Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my car frequently (but not always) knocks in the front right wheel area when I'm braking. It sounds like a metallic clang of some sort. It only occurs when braking from normal city driving speeds (20s-40s), and more frequently happens when braking on a downhill. Like I said, it's periodic. Sometimes it will happen a number of times while driving around down...sometimes it won't happen at all, so it's hard to really pinpoint what situation causes it.

I've had the car looked at 3 times at 3 different places, and NONE of them can find anything wrong with it, or what's causing it. The last place couldn't even get it to make the noise while taking it out for a test drive.

They've all declared my car safe (it's passed state inspection twice), but the noise really bothers me. Has anyone had this problem before?? :confused:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Ball joint?

I know on my old car the ball joints would make noises a lot. If it is that, the noise doesn't necessarily mean the part has failed either. So the ball joint might be fine even if it's making noises.

·
Registered
854 Posts
The noise you are hearing is normal. there are many many threads made about this subject. search button can be handy at times ;)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The noise you are hearing is normal. there are many many threads made about this subject. search button can be handy at times ;)
it happens a lot. I don't see how this can be considered "normal", even if it's not something that's critically wrong with the vehicle.

·
Registered
854 Posts
sorry bro, re-read the post of the speed... the sound like that normally happens at less than 10 mph. I don't know what to tell you... could be the ball joint, bearings... hard to tell

state inspections don't really get all in the dirt about the car.

·
Registered
41 Posts
try to reverse the car and brake. Noise should happen. then drive the car 10 feet then brake again noise should happen again. its what my car does also. maybe that will zero in on the cause or you can bring it to the shop and ask whats wrong. Then post it on here so i can find out whats wrong with mine.

·
Maverick
1,511 Posts
So my car frequently (but not always) knocks in the front right wheel area when I'm braking. It sounds like a metallic clang of some sort. It only occurs when braking from normal city driving speeds (20s-40s), and more frequently happens when braking on a downhill. Like I said, it's periodic. Sometimes it will happen a number of times while driving around down...sometimes it won't happen at all, so it's hard to really pinpoint what situation causes it.

I've had the car looked at 3 times at 3 different places, and NONE of them can find anything wrong with it, or what's causing it. The last place couldn't even get it to make the noise while taking it out for a test drive.

They've all declared my car safe (it's passed state inspection twice), but the noise really bothers me. Has anyone had this problem before?? :confused:
I had something similar....turned out to be worn shock. I had both replaced under warranty.

M

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update to this - I've been trying to figure out if certain scenarios cause the clunking to happen more frequently and the only 2 things that seem to cause it more often. The first is if I'm braking to a stop from normal city driving speeds (~25-40mph) on a downhill slope. The second is braking to a stop at the same speeds while slightly turning right (like if I'm stopping at an intersection to turn right and start to turn the wheel a little into the turn before coming to a complete stop). In both cases, it doesnt happen every time, but seems to happen more frequently when doing both of these things.

Second, I really doubt that it's the floating calipers. It's not a quiet pop. It's like a loud metallic clunk. Do you guys think this could be the passenger side ball joint, or something else? My car doesnt make any noises while turning the wheels, which is why I didn't really think that it would be a ball joint.

·
Registered
355 Posts
My car was doing that also, moreso on the driver side than passenger... i replaced my brakes and made sure i greased all the components well and i havent heard it since.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Nothing to worry Bro.
That noise is Normal. It happens on all the Lexus ISs, SCs, GSs, and The RXs up to 2004.
It is the the play between the brake pads.
There are 2 metal pieces at the top and the bottom of the brake pads, on each side. There is a small, very samll space in between this metal piece and the brake pads.
When ever you start driving the car slow and the suddenlly brake, the Brake pads moves up and hit that metal piece. And then the brake pads stays the on the top for some time. then if you don't brake for a while, it will start coming down.
Same thing happen when you drive the car in reverse.

So, Don't waist your Time and Money by trying to fix it. There is no Updates for this problem.

Again, the space in between is Very small, may be about less than 1 or so Milli meter.

IF YOU NEED MORE EXPLANATION ABOUT THIS, DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK ME.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts