Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I love this car, but I'm letting it go. because I just dont feel like making payments anymore. Found a buyer and hes buying it for 19k straight up. Plus I drive alot and gas is killing me, I spent over 250 in gas alone last weekend. Kinda sad that I'll be leaving these forums in a few days... going to be a college student come 8 months, so I guess its for the better. :(

I have 8k+ to play around with and get another car. Thinking of getting an 96+ EK civic hatch, or another integra.

Whats a good car to get for around 8.5k which is my budget......?

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Damn Tupac sorry to hear your selling her. Bigdaddyrich is selling his integra for well below your budget and his a very reliable member on the forums.

Goodluck with school and everything.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Whats a good car to get for around 8.5k which is my budget......?
1997 Honda Prelude. ;)

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
actually I just found a 98 integra LS for 5k... one owner, dealer serviced, 140k hwy miles, never modded, 5 speed, black, new clutch, new everything... Not sure if I can pass this deal up

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
I'd get a Volvo 850 Turbo

·
Registered
23 Posts
im sad to hear that you're selling your car. when i first attended college. i thought i wouldnt need a car. boy how i was wrong. btw, that deal you're talking about sounds real good.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh man I have less than a week and a half to decide what next car to get.....

Officially here are the cars....

1996 Civic EX ; chassis has roughly 120k engine and tranny have 50k, legit paperwork on gsr engine, also smoggable. jdm tranny with lsd, random skunk 2 parts and civic type r goodies. new paint job, body is in immaculate condition. CLEAN TITLE. This car has only had 2 owners, and its been in the same family from older brother to younger brother. also comes with black gsr leather front seats.

got the guy down to 8k with some random audio stuff and no wheels.

heres is the next car,

1997 Civic hatchback ; chassis has well over 200k but no rust, tranny and engine have 50k mileage, engine is a b16a2 has paperwork for the engine, but I have to pay someone off to get it smogged (not initially though when I buy the car, but 2 years later down the road I will have to worry). Also car was originally AUTO the guy did a manual conversion, body is in fair condition, paint is cheap so eventually it will need to be repainted. misc civic type r goodies and random crap. CLEAN TITLE. It also has Civic type r carpet, floor mats and red recaros. This car is like on the 3rd or 4th owner.

the guy wants 6.8k for the car as is.

I know there hondas but there pretty decent for whats in my budget. And they both get upwards of over 30mpg highway and city is roughly 25.

If you were in my situation and had to pick between one of these cars which would you get? I'm thinking the coupe would be the best decision even though its a tad more, but it will just be less hassle down the road.

any input would be appreciated. :)

·
Registered
9,676 Posts
damn I'd love to sell you my Integra..... white/ grey interior with white Rota slips and pretty much a SOLID OEM never engine modded car i bought to commute while IS300 was being worked on. every OEM everything clean. its a 96 with 130K but I guess shipping would be a pain to AZ. Good luck on your integra, they are awesome at 35+ mpg!

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I like the silver one.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Get an integra shell and swap a k series motor in it. you get 200 hp and a 6 speed tranny!! My buddy just did it and he is getting it painted. He says it is the most fun car he has had (btw he drives a S2000 and 325Xi, the integra is his daily driver). I cant wait till he gets its back and take it for a spin!! If you are intrested i can contact him, he does have a lot of connections and could help you out if you are willing to do it.

Good luck in your decsion and school!

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
If I had to chose I say the coupe because everything is legit smog wise, although I still think it's a bit over priced. Your probably better off buying a bone stock civic and swapping in another motor for less then 8g's. I guess it all depends on what you want dont forget that Honda's are getting jacked left and right like nothing now a days. Not sure where your going to school but in San Diego it's no Joke and to me 8g's is alot to invest in a car that has a high theft rate.

·
Registered
323 Posts
id get a tsi for 8k

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
MIZIKETSK said:
If I had to chose I say the coupe because everything is legit smog wise, although I still think it's a bit over priced. Your probably better off buying a bone stock civic and swapping in another motor for less then 8g's. I guess it all depends on what you want dont forget that Honda's are getting jacked left and right like nothing now a days. Not sure where your going to school but in San Diego it's no Joke and to me 8g's is alot to invest in a car that has a high theft rate.
I know it does seem kinda pricey but the price isnt too shabby, I've been looking around for bone stock civics 96+ in cali and az and like 90% of them have well over 100k miles on the engine and tranny; they are still clean titled, but people are still wanting them for like 5k roughly.

So its like I'd almost rather spend an additional 3k and get a civic with a gsr swap, jdm tranny w/ lsd, tein ss coilovers, and a decent audio system and misc jdm and skunk goodies, and a prestine paint job and body condition. Granted he's giving me del sol wheels but they have good tread so it works out, All I need to be happy with this car is probably some rota slipstreams and xpel to protect the bumper and whatnot from highway driving. Which costs probably 800 total if that.

I've searched craigslist, cars.com, autotrader. And this is one of the few cars that I've come across that I slightly like.

here are like the mods that it comes with:

Engine:
1996 B18C1 ~50k miles
JDM LSD Tranny
JDM ITR header
Skunk2 intake manifold
Greddy exhaust
Injen cold air intake

Interior/Exterior:
New gunmetal paint
Genuine CTR steering wheel
Genuine CTR Front/Rear Lip, Front Grill
CTR style headlights
Integra GSR front leather seats
JDM Side marker
Tein SS coilover
Skunk2 rear upper strut bar
Skunk2 rear lower tie bar
Skunk2 front upper strut bar

Audio:
Alpine 9835 HU
Alpine Components

I dont think its possible to get a GSR swap and tranny for less than 3k.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
O.k. that one seems like a better deal than the other 2 you posted above. Just be sure to upgrade your security on that sucka to protect your investment.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
MIZIKETSK said:
O.k. that one seems like a better deal than the other 2 you posted above. Just be sure to upgrade your security on that sucka to protect your investment.
those are the mods that are on the civic coupe.....

LOL I thought about cashing it off completely, but I just got a loan approved for the civic 7,600 @ 48 months, 8% apr. So if it got stolen it would be such a big hit somewhat because insurance would only offer me X amount for the car.

I figured since my apr for my loan is cheaper than a few credit cards I have might as well just pay off the cards, plus USAA gives out free gap insurance. So I win with paying of credit cards; and insurance + gap will pay for the car if anything, its a win win situation.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Yeah so you got a some what win win situation then. Thank god for Gap insurance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts