Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only been registered on this forum for a short time, but I've been lurking for awhile and something here has really begun to piss me off. Why is seemingly everyone here an asshole to a teenager who drives an IS? It appears that everyone automatically assumes that no teen is possibly able to pay for their own car. Wrong.

Has it ever occurred to anyone that maybe a kid busts their balls to afford nice things? I'm the type of person who believes in quality over a product that may be somewhat cheaper, but a piece of crap, this lending to my purchase of a Lexus. Considering that I don't have house payments, electrical bills, or any sort of other financial obligations, I found myself in a position where I could pay for something nice on my own and chose to do so. I saved up to put 13k down on my IS and am paying a little less than $400/month while working two jobs. At the rate I'm going, I should be able to pay off my car in a year to a year in a half because I'm willing to work hard for my possessions.

I know I've posted about this two or three times before, but everytime I see it, it continues to piss me off. So from now on at least keep in mind that there are some of us out there who are willing to endure our share of low-paying, shitty jobs to be able to get the nice things that we want.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
Post like yours get into problems because you use the term "everyone' when referring to the posters on this site.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
i think part of the problem is that a lot of people our age are just plain irresponsible. over my time on .net, i've seen stories of a lot of young people just being plain stupid with a $30k some odd car, a lot of the times a car that their parents paid for. i admit that i've done stupid things in my car that i would attribute to being young and impulsive. i would think that's the main reason older IS drivers lash out against the younger ones (the whole "you're too young to drive a lexus/powerful car" thing), but there are other reasons i've seen too.
for example, some owners are older, and never had such a nice car at such a young age, and are jealous of the fact that people do now. others take offense at the fact that parents bought such a nice car for their kid, kinda as a sign of bad parenting i suppose.
regardless, the fact of the matter is who cares what people think or say? older people can be assholes to you all they want for your age, but as long as you prove to be above their level by ignoring them and focusing on the fact that you own the car due to your own work, and that you are responsible for your own actions with regards to your car, then they can just piss off and be their own miserable selves.
oh, by the way, bartkat brought up a good point. im not pointing fingers or trying to blame the entire older generation on this board, just making observations on discussions i've seen on this topic. actually, there are very few people that i can recall that caused this whole stir.

-eric

ps - in my opinion, i think that the general mood between older and younger members has been pretty good as of late. i remember when i first joined, every other post in GD was about how younger drivers dont deserve the car and older drivers are a-holes. i was almost afraid to post. :lol:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You have a good point about generalizations getting me into trouble and if you'll note in my original post I said that it was "seemingly everyone." Maybe it's just that I get offended when I read posts like that so I remember them better than other unoffensive ones. Whether or not this is the case, I realize that it's not everyone who acts that way towards teenagers.

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
:D good fer yeah on a accomplishment.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I helped pay for my IS, but I dind't pay for most of it, my parents did. Personally, I don't see a problem with it. I'm 19 (got the car a month before my 18th b-day), I've never gotten a ticket or gotten in a wreck in my life, and I've basically worked my ass off in school to get into one of the best engineering schools in the country and worked my ass off working the drive-thru at a fast food place for 2 and a half years. I know I didn't pay for a big majority of my car, but if a parent wants to buy their child something, who's to say it's wrong? I agree buying a kid an SC430 after they wrecked their Escalade is great overkill, but unless the kid is a complete screw up and can't take care of the car, what's wrong with a parent purchasing something nice for their kid?

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
im a teenager, i dunt get treated like an ass, reason? b/c i didnt run aroudn telling every1 i was 16 when i bought my car, age doesnt relaly amtter, we are all IS enthusiast and are here to help, doesnt help creating a post bagging on people who bag on teenager. and yes im a teen, just turned 18 while back.

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
I have no trouble admitting the fact that my parents got me such a nice car, but I take care of it as if it was my money that bought it. If my parents were willing to sacrifice 30K+ of their money to buy me such a nice gift, then I'm gonna take care of it as if it were my own flesh and blood, no questions asked.

But I do get mad, just like everyone else, when another 16 year old like me goes out and wrecks the car the first day he has it, only to get another one after he recovers from the hospital. People like that are seldom grateful for the gifts bestowed upon them and that just isn't right.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Nothing wrong with parents, helping their kids in life. My pops helped me get my 1st car, and because of that I was able to get my IS years later. I will do all i can to help my kid in the same way.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
T Man said:
I have no trouble admitting the fact that my parents got me such a nice car, but I take care of it as if it was my money that bought it. If my parents were willing to sacrifice 30K+ of their money to buy me such a nice gift, then I'm gonna take care of it as if it were my own flesh and blood, no questions asked.

But I do get mad, just like everyone else, when another 16 year old like me goes out and wrecks the car the first day he has it, only to get another one after he recovers from the hospital. People like that are seldom grateful for the gifts bestowed upon them and that just isn't right.
exactly how i feel, its one thing to buy the kid a car if he deserves it but when a kid screws up time and time again then the fault is the parents' for always covering their ass. But i kind of see the point of the older crowd around here (im 18) they have a couple points they stand by and all those are really valid.
The kids who do get bashed on here usually deserve it. I mean if you come on here acting like big shit then you deserve to take the verbal abuse that is dished. I for one came on here and have never been flamed about my age because i dont act stupid on here and watch what i say. The people ive met at our local meets can vouch that even though i am 18 i love my car and despite my age i still get treated with the same respect that all the other members get. It has to do with how you carry yourself.
Thats basically it, i mean i dont get pissed off that kids get bashed because frankly some of em deserve it, but i dont agree with the statement that a teenager shouldnt be driving around such a nice car. Thats false because it has to do with what kind of kid you give the car to

1 - 11 of 11 Posts