like you had said) so I dont know what to tell ya...there should be some clips.

these perches are upside down too

edit: this pic shows the clips. you're on the upper perch. i dont know what to tell ya. that clip is what is at the bottom of the metal movable perch. if you are too low, i heard of someone possibly taking the shocks to a machine shop and having another groove cut, but I wouldn't trust that. good luck

Reactions: is300soon

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya i just tossed the cups on there to get them in the picture, they are installed correctly now. There were no clips included so it looks like Koni should overnight me some tomorrow I hope.

I spent all day doing this and it sucks. Now im going to have to rig a way to put these clips on asap.

Thanks for the help and + rep to you.

D

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
ya i just tossed the cups on there to get them in the picture, they are installed correctly now. There were no clips included so it looks like Koni should overnight me some tomorrow I hope.

I spent all day doing this and it sucks. Now im going to have to rig a way to put these clips on asap.

Thanks for the help and + rep to you.

D
wait, so the pics aren't of your shocks? cuz the shocks shown have clips....

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
^^What he said, and also you cannot install the springs on the shocks without the clips. Without the clips there will be nothing to hold the perch to the shock!

PS the pics above have all the necessary clips on the shocks.

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok you learn something new every day.

I have sold many sets of these in the past, but never opened the boxes or ever installed a set.

The instructions in the koni box are the SUCK! So after posting last night I started to think about it and not seeing any thing for the perch to clip on above these lines I had to assume thats the height im going to be at.

I'm on the upper perch from what I can see and tell now from searching and talking to others. My car just still sits way too low. I have HR stage II springs bought in early 01 or even late 00.

These springs have about 75k on them total from both of my is300s.

HR specs on these are different from the ones being sold now. Im still low as hell. I might have to switch to another spring soon, Im just not sure. I want to be higher than I have been, being so low has taken alot out of my car.

thanks for the help
D

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok so i was looking over the directions, look how they install the spring seat.

D

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Yeah those instructions are generic for all cars, the IS300 cannot have the springs installed in that manner.

PS your car is lower cos you used the lower of the the two heights. on the top two heights, you should have no more than 5mm difference between the Koni and the stock shocks. I couldnt even tell a difference when I used the upper perches.

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wait?? So is lack of sleep killing me here, i have them installed with the seats the other way like a bell vs what i showed in my pics above so thats out of the way, but i left the clips where they are and I would assume thats the upper perch right?

U have been a great help, but i need to be just a tad higher so im really curious where i should put the clips and perch.

D

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
I cannot really see the top picture clearly, but from what I can see, it seems you do have them on the upper perches.

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
I cannot really see the top picture clearly, but from what I can see, it seems you do have them on the upper perches.
Yes he does have the rings on the upper perches, which should give him stock ride height.

From what is sounds like, everything is installed ok from what we've confirmed over the phone.

I can't imagine why the car is sitting so low just after putting in the Koni's, if anything it should help it sit higher due to the stiffer shock not sagging like 80 yr old boobs.

check to make sure you flipped the lower perches over the correct way on each corner. If one side has the perches/spring seats upside down, that'll force more weight on the other side, essentially making it lower, also causing tension on your sway bar.

try to get the car in the air and take som pics of the shocks and the springs seats and rings and we can confirm all is good. Make sure to check out all four corners.

Kane

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

1 - 12 of 12 Posts